SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Buck 110 auto elite carry options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buck 110 auto elite carry options? Login/Join 
posted
I've been lusting over this knife for quite awhile and my wife surprised me with it for Christmas.
I love it but struggling with how to carry it. Just about every knife I've carried has had a pocket clip so that's what I'm most comfortable with. I made a pocket clip holster with leather and a ulti clip and while is works well, it makes an already thick knife much thicker and the ulti clip has some unforgiving sharp edges. It's cut me a few time already and gouged a few pieces of furniture that dared get too close to me.

It came with a leather belt pouch but aside from a gun I don't like things on my belt, it seems bulky and I feel like batman.

Anyone carry a buck 110/112 auto? How do you carry it?

Here's the current set up...
https://i.postimg.cc/hGLT3RPy/20240218-103815.avif
https://i.postimg.cc/jdYWmkmB/1708278595627.jpg

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any good idea, but allow me to sympathize with you.

Many years ago, starting in the late 60s, I was young policeman and needed-often-a pocket knife of some type. Buck's 110s seemed to be the go-to brand and model and I loved mine.

Had the same problem you've found-hard to carry conveniently without a pocket clip. I've often thought I'd likely give up all my other knives for a 110 with a clip and I'd certainly do it for a 110 with a clip and flipper blade.

I simply don't have any idea why Buck doesn't do one or the other or both, but ...?

As police officer, I carried a relatively large wallet in my right rear pocket and found the 110 would slide down on the right side of the wallet and, most of the time, would ride there till needed.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm I crazy for thinking about putting a pocket clip on this knife?

posted Hide Post
Even on clip equipped knives I simply drop them in the pocket
Don’t need to advertise to people I have a knife, and don’t like risking the clip snagging on something and pulling the knife out of my pocket and losing it. Generally not a fan of chips. Just toss in pocket

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Buck 110 Slim Select or 110 Slim Pro. Both are lightweight versions of the 110 fitted with a pocket clip. Thumb stud opening, not auto or flipper.

The $29 Buck 251 Langford is a similar size flipper with a clip, it has good reviews, but unfortunately it’s made in China.

Posts: 26914 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.Idecided not to put a clip on it, just doesn't feel right and don't want to risk ruining a fairly expensive knife.
Straitshooter, your suggestion to keep it in the back pocket next to my wallet seems to be working well. The spine of the blade rests in the fold of the wallet and keeps it from shifting around. I was concerned about keeping an auto opener in a pocket but the button is recessed enough that I don't think there's much chance of depressing it.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Even on clip equipped knives I simply drop them in the pocket
Don’t need to advertise to people I have a knife, and don’t like risking the clip snagging on something and pulling the knife out of my pocket and losing it. Generally not a fan of chips. Just toss in pocket

I’ve had enough clips snag that I no longer use them. I keep mine in the front of my right hand front pocket, alongside my phone.

Posts: 9969 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not had any problems with the pocket clips, but I always (1) keep them in my right front pocket, (2) place them at the rear of that front pocket, so the knife is pressed back against the rear pocket seam and (3) usually place a short lanyard on them to make it easy to grab it (I seem to fumble more as I get older).

I got a very nice Buck as a gift from someone when I bought an item on another forum. Nice, but not expensive (like $30), and made in that country we try never to buy from.

It was the Decatur model with fancy wooden slabs and a flipper. It was the fastest, easiest to open flipper I have ever owned and I've owned a LOT of flippers in my search for the perfect pocket-carried knife. And unlike my experience with the 110s, this Buck was a joy to sharpen. A few strokes on my Sharpmaker and it was truly razor sharp. I thought this free knife might be the EDC I'd been searching for, and, despite the potential shaming for where it was made if I showed it off, I started to carry it.

One day I dropped it in my left front pocket. Why, well, prolly 'cause sometimes I do idiotic things and this was a day I was doing another. Did I use the pocket clip-oh, no, 'cause it was set up for right hand carry, so I just, literally, dropped it in. I surmise, but don't actually recall why, other than I must have had a firearm in my right front pocket for some reason. And Mr. Wrangler gave us two front pockets on his jeans, so....

I was at home, in the kitchen, and for some reason, reached into my left front pocket and...OUCH! My Buck had opened in my pocket and I'd just cut the heck out of my left Mr. Tall Man.

My wife, a Nurse Practitioner, was home and rescued me, got the bleeding slowed. Bandaged the finger and patiently listened to all the reasons I would not go to the VA Emergency room and get some stitches. I recovered fairly quickly, but the Buck now lives in the safe.

So, I learned my lesson (until the next idiotic thing) and I only carry knives in my pocket if they are equipped with a pocket clip and actually fastened to my jeans pocket.

I think it would be about impossible for a 110 or a similar knife to open in one's pocket, but if it could, it would-in mine.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post