SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thinking of a benchmade knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a benchmade knife Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
My current knife is a Kershaw scallion works fine but I want something a little nicer, I have always wanted a Benchmade since they are a local company and I have heard good things about them.

So which one would be a good edc ? I like the automatic idea or at least a assisted one. I just don't want to really know it's there all the time so size does matter.

Thanks !

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you use the kershaw for?

Imho the best everyday carry benchmade is their
940 and 940-1 Osborne knife. Depending on what you do with your kershaw amd how you use it, i can narrow it down.

Autos are nice, they are stupidly expensive. They also have limited use. Cross into vancouver Wa and you are breaking the law. Fish on washingtons side of the columbia and you guessed it.

Benchmades axis lock is fast and durable.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lust for this Benchmade Auto but can't legally own one. The symmetry and balance are perfect to me. I've hade the manual one at least 4 times.

quote:
Benchmade Mel Pardue 3550 Automatic Knife (2.98" Satin)

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Benchmade has a very nice assisted opening knife in the Barrage, I own the mini Barrage, 2.91" blade, 154CM stainless.

https://www.knifeworks.com/ben...ing-plain-edge.html?

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Try one of the Benchmade Axis lock knives. http://www.benchmade.com/blue-...ml?locking_mech=1661 The exact model you end up with will depend on exactly what you want, and what your price range is.

The Griptilian and Mini Griptilian are kind of the "flagship" Axis lock knives, and are some of the most popular choices for pocket knives these days. But those are manual openers. They can be found for around $100.

The Barrage and Mini Barrage are similar to the Griptilian family, but with assisted opening, if that's what you want. Those can be found for under $150.

The Volli is a little bit of a step up from the Barrage. It's also an assisted opener. Those can be found for just over $150.

The 940 as mentioned by DSGrouse is also a great choice, but it's a manual, and at ~$180-$200 is a little more expensive than the others I've mentioned. It's skinnier than the others, but also a bit fancier.

There are several other Axis lock models available as well, some of which run into the several hundreds of dollars, if you're looking for something extra nice.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benchmades new nakamura in carbon fiber is super nice.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I love my 940-2. The 940 series is super light, long blade for its size, and available in several steels.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

940 and 940-1 Osborne knife. Depending on what you do with your kershaw amd how you use it, i can narrow it down.

Autos are nice, they are stupidly expensive. They also have limited use. Cross into vancouver Wa and you are breaking the law. Fish on washingtons side of the columbia and you guessed it.

I just use it for everyday things like opening boxes, fishing, pencil sharpener etc

posted Hide Post
I would recommend you get a 710 while you still can. Even though it is a big knife, it is thin so it carries like a smaller one. I forget mine is there when I carry it.

I'm not sure how long the Knifeworks exclusive will be available so you really should snatch one up. AFAIK, it is the only 710 still available for sale anywhere.

https://www.knifeworks.com/ben...lade-plain-edge.html

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

I just use it for everyday things like opening boxes, fishing, pencil sharpener etc

The 3550 mentioned earlier would be a good one to get. It's been updated to the 3551 model number with a larger firing button. It's got a gorgeous, thin little blade perfect for the tasks you are talking about. You really should have at least one auto.

https://www.bladeops.com/Bench...in-Edg-p/ben3551.htm

But that's after you get a 710.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I have daily-carried a Griptillian for I don't even remember how long. The Axis lock is unreal. I can flip that Grip open one-handed faster than the semi-auto Axis Assist Barrage that I also own. Bonus is that I can flip the Grip closed as well. Can't do that with the Axis Assist Barrage!

The Griptillian is everything you need in a EDC knife. It's not fancy. It's not some uber-steel. It's plastic and metal. It holds an edge and it's easy to sharpen.

There was about a 2-week period where I couldn't find my Grip, and I was pretty convinced I lost it on a wildfire. I had already determined I was replacing it with another Griptillian. Then I found it, and did a happy-dance.

I own ten knives, I carry the Griptillian 90% of the time, and it's not because the others are bad knives. They just don't do everything as well as the Grip does. You can't find a better folding knife for around $100.

If you have your heart set on fancy, I also like my Axis Assist Barrage, but it's marginally heavier than the Grip, and not necessarily better.

They also make the Griptillian 551-1 with G10 scales and some fancy steel blade for like $175.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 940, like others have said, is a lot of knife in a slim package and is my favorite BM. Of their autos, I like the 4300 CLA -- 3.4" blade, 3.47 oz, low ride clip. And it's just a few dollars more than the 940 (~$195 @ Cutlery Shoppe with free shipping).

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
If you are near the Benchmade facility, it might be worth a visit. The Spyderco factory store in Golden CO always had a good selection and great discounts. From the website, Benchmade does have a store also.

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Griptillian. I've had one for about 10 years. There's nothing fancy about it, but it's just a great all around knife.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great reply's I'm going to check all the recommended ones out.

Ray

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
The new benchmade Casbah auto is light and reasonably priced.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Hitchhiking on the recommendatins in this thread, I picked up a 710. Very nice! Thanks!

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post