SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Forged my 1st knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forged my 1st knife Login/Join 
posted
My wife bought me a knife forging course for Christmas at Wasatch Forge near Salt Lake City.
My busy schedule forced me to spread the 4 classes out over a few months but it was a blast and learned a lot. The blade is 5160. I've already forgotten what the scales were made of. Some exotic wood I hadn't heard of.
Really happy with how it turned out and surprised at how sharp it is and how well it holds an edge.
After a fair amount of use, it's starting to get a nice patina.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Impressive!

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I had intended for it to be about an inch bigger but had trouble getting the grind right. The instructor kept telling me "there are no mistakes, just smaller blades".

posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Impressive!

^^^^^^^^^^

That is very nice. As they say, "you done good" Smile

I really like the blade design. I am surprised there are not more knives made like that. Very versatile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep going! Make more forged knives!!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a few early attempts from guys wanting to get into knife making, usually plunge lines and handle seem to be the area in most need of improvement.

You nailed both of those, knife looks very nice for a first time piece.

Heck there are folks who are full time makers that don't seem to have such nice work as this one.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Looks much better than my first or even tenth attempt at the same turned out.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You should post that pix in the thread of Para's about carrying a fixed blade. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind feedback. I'll definitely keep making more as time permits.
Would like to make a slightly smaller edc blade.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I will say you “ got the Knack “. Well done! Strong side/ weak side replication is not an easy task. I like it, I can see a lot of use outta it!! You have been BIT Cool

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That looks very nice. Doesn't look like anyone's first knife. I like the grain on the handle.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19585 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Nice work on the ricasso!

May I ask how you did the grinding? New knifemakers have a horrible time making those primary bevels w/out a jig.

Lastly, but not to be critical - but wondering what’s going on with the tip? Is that just normal patina/oxidation, or is that actually in the alloy? What steel was used?

It sort of looks like a different crystal mixture i.e. perlite instead of Martensite. I do this on purpose in some blades w differential heat treat, so that’s why I ask.

Like others have said, that looks much nicer than anybody else’s first attempt!

Edit: saw 5160 as your steel. My bad for not reading thoroughly. That steel does oxidize despite the 1% chromium. So I’m assuming that’s patina.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Nice work on the ricasso!

May I ask how you did the grinding? New knifemakers have a horrible time making those primary bevels w/out a jig.

Lastly, but not to be critical - but wondering what’s going on with the tip? Is that just normal patina/oxidation, or is that actually in the alloy? What steel was used?

It sort of looks like a different crystal mixture i.e. perlite instead of Martensite. I do this on purpose in some blades w differential heat treat, so that’s why I ask.

Like others have said, that looks much nicer than anybody else’s first attempt!

Edit: saw 5160 as your steel. My bad for not reading thoroughly. That steel does oxidize despite the 1% chromium. So I’m assuming that’s patina.

The grinding was the most difficult part. No jig and I did have a hard time. I screwed up the bevel a couple times and ended up taking about an inch off the length and making the tip thinner than initially intended.
It's 5160 steel. I sanded and polished it to a mirror finish. Brought it home and decided to test it in the kitchen on a tomato and onion which ended up leaving a patina in the steel. I was surprised it stained so easily but I guess that's carbon steel for you. I intended it to be used so I kinda like the character of the patina.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
The first ones start out big and get smaller and smaller, lol. GREAT job!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I think you will find high carbon steel to be the best cutting edge you’ll ever meet. (I.e. 1084, 1095, W2) etc.

When you add in common alloying agents like nickel, chromium, vanadium, etc. the carbide formation creates larger grains which doesn’t make the edge quite as smooth IMO.

I work a lot with shallow-harding steels for hamon creation. They will all patina, especially cutting acidic food.

If you ever get red rust formation (the wrong kind of iron oxide that pits, versus the other iron oxide you want which is gray like vintage tools), just boil the blade in hot water for 10 mins or so. Not the handle!

Traditional care it’s just to wash it with hot water and put it away dry and warm.

No question that at first, your knives get shorter than you expect. Lol

Well done!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
Kudos to you. That is a very cool looking knife.
I watch Forged In Fire reruns over and over , and I am impressed by the craft.
Continue in your craft.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks amazing. Great job.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post