SIGforum
Knife and leather sheath cleaning and storage questions

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/6460017194

May 02, 2022, 01:26 PM
nukeandpave
Knife and leather sheath cleaning and storage questions
I inherited a Puma White Hunter, probably made in the late 60s or early 70s. I dont think it has ever been used. It was stored in its sheath most of its existence so I'm a bit surprised its in such good condition.

The leather sheath needs cleaning and there is green corrosion on the metal. I have read on this forum not to use saddle soap on holsters but I'm not sure if that applies to this sheath. What should I use?

There is minor corrosion on the pins holding the stag handles in place. I'd like to clean that up but not sure what to use that will not damage the scales.

I have left the knife out of its sheath just lying on the shelf. How are you supposed to store knives?

My safe came with a golden rod type device. Would a big dessicant can work better?

May 03, 2022, 05:55 PM
rburg
That little bit of corrosion is nothing to be concerned over. If you hadn't been abusing the knife by lack of use, it'd look as good as new. Just start a new routine of eating your steak with it and soon you won't even see the green.

Unhappy ammo seeker
May 04, 2022, 08:35 AM
220-9er
Looks great considering the age.
I'd use some Obenauf's leather treatment (as recommended by many of the better belt and holster makers) of some sort to protect the leather and rubbing it on the discolored area might remove much of that rub mark. This will initially darken the leather, it does on my belt and holsters, but it will return to normal in a few days or less.
Try a dental pick to very carefully remove and chunks of the green corrosion without scratching the leather. Then lightly clean the metal with a fine Scotchbrite material.
I can't really see the areas on the knife handle in the photos enough to comment.

https://www.obenaufs.com/natur...ls-p/leather-oil.htm

May 04, 2022, 01:26 PM
jhe888
No Scotchbrite. Too abrasive.

Toothbrush the loose corrosion off the metal. Then use some Simichrome or Flitz polish to shine the brass. Both are polishes with some very fine abrasive which will bring the brass up to a shine and protect it. But no scratches.

I think a dedicated leather cleaner and separate conditioner will improve your sheath. I have always liked Lexol's cleaner and its conditioner.

Nice knife. Good find.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
May 04, 2022, 01:54 PM
nukeandpave
Thanks for the advice.
My maternal grandparents gave it to my Dad.