SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Cut myself with Kershaw Epistle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cut myself with Kershaw Epistle Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I got an email from Kershawguy with nice prices on some knives. So I picked up some for work. I ordered a couple Epistle 2131 Manual Openers and was pleased with them for cutting open bags so I started carrying one of them.

My right hand started stinging and I just chalked it up to going back to work. I get injuries all the time. Then yesterday my thumb was bloody so I cleaned it up and went back to work. Then the web between my thumb and index finger was bleeding. I cleaned and super glued everything together and continued for the day.

Turns out the Epistle’s blade points upward in your pocket the way it clips and I was getting tiny cuts in my hand reaching for my keys. I count 7 tiny cuts that didn’t bleed but sting and two cuts that did bleed. I’ve carried knives for years and never cut myself before. Maybe i need something sheathed instead of a folder. What do you guys use for everyday use at work?

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, however it is, that tip needs to be shielded while carried.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My work knife is a Kershaw link. It is tip up carry only but the clip can be mounted on either the right or left side. The tip is shielded so I don't think you could cut yourself with it when it is closed. I have been using it for 4 or 5 years without any issues. Kershaw Guy has some base model factory seconds for $40 link

It is a solid knife at a price that won't break the bank if you lose it. You can attach a lanyard to it if is prone to slipping out of your pocket. It is also made in the USA vs China if that is important to you (it is to me).

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What is causing the blade to be exposed while in your pocket?

The other thing is to clip it in your pocket with the blade against the edge of the pocket. Looking at your knife, that would mean clip it all the way to the right of your right pocket or all the way to the left of your left pocket.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Something is wrong if you're getting cuts with the blade closed. I'd look closely at the other one(s) you got and try a different one.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Something is wrong if you're getting cuts with the blade closed.

Yep.

Is it that the blade or body is misaligned and therefore the tip isn't shielded when it's closed? Or is the blade not held firmly closed and it's partially opening in your pocket?

If the latter and you can't tighten the mechanism to hold it closed more firmly, can you swap the pocket clip to the other side, so that the top of the closed blade rides up against the side of your pocket rather than out in the open area of the pocket? This could keep the blade from coming partial open while you're moving around.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What is causing the blade to be exposed while in your pocket?

The other thing is to clip it in your pocket with the blade against the edge of the pocket. Looking at your knife, that would mean clip it all the way to the right of your right pocket or all the way to the left of your left pocket.

The tip is just barely inside the handle and if i run my finger over it i can feel the sharp tip when it’s closed. Perhaps it’s just a bad design. I’ll get a picture.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Wait! I have another Epistle that I didn't open yet and it does not have the same issue.

The first one is faulty.

posted Hide Post
Yep, that appears to be your answer.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Wow! Now I'd be looking to see why to one blade is sticking out so much when closed. Is there something jammed in the liner or between the blade and the liner? Or is it just plain defective?

I had a dime get jammed in one of my folders once.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Wow! Now I'd be looking to see why to one blade is sticking out so much when closed. Is there something jammed in the liner or between the blade and the liner? Or is it just plain defective?

I had a dime get jammed in one of my folders once.
i took it apart (mostly) and didn’t see anything. I think i have to heat the big bolt because it’s thread locked.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Kershawguy said either kershaw would replace it or he would.

posted Hide Post
Yep send it back, something is not right with that tip sticking up like that! Kershawguy is a stand up guy!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post