SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Experiance on Sharpening Systems. Thinking Edge Pro Apex vs Wicked Edge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiance on Sharpening Systems. Thinking Edge Pro Apex vs Wicked Edge Login/Join 
SIGforum Magician
posted
I am thinking of buying a sharpening system. I do have a spyderco sharmaker which is good. But, that's all it is.

I have looked around a lot and I think I have landed on either:

Edge Pro Apex 4 - http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex...ening-System-p7.html

Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener - https://www.wickededgeusa.com/...ion-sharpener-we120/

I will even throw this one in for consideration as people say amazing things about it but it is like $750 w/ the stones.

Edgepal Sharpening System - http://www.edgepal.com/english/chef-17907911

Any experiences / recommendations? Especially interested in opinions on the Edge Pro vs the Wicked Edge.

Thanks in Advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magicman_007,

Posts: 1091 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm a woodworker & I've used Japanese water stones for over 40 years to get wicked edges on plane irons, chisels, knives, etc.

A couple years ago I broke down & bought a Ken Onion Worksharp.
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sh...rpener/dp/B00EJ9CQKA
I was amazed at how fast I can get an edge on knives now. I later got the blade grinding attachment for sharpening blades on the lawn tractor, brush hooks, etc.

A word of caution though: If you don't have good, basic blade sharpening skills to begin with, the only thing a power sharpener, like the WS will do, is screw up an edge faster than doing it by hand.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

A word of caution though: If you don't have good, basic blade sharpening skills to begin with, the only thing a power sharpener, like the WS will do, is screw up an edge faster than doing it by hand.

^^^^^ THIS is what discouraged me from the Ken Onion Work Sharp. - It appears, if you do not have good knife sharpening skills, it is real easy to take off too much metal and round the tip of your knife. Smile

I have no skill .. lol. Was kind of looking for something relatively idiot proof or something with a learning curve that any idiot (I mean me) can over come.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magicman_007,

Posts: 1091 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I love my Wicked Edge.... it's expensive but its well worth it. It has it's set back as most single pivot system do. Would not get the Worksharp, you will completely, utterly ruin you tip on the first grind.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I used a Smith's bench stone.

Gets knives hair popping sharp

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
I went from the Ken Onion system to the EdgePro Apex 4. If I had to do it over again, I would've gotten the EdgePro 1 and obtained Shapton Glass stones or Congress stones along with a angle cube and a drill stop collar (to account for varying stone thicknesses).

To reprofile or take nicks/chips out of any knife I recommend a good diamond plate mounted for the EP in 140 grit or less, that will make quick work of it. I would also recommend a flattening plate to true up your stones in between sharpenings.

If I ever get a break in buying knives I might actually have enough $$$ to spring for a Wicked Edge system, really like it but pricey!

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an Edge Pro fan. No experience with WE, but I've heard good things. One thing that may differentiate the two systems is the 3rd party accessories available. The stock stones that come with the EP are marginal at best. You can get many of the more popular water stones (Chosera, Shapton, Atoma, even glass blanks if you want to run film) in pre-cut Edge Pro sizes. Not sure how that translates over to the Wicked Edge, but not being limited to whatever stones the sharpener manufacturer deems good enough is a real benefit.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post
Pittwm - Be assured, I would def ruin the tip of the knife with that thing.

toxophilus84 & snipes - there are sellers out there that have packaged the Shapton Glass stones, an angle cube and a drill stop collar (and a few other odds and ends)and that is the package I am thinking for the EP if I go that direction.

The more I look into this, it seems some of the WE people do not like the clamps system and they consider that a downside to the WE system.

The EP people are saying that the drill stop collar is a must have to allow for the the wearing of the stones / thickness (I know you mentioned this toxophilus84)and it seems to make that adjustment (and the drill stop collar solves the issue) can be a downside for them

posted Hide Post
The drill stop collar is inexpensive enough that I wouldn't NOT get it. I don't consider it essential, it just cuts down on having to recheck angles (with the cube) during stone changes. Personally I don't use it even though I have one. My current stone progression is all Shapton GS and they are all close enough in thickness that I don't sweat it. Now if I was mixing and matching stones then yeah it would be more helpful.

You don't need to go overboard right out of the gate, but general rule of thumb is to try to stay as close to 2x jump in micron size in between stones. So something like 500,1000,2000,4000 would be preferential over something like 320,1000,6000. You can always fill in gaps or expand down the road.
I'm also a big believer in stropping so you can delay having to get the stones out as often.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post
The set up I am looking at includes:

Drill Stop Collar
Platform Magnet
Quick Change Spring
20x Loupe
Angle Cube
Shapton Glass 320 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 500 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 1,000 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 4,000 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 6,000 Grit Stone
1" x 6" Leather Strop

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
A couple years ago I broke down & bought a Ken Onion Worksharp.
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sh...rpener/dp/B00EJ9CQKA
I was amazed at how fast I can get an edge on knives now. I later got the blade grinding attachment for sharpening blades on the lawn tractor, brush hooks, etc.

I bought one this year. Works really, really well, fast too compared to stones.
(anything is fast compared to bench stones)
There's no way I would drop well over $200 on the other systems unless I had a business that needed it...I don't.

I used to like to sharpen knives...USED TO.
The fun factor just isn't there when ALL the kitchen, pocket and general misc BS knives need work. Now, since the initial edge contour is already there, a touch up of *all* the knives that need it takes 5 minutes TOPS.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magicman_007:
The set up I am looking at includes:

Drill Stop Collar
Platform Magnet
Quick Change Spring
20x Loupe
Angle Cube
Shapton Glass 320 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 500 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 1,000 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 4,000 Grit Stone
Shapton Glass 6,000 Grit Stone
1" x 6" Leather Strop

That's a very comprehensive set and should serve you well. The only thing I'd personally opt out on is the EP sized strop. The purpose of a strop is to avoid having to get out the stones or in this case the EP and muck with setting it up. I can see it being a nice way to finish the edge after sharpening, but I personally would never get the system out just to take advantage of the strop.

Consider adding a full sized strop(3" x 11"??)down the road along with a full sized diamond plate to keep the stones flat. Neither of things are needed from the get go.

Picture of chris240
posted Hide Post
Edge Pro is messy......unless you tape up the blade the slurry you create will scratch the knife a bit as you're trying to hold it...which is another pain in the ass.

Went with the KME system and haven't been happier.

Posts: 644 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I like the Wicked Edge. I have no sharpening skills but I can really put an edge on a blade with this thing. As others have said it is not cheap, but I won't be selling mine. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post
KMitch200 - I have looked at the Ken Onion Worksharp. I am afraid I may mess up / ruin my knife with that. All that being said, in another thread someone posted an attachment to the Ken Onion Worksharp that looks like it makes it easier, more precise and less likely for me to ruin my knife.

chris240 - Thanks for the tip. If I get this I will DEF make sure to tape up my knife! I will look at the KME System

got2have1 - That is encouraging as I have no skills either Smile

Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
Worksharp rig is just too fast and unforgiving ... I finally brought it to work for sharpening our kitchen cleavers, even that cause unevenness on the bevel and rounded the sq shape of the cleaver....

It does work super fast, a couple of passes, the cleavers is really sharp...

There another system people seem to like, KME I think, it's sorta a hybrid of APEX And WE.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
Also, some Russian is making a system call Hapstone, it's a knockoff of APEX.

posted Hide Post
The Wicked Edge looks to be a nice system but I've not yet justified it costing multiples of an Edge-Pro. Of course if you add up the Tormek, 30-40 Waterstones, Ken Onion etc I've spent WAAAY more than the Wicked Edge overall. Still don't know that it's worth the money.

Watch the Murray Carter video's. He's WON actual sharpening competitions using 1000 and 6000 grit King waterstones and newspaper. You can buy a 1000/6000 grit stone for $40-$80 depending on the size.

With Sharpening, Skills are more important than the tools.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son showed up from hunting with buddies after using their Lansky System. His edge was crazy sharp. Perfect. It seemed a bit slow so I bought the Edgepro thinking it costs 4 times as much it must be better. It's even slower. Frankly, I'd much prefer getting out a flat 2 sided diamond stone and in 2 min on 2 different grits it's 90 percent there.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
My son showed up from hunting with buddies after using their Lansky System. His edge was crazy sharp. Perfect. It seemed a bit slow so I bought the Edgepro thinking it costs 4 times as much it must be better. It's even slower. Frankly, I'd much prefer getting out a flat 2 sided diamond stone and in 2 min on 2 different grits it's 90 percent there.

You just need better stones for the edge pro. If you want fast try the diamond stones from Chef knives to go. The Shaptons are extra nice......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post