SIGforum
I sharpen with this....

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/3710083684

October 31, 2021, 08:15 PM
Hamden106
I sharpen with this....
....what do you use?

The stone was my Grandpas. I use it wet. The steel was my Dad's when he was DVM USDA APHIS MPIP

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
November 01, 2021, 10:40 PM
Gallo Pazzesco
So that's a very decent butcher's kit but I wouldn't make it my regular choice for honing my Busse or Swamp Rat Battle Rat or any of my finer hunting knives or any of my finer automatics.

.... and you're missing some good crock sticks with that kit to really touch-up your kitchen knives in a hurry. Don't get me wrong, I use steel and stones and crock sticks in the kitchen every day practically .... but my choppers and EDC knives get better care.

Just mho

ETA: FWIW I have a leather bag full of old stones passed-down to me from my Grandfathers and Uncles and Dad .... there is definitely some sentimental value to them and some of them are so well used, like yours, that I am prone to using them just to reconnect with some of them that are now gone. But still, I'm more anal about my knife sharpening than probably any of them were with the exception of my maternal grandfather whom was always sharpening one of his knives. I do the same thing.

November 24, 2021, 10:25 AM
I confess to being bad at sharpening with anything other than a Spyderco sharpmaker. Could never find the knack for it. The Spyderco does the job quickly and gives me a good edge. The only thing is if the blade was sharpened at a much different angle than 40deg you might have to re angle the edge which takes a little time. After that it’s gtg.
November 24, 2021, 02:28 PM
papaac
quote:
Originally posted by 126911:
I confess to being bad at sharpening with anything other than a Spyderco sharpmaker. Could never find the knack for it. The Spyderco does the job quickly and gives me a good edge. The only thing is if the blade was sharpened at a much different angle than 40deg you might have to re angle the edge which takes a little time. After that it’s gtg.

Another kindred spirit! I could do okay with the old crock stick, but oil stones were hit and miss. the Spyderco has made a big difference for me.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke
December 22, 2021, 08:59 PM
Rey HRH
Nowadays, sharpeners will critique your stone as not being flat.

On the other hand, I've seen pictures of japanese sword makers sharpening their swords on stones with a very concave profile.

If you can make use it to sharpen your knife, more power to you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
December 29, 2021, 03:33 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Nowadays, sharpeners will critique your stone as not being flat.

On the other hand, I've seen pictures of japanese sword makers sharpening their swords on stones with a very concave profile.

If you can make use it to sharpen your knife, more power to you.

A flat stone makes it easier to hold a consistent angle. Much easier.

But if you can freehand a consistent angle on a dished out stone, go for it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
December 29, 2021, 07:02 PM
rburg
So I'm going to surmise that anyone who sharpens constantly will have a very worn edge, if you can call it that. I'd like to see a few photos from those who do so.

Unhappy ammo seeker
January 14, 2022, 09:17 PM
Ed Fowler
Your grandfather used his had sharpened knife every day and had just the right tools. He tested his razor every time he sharpened it!!!