SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Getting Scuba Certified - any recommendations on a Knife?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Scuba Certified - any recommendations on a Knife? Login/Join 
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted
I am currently in my certification classes. I have a bunch of equipment to buy, but I am most excited about a new knife... Smile

I will do my certification dives the weekend of Aug 11-13.

Any Scuba divers out there have an opinion on the "best" knife. Or at least the one that you have experience with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: armedprof,

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
This was the recommended choice when I certified way back in 1983.

Posts: 3804 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of fancy options out there, but I like my ScubaPro Mako. They make it in SS and Ti, I think. Mine is the Ti model.

Has a tanto blade profile, which is a nice compromise between chisel and full point. (So I can still stab a shark, but also pry loose the doubloons I find.)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16306 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
First, CONGRATS!!! You are on a journey that will cost you thousands of dollars IMO one of the best ways possible.

So here's my $.02 based on my experience as a diver primarily in the Pacific Northwest (over 500 dives) but also in Cozumel, Roatan, USVI, PR, Palau, and Indonesia both recreationally and as a PADI certified Master Scuba Diver Trainer (Instructor) with over 100 certified divers. I have spent hundreds of dollars on dive knives because they are super cool. Now to be the downer:

Get resuce shears and place on your BCD in a way that's easily accessible ambidexterously. There are a lot of ways to do that. It is way more likely to be actually used and won't hurt you or your buddy if used underwater, but FAR FAR more likely to be used on the surface. And if they rust out (or lost), toss and get a new pair without crying.

Get a Spyderco folding Salt in a blade configuration that makes you happy (I use a version that is similar to the 'Delica' standard blade that's 3" long). You can use it internationally and in tons of carry configurations (on bcd, waist, leg, arm, neck).

But no matter what, get a titanium blade or something along the line of the H2 steel or the H20 steel that is corrosion resistant.

Lastly, strongly consider the "pry" function and not the "stab" funtion because I have seen that, unless you are spearfishing, 100% of the time the "stabee" is you, your gear, or both in my experience.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2055 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a PADI Divemaster. I’d recommend exactly what Loswsmith said. No need for anything with a point. Shears are a great idea. If you insist on a knife, a chisel end dulled is all you’ll ever need.

Posts: 1143 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations it's an amazing hobby.

I think there's prehistoric sharks teeth in your area?

Get something nice so when we search the training sites we can find a keeper.

Consider the carry options carefully. What looks good on paper doesn't always translate well in actual use.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13473 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Caribbean, Salt or salt 2 folder in LC200 it is the upgrade from H-2 and a nearly corrosion free blade metal. they have left them exposed in saltwater for weeks and they are clean as a whistle. They make a now discontinued lc200 fixed blade 4.5 inch, the “waterway” I feel lucky to have mine but they are available if you hunt around. My saltwater fishing knives. I don’t dive.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I’m a PADI Divemaster. I’d recommend exactly what Loswsmith said. No need for anything with a point. Shears are a great idea. If you insist on a knife, a chisel end dulled is all you’ll ever need.

I'll third this statement.
I do a little salvage diving for a side job.

Spiderco SALT is a great line of knives if you want something sharp. Great to toss in a gear bag.

Personally, my gear set up is from County Comm . com

https://countycomm.com/collect...um-emt-combat-shears

I really like the glow-in-the-dark ones.
At $10, I have probably 5 laying around in my gear, gear bag, boat.

https://countycomm.com/collect...obotics-breacher-bar

If you want one that can be sharpened-

Sheath-

Haven't used one, but looks interesting-

https://countycomm.com/collect...r-large-breacher-bar

It's a holdover from years ago diving in the Military, but I like having 2 glow sticks somewhere in my gear too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8493 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

OOOOHHHHH Glow in the dark!! I love this. Get these. They will be super helpful for everything and will be easier to find if you lose them.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2055 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Leisure Pro merged with Scuba.com. Huge inventory. Leisure Pro was based out of NYC- fast shipping.
Knife is a tool- blunt tip. Expensive sport- enjoy.

Posts: 2360 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old (70's) AMF Swim master. Made in the USA, 7 1/2" serrated blade with finger grooved handle. Thing is a beast, I even used it as a field knife in the service until I obtained a proper knife for that.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'd probably go with something a little smaller now. But it did feel good carrying that big thing while diving in shark infested waters in Panama!

Tony

Posts: 356 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 247 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally forgot about this one-
My partner dove yesterday to free up a dock line that got wrapped around a Prop blade. Worked perfectly! That being said- I don’t know how they hold up in salt water, and we clean our gear pretty quickly.

Get one with the saw blade Wink

https://eu.glock.com/en/products/glock-field-knives

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8493 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:

OOOOHHHHH Glow in the dark!! I love this. Get these. They will be super helpful for everything and will be easier to find if you lose them.

You’ll spend a lot of money on that website!

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have the Atlantic Salt that is my knife for vacation in Hawaii and snorkeling. I make sure not to cut anything with it so it’s sharp. A fixed blade may be a better option depending on your needs.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/salt-series

Shears are a great idea, as is a small pry bar. Titanium is light and won’t take up much space, space and save the knife for cutting.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8359 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A moving video of using a dive knife to free a whale shark.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13473 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
A moving video of using a dive knife to free a whale shark.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SGmtjeuEtow?si=O4u9KGWlSkPgHLlM" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That was pretty incredibly awsome. A friend for life.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8889 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post