SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    I Have Fallen To The Dark Side - New Microtech Sith Lord and My Journey to Find an OTF
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Have Fallen To The Dark Side - New Microtech Sith Lord and My Journey to Find an OTF Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I just finished up with Microtech. They told me they wouldn't switch out the button because there's nothing wrong with it, but I could send it in and lighten up the action. I declined because it's not the action that's the problem. Their ticket system is very cool. After the ticket is created and you get an email from someone at Microtech, it logs all comments in like a blog post, even if your only contact is email.

I am going to send back the Heretic. If the recurve blade had partial serrations, I'd keep it. There are some times that I need serrations to cut through something. BladeHQ has an OD Green Hera marked down on their sight for $345 that I'd purchase if there were some serrations, but I don't think the titanium pocket clip is worth $100 more. The Dirac is in the running as it's just as wide as the Hera and almost as wide as the Guardian Tactical Recon-035.

Speaking of Guardian Tactical, they're releasing a new model called the Scout that seems right up my alley. It's been "Coming Soon" at BladeHQ for about a month now. They did a video on it as a new release, and there's a special edition hand ground version by Reese Weiland that's $500 that I'll never buy, but at $409 it looks pretty good.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--...Scout-SE-OTF--185967

Posts: 4372 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I just finished up with Microtech. They told me they wouldn't switch out the button because there's nothing wrong with it, but I could send it in and lighten up the action. I declined because it's not the action that's the problem.

Well that's a bummer. I'd hope that they'd want to help the customer be happy with their purchase instead of rigid "nah, it's within tolerance, there's nothing wrong with this knife." That mindset is telling.

quote:
I am going to send back the Heretic. If the recurve blade had partial serrations, I'd keep it. There are some times that I need serrations to cut through something. BladeHQ has an OD Green Hera marked down on their sight for $345 that I'd purchase if there were some serrations, but I don't think the titanium pocket clip is worth $100 more. The Dirac is in the running as it's just as wide as the Hera and almost as wide as the Guardian Tactical Recon-035.

Hey! I ran across this one last night. Might this guy fit the bill? That's a pretty good price for a Manticore. I know you said the X was bigger than what you were looking for, but hey, for $250?

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1075317/

As it happens, I just bought a Manticore X from VANQUISH in the classifieds. I posted a WTB last summer and he responded with that knife, but noooooooo, I had to get a Combat Troodon instead. Roll Eyes

Your thread, and looking at Manticores again, and seeing that thread pop up... Sigforum strikes again. Big Grin

Posts: 17455 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well that's a bummer. I'd hope that they'd want to help the customer be happy with their purchase instead of rigid "nah, it's within tolerance, there's nothing wrong with this knife." That mindset is telling.

I don't blame them. I also never thought of asking if they would replace it at my cost, but if a titanium pocket clip costs almost $100, I'd probably pay that in parts and labor to put that in.

I did discover one trick that helps out greatly and that is to avoid the X at the top of the switch at all costs. I've been rolling my thumb up and down the switch when firing and retracting. If I stop my thumb before I hit the polished X, the knife deploys much easier and I avoid the sharp bits.

It probably sounds stupid and I feel equal parts eureka moment and shame. Kinda of like the punching bag Lou Duva had to make with boxing shorts on the bottom to teach Andrew Golota not to punch Riddick Bowe in the balls.

quote:
Hey! I ran across this one last night. Might this guy fit the bill? That's a pretty good price for a Manticore. I know you said the X was bigger than what you were looking for, but hey, for $250?

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1075317/

As it happens, I just bought a Manticore X from VANQUISH in the classifieds. I posted a WTB last summer and he responded with that knife, but noooooooo, I had to get a Combat Troodon instead. Roll Eyes

Both of those are tempting, but right now I have to wait for about $800 in knife returns to process.

I've also realized that I've been a little unfair to the knives I bought. I've been comparing them to my Ultratech without taking into account that without a chip in the cerakote, my knife would be almost $100 more than the Hogue, Guardian, or Heretic and even at this price point $100 still gets you a big leap in quality.

Although one minor problem I had with the Heretic that I didn't with any of the Microtechs is the blade barely retracts all the way into the knife. You can see a small sliver of the tip just underneath the outer edge of the front opening. If you press your thumb down on the opening it will brush over the tip of the blade but not cut you. In fact, the polished X on my Ultratech is far more uncomfortable than this.

Since the Heretic is all black, I could keep the Manticore at add some Talon grips to the side and eventually snazz it up with an upgraded pocket clip. That would solve 90% of my first world problems with it and leave me enough to "supplement" with a Dirac or UTX-85 serrated dagger and be around $500ish all in.

I also asked Heretic if they would sell those Fat Carbon scales they use on their higher end knives separately and got told no. That would certainly spiff up the plain jane Manticore E.

quote:
Your thread, and looking at Manticores again, and seeing that thread pop up... Sigforum strikes again. Big Grin

You're telling me! All I was looking for was a cheaper replacement for a Benchmade Auto Triage I lost and now I'm drowning in a rabbit hole of my own making. Razz

Posts: 4372 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did discover one trick that helps out greatly and that is to avoid the X at the top of the switch at all costs. I've been rolling my thumb up and down the switch when firing and retracting. If I stop my thumb before I hit the polished X, the knife deploys much easier and I avoid the sharp bits.

Yeah, that's the way I open mine, and I don't even have a really sharp button. That X pattern is just... it's too much for everyday use. I get why they make it that way, I just think Hogue's simple execution of it is better.

quote:
Although one minor problem I had with the Heretic that I didn't with any of the Microtechs is the blade barely retracts all the way into the knife. You can see a small sliver of the tip just underneath the outer edge of the front opening. If you press your thumb down on the opening it will brush over the tip of the blade but not cut you. In fact, the polished X on my Ultratech is far more uncomfortable than this.

My Combat Troodon is that way. If the tip were actually sharp, I'd have cut myself discovering that. I think it wouldn't if it were a tanto instead of a DE, based on the handle contours.

quote:
Since the Heretic is all black, I could keep the Manticore at add some Talon grips to the side and eventually snazz it up with an upgraded pocket clip. That would solve 90% of my first world problems with it and leave me enough to "supplement" with a Dirac or UTX-85 serrated dagger and be around $500ish all in.

Let me know what you find for clips. The videos I was watching on them featured the type with the ball bearing, and the one I'm buying doesn't seem to have that. I wouldn't mind upgrading it to the ball bearing type. $100 for a pocket clip seems a bit steep for my tastes, though. Eek

quote:
You're telling me! All I was looking for was a cheaper replacement for a Benchmade Auto Triage I lost and now I'm drowning in a rabbit hole of my own making. Razz

Lol! Big Grin

Posts: 17455 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Let me know what you find for clips. The videos I was watching on them featured the type with the ball bearing, and the one I'm buying doesn't seem to have that. I wouldn't mind upgrading it to the ball bearing type. $100 for a pocket clip seems a bit steep for my tastes, though. Eek

This was the link I was sent:

https://altamontoutdoors.com/c...all-manticore-series

I also saw they had a purple and a gray Manticore E Tanto blade in stock with the newer Magnacut blades.

Edit: I think I found what I'm looking for. They just restocked and since it's my first order it's 10% off. I can live without serrations or just buy a another knife later.

https://www.smkw.com/heretic-m...-e-nightcrawler-smkw

A knife that costs between $500-$650 depending on options for that price helps a lot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanH,

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I believe I found the knife I'll be happy with until I get more money.

I got the last one from Smoky Mountain Knife Works on sale for $380 with another 10% off for signing up to their newsletter. Similar knives from Heretic that are spec'd like this are generally over $500. It's the right size, the carbon fiber scale provides a better grip than the standard aluminum scales, and the glassbreaker is designed better for carry while still being usable. The only downside for me is that it's not a partial serrated model, but I'm fine with it especially with the Magnacut blade.

Thankfully, my journey is over for now.