SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Etiquette of gifting a knife?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Etiquette of gifting a knife? Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
Based on what I have learned here, I understand the tradition/lore/myth of giving a coin when gifting a knife. For those wondering what I am talking about, more details are discussed here.

I like the idea of carying on traditions, but also realize this might not be a well known one. So, my question is, when one gifts a knife and includes a coin, is the recipient supposed to know what to do with the coin? Is it gauche to explain it, or would it simply be better to see if they ask about it?

Guys, again, I understand the myth part, but want to carry on the tradition. Too many things are lost over time through the generations. In the end, I figured I would toss it to the forum to get the see what others thought and perhaps even show someone something new.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone gave me a knife and a coin they'd have to explain why.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Give the coin so they buy the knife. You wouldn't want to risk a gift knife cutting the friendship. If they don't know, they'll ask.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I always give the coin separate from the knife. When they know they usually pocket the coin and give me one of their own.

When they don't know they ask, if they don't ask I explain to them what the intent of the coin is and they are usually happy to learn the tradition.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Wrapped the knife and put the coin in the card. He opened the knife and loved it (thanks Dozer) thenn came back later after he opened the card and asked what the coin was for. I explained the tradition and he thought it was cool.

Success. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm Curious as to what this tradition is? I've gifted several dozens of knives and honestly have no clue whatsoever about the coin. What's the deal??

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Superstition suggests that it is bad luck or will sever a friendship if a knife is given as a gift. A cheat to get around this is to "sell" the knife to the recipient. Providing the coin guarantees payment is available.

Again, simply a fun tradition and an attempt to hold onto simpler times. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Superstition suggests that it is bad luck or will sever a friendship if a knife is given as a gift. A cheat to get around this is to "sell" the knife to the recipient. Providing the coin guarantees payment is available.

Again, simply a fun tradition and an attempt to hold onto simpler times. Smile

Thanks! I like that. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
First time I heard of this was with my FIL, I gave him a spyderco police and he handed me a ruble coin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't give them the coin. If I do, that's not payment when they give it back, at least not as far as I'm concerned. They have to pony up a coin. Any denomination will do, but it has to come from them, not from me.

Posts: 107506 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you don't give it, do you tell them about the tradition?