SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    info needed on new knife purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

info needed on new knife purchase Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Hello, I have several knives in my modest collection. My best knife is a TOPS rhino and I also have a "BBQ " dress knife that has a gorgeous damascus blade.
I am in the market for a fixed blade true fightin knife , my rhino is good, but heavy. I have a few hundred or so and I want something I can really hold on to.
It will be worn on my battle belt/SHTF belt and maybe see some OWB belt carry and the rare IWB carry
Suggestions??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fighting knife expert. I’ve got multiple knives that are billed as fighting knives but I’ve got just enough knife fighting training to know that I’m probably going to get killed if I’m ever in a knife fight.

My EDC fixed blade is an ESEE-4. If I have to use it to defend myself it’s got pretty decent length for an EDC knife and I know it’s a high quality knife. When the cops come to document my murder at least I won’t look like a total putz carrying some gas station knife.

I keep an ESEE CM6 in my bugout bag along with a Gerber MkII, but if the Gerber is only there because I really like it. I also have a vest for SHTF but the only blades on it are a Ka-Bar TDI and a Leatherman.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Beyond someone coming at me with a giant blade, not sure what would scare me more than a karambit. Stabbed is bad, slashed is worse, just sayin'. Doug Marcaida has YouTube's on effective karambit fighting.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use a Karambit unless I actually know how to use one. I've seen more than a few people that have sliced themselves up (especially on the wrists) playing around with them.

The Cold Steel Recon Tanto was my favorite.
Durable, held an edge, good grip. Lasted me for a while in some bad places, my little brother snagged it from me when I got out, he's abused that thing for another 25+ years in the Grunts.

#2 would have to be the Gerber MkII.
I like the double edged, because you can cut coming and going. Not super durable for serious field work, but a damn good blade. Handle is a little thin.

If I was dumb enough to go back into combat, I'd snatch up a Mick Strider. They are $$, but worth every penny. Built like a tank, so you don't have to worry about prying or twisting and it breaking.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Kerambits are specialty pieces.

Maybe look at Bob Dozier's various fighters.

http://www.dozierknives.com/in...icle&id=7&Itemid=108

He will make to order, but they are pretty available on the secondary market, like Arizona Knives.

From factories: K-bar, ESEE.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
For only defensive use, I would look at some of the more shank like Toor knives.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gotta say I've heard ESEE tossed around here more than a few times.

Not one bad thing said about them yet... That's gotta mean something!
Not saying that the Sig Forum is the "be all, end all" of Internet Knowledge, but the Sig Forum ain't been wrong about anything yet.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
ESEE 4 or Gerber Strongarm.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
can't go wrong with buck 119 you can customize it the way you want it https://www.buckknives.com/cus...pecial-knife/CKS119/

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
#1 choice is Winkler. #2 is ESEE.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If you want to save a ton of $. Buy a light, quality knife you could use for many things. Including defending your life if need be. Look int the made in Sweden Mora knives. Very good quality. Price is outstanding. Several models to choose from. Very factory sharp. I could go on.
Maybe not the sexiest of choices. But that is open to debate as well.

Many good suggestions in this thread. But you should look into these knives. You will be pleasantly surprised.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweden Mora knives

Excellent, thanks guys !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post