SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Suggestions for Replacing a b*nchmade Auto for EDC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for Replacing a b*nchmade Auto for EDC Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted
Trying this again Wink

Have a mini reflex ii gotten before it was known that the company has their head up their ass.

It's a good little knife, although I will never buy anything from them ever again. It's very purpose-built.

Saw some Buck auto knives on KnifeCenter that looked interesting.

Would anyone have any other suggestions for a replacement, please?

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Personally, I wouldn’t let the company stop you from carrying it. I have a few benchmades that are all sound carry knives. I haven’t bought anything from them since “the incident”, but I can’t afford to throw away a perfectly viable tool that has served me well just because of the company’s actions.

That said, I am currently carrying a microtech auto, specifically a UTX-85. I have found that it is the perfect size for EDC chores and the one handed open/close has been very useful since I have a toddler all up in my business 24/7. For a more price sensitive solution you might want to look at an assisted opening knife like a kershaw leek or blur.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for your reply.

Thank you also for your comments about the Microtech.

With a bum right paw, an OTF has been of interest for some time.

You have a good point about the good knives, despite the bad actions of the company.

Shall consider both Smile

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends gave me a Benchmade Coalition for my birthday. You can bet your bottom dollar there was no way I was going to turn my nose up at it, nor not carry it.

Benchmade's transgression simply wasn't that severe, IMO. Would I buy another Benchmade? Hmmm... Probably not. But the Coalition, and the Mini-Grip I've owned for years, I'll continue to carry and use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you also for your comments about their knives.

Agreed, not going to throw them away.

Mebbe will start looking again for an OTF Wink

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I'm not tossing my Infidel (gift from my wife when we were dating), or the two others I have but at the same time, Kershaw makes some some pretty nice EDC knives. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir.

Have a Kershaw and a ZT. Between the two, was much more impressed by the latter...

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
For size reference:
UTX-85 with lionsteel roundhead

And UTX-85 with Mini-barrage and ultratech

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i have been happy with my kershaw launch. not quite the same quality steel as your benchmade, but very nice so far. easy to sharpen. i carry one everyday.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
For size reference:
UTX-85 with lionsteel roundhead

And UTX-85 with Mini-barrage and ultratech

Thank you very much for posting those photos and may I say,...

OUCH!

OUCH!

OUCH!

please, stop twisting my arm! Big Grin

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
i have been happy with my kershaw launch. not quite the same quality steel as your benchmade, but very nice so far. easy to sharpen. i carry one everyday.

dozer

Many thanks for your comments Smile

posted Hide Post
Emerson's are a well built knife.

Spyderco
SOG
Buck
ZT
Stryder
Cold Steel
Gerber
Boker
ProTech

Then there's the Microtech. That's a nice rabbit hole to jump into. They're great, fun little blades, but that habit WILL get expensive!

I get it... To hell with B€"@hmade.
And I'll never buy a new one. They get no more money from me.

HOWEVER- at the end of the day, it's still a well made knife. The company already made their money off it. No sense in tossing it out, that's like tossing a $100 bill out the window. Use and abuse it 'till it falls off the rails. Toss it in the tool box/glove compartment/junk drawer as a spare blade.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Use and abuse it 'till it falls off the rails. Toss it in the tool box/glove compartment/junk drawer as a spare blade.

Agreed, sir!

That's the plan.

Was wondering about an auto replacement for then...

posted Hide Post
I have to warn you about Microtech!

GREAT blades!
they get expensive, and addictive!!!

But sooo damn fun!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I was pretty much 100% benchmade until the gun cutting incident.
I have been very happy with a microtech UTX 85 and due to my left handed affliction, conventional autos from benchmade with side button opening are cumbersome to use. I found a protech side opener they make in a lefty version and it is great.
While on the political band wagon, I really liked Emerson knives. However they have always portrayed a “I am a badass, give me liberty or give me death!” Image, but folded like a cheap suit in regards to selling knives in my former New York State, even knives clearly legal and similar
To those sold by other manufacturers. I still resent that.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input.

Having a bum right paw, can well understand your feelings. Have learned to operate using my non-dominant hand.

Mebbe someday a UTX85 will be accessible Smile

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I want a UTX85 real bad. Make sure to check out Hogue knives, they have lots of nice ones. They produce an OTF for Boker that is reasonably priced.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you, will do so Smile

posted Hide Post
Kershaw Launch series if you want an affordable side folding auto.

Guardian tactical if you want an OTF the is cheaper and better than what you would get from benchmade or microtech.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post