SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    A new Shun utility knife - wife loves it!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new Shun utility knife - wife loves it! Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I ordered a Shun Sora Ultimate Utility knife with serrated 6 inch blade. Got it out last night and my wife used it this morning.

Here's the link to the Amazon page, where one can buy it for $65, half the price on the Shun website.

Amazon link

From the Shun website, the description of the knife:

quote:
About

It doesn't look traditional, but the Shun Sora Ultimate Utility Knife is amazingly versatile. The cutting edge offers a low-frequency serration that makes it perfect for slicing delicate thin-skinned fruits and vegetables. The wide blade with its rounded tip also makes it a great knife for spreading mayo on a sandwich, then the serrations work like a bread knife to cut the sandwich in half without tearing. Try it and you will be surprised at how often you find yourself reaching for this multi-function knife.

Unusual looking, amazingly versatile
Proprietary Composite Blade Technology puts high-performance VG10 steel on the cutting edge and highly corrosion-resistant Japanese 420J stainless steel on the blade upper
San mai edge construction protects and supports the VG10 cutting core; razor-sharp, single-bevel 16° edge for quick, easy cutting
Traditional handle design in textured PP/TPE polymer blend provides a contemporary look, secure grip and balance, and is easy to maintain
Blade tang extends all the way to the embossed handle medallion for strength and balance
Handcrafted in Japan

The blade slices through my whole-wheat bread with no effort, no sawing needed; fantastic for thin slices of tomatoes.

We just bought two more from the Amazon dealer for family.

Of course if you want the Premier version, it will cost $213 on the Shun website....

Posts: 18231 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The only issue I'd have with it is the serrations. Shun will not resharpen serrated blades, so you are forced to try it yourself when the need arises. I have their bread knife with similar serrations, and while it works great, it did need resharpening after a few crusty loaves rolled the edge.

I ended up finding a dowel with a similar diameter and gluing some fine grit sandpaper to it. While it was a pain in the keester, it did work fairly well. It's not factory sharp, but it's good enough. Now I only use it for soft loaves and have a cheapo $10 one for the crusty stuff. That way I can just toss it when it goes dull and not feel bad about it.

Posts: 20349 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Amazon link comes up at $89.95 for me just now. Confused

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Amazon link comes up at $89.95 for me just now. Confused

That's the 8" chief's knife in the Sora line...maybe your mouse slipped, it's still $64.95 when I just clicked on the link.

I might have found the issue. If you go to other sellers, there are several who are selling the same knife for $89.95

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14235 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No, it happens when I click on the link. Here’s a screenshot.

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post