SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco Native ruined by gun show sharpener and my ignorance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco Native ruined by gun show sharpener and my ignorance Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
After multiple gun show guy sharpenings on my Spyderco. (Golden Colo. 440A), the point became proud of the scales when closed. Gun show guy used a huge sanding band.
The knife being one of my favorites became a problem for a pocket knife.
I took a file to the blade back and lowered the point to below the scales. With the file I straightened the cutting edge and reshaped the blade back as best I could.

So how did I do?

I have not put the blade edge back on a stone. I wonder if I affected the blade hardness.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Not bad, but you lost a lot of blade.

You know it now, but that guy was a hack.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
So many “professional” sharpeners out there these days. Roll Eyes
It takes a lot more than buying some equipment & hanging out the digital shingle to get it right.
I’m on a number of groups for standard & “guided sharpening” and you hear that a lot.
“Hey I just got my (whatever system) today & want to know how I go about starting up my own sharpening business?”

Sorry to hear about your knife, it’s always sad when a favorite gets ruined.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Late last night I put an edge on it with my wet stone and steel. Turned out pretty good. We will see how it lasts.

The stone was my Grandpa's. Well worn swaybacked shape.

SIGnature

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My favorite Spyderco. Get a new one, they're reasonable, and accept a lesson learned.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I used to buy Spyderco Natives in Walmart and they were less than $50. I thought they were a real bargain and wish I knew they were going to increase in price so quickly and discontinue being offered at Walmart altogether. Great knife!

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My reshaped blade has turned out to be an excellent knife.

SIGnature

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Glad that the lemon got turned into a lemon drop. I actually like the look of the "new" blade.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post