SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Recommend a daily carry knife that fits in jean watch pocket** Kershaw Scallion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a daily carry knife that fits in jean watch pocket** Kershaw Scallion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion so far. This is harder than I thought. I’m now second guessing the watch pocket carry. Not all watch pockets will be the same size so I can see some carry conflicts occurring. Maybe I need to do a standard pocket carry and get a slightly bigger blade.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I've carried some variant of the CRKT M16 knife every day for the past 20 years. Most of that time has been the CRKT M16-01Z, but with your preferences in mind, it looks like you'd prefer the 13z or 10Z:

https://smile.amazon.com/CRKT-...z%2Caps%2C363&sr=8-2

https://smile.amazon.com/CRKT-...ps%2C727&sr=8-3&th=1

40 bucks and Made in the USA, fits in the watch pocket

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Go slightly bigger. Something like a Delica will give you plenty of usable blade while not getting in the way and being fairly non threatening. Honestly, people around here are so used to seeing knives clipped in front pockets they don't even notice them. I REALLY like the original Spyderco Native in that "small knife" size, but it's significantly above your budget these days.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If going a little bigger I suggest staying at or slightly under 3 inch as it’s an eminently useful size/sweet spot, isn’t likely the scare the bejezzus out of the folks in the break room when you open your Lean Cuisine and is generally legal in “most” jurisdictions.

I have a few CRKT M16s as well that I have had for a LONG time. They are thin and work pretty well.

Like I said I LOVE the Spyderco Delica. It’s thin, easy opening, solid lock up, decent steel etc etc. that said I think it’s about 10 bucks more then your budget and made in Japan.

Kershaw and CRKT would be where I would look to try and meet all your wants.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
https://smile.amazon.com/CRKT-...z%2Caps%2C363&sr=8-2

https://smile.amazon.com/CRKT-...ps%2C727&sr=8-3&th=1

40 bucks and Made in the USA, fits in the watch pocket

Those knives are made in China. Any knife that uses 8Cr13Mov blade steel is made in China. I'm not knocking them, b/c I have many Chinese-made pocket knives that I like for their price points.

Last time I shopped for a Delica 4, it was in the $75 price range. They've gone up a lot!

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Most any knife will fit in the watch pocket if you're not hung up about having to close the blade first.

On a more serious note, the CRKT Burnley Squid fits nicely, and was well under the OP's budget last I looked.

Posts: 6473 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered a Kershaw Scallion serrated. It checked a lot of boxes. USA made, reasonably priced, medium sized.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think you made a wise choice and I think you will enjoy it very much.

If you are not used to assisted opening play with it a bit to get a feel for it. Hold the knife tightly on opening. (It’s not any massive amount of force but if not used to it can be a surprise).

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The scallion arrived today. It’s a solid little knife. I really would not want a knife any smaller.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
The scallion arrived today. It’s a solid little knife. I really would not want a knife any smaller.

The Chive is a handy micro knife, but less so for EDC, for me.
The Scallion is perfect size.

My coworker has the next size up (Leek?) and it's just a bit too big & the assisted opener seems slower than my Chive & Scallion.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Keep us posted on how you like it! This has been a helpful thread on gear selection.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I walk into this thread suggesting the Dragonfly which I own and walk out ordering a Scallion which arrived yesterday.

Thanks for nothing!

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Woot has Kershaws on sale today

Link

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post