SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Fiieldcraft / Bushcraft knives
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiieldcraft / Bushcraft knives Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Fallkniven F1 or S1 usually come with me on jaunts around the family property or deeper/longer hikes. I wouldn't call myself a bushcrafter or the like, but have a few skills that either knife would be useful for in a bad situation. Occasionally also put an Esse Izula in the pack for smaller chores.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11034 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I have an F1 that I keep in my get home bag. Certainly a good and capable knife for "bushcrafting" if need be.

My preferred woods carry though is a Bark River Featherweight Fox River. Very well made knife that'll do everything you need it to do in the out of doors from cutting up an elk, to shaving wood to start a fire, to splitting kindling. Yep, it's a little guy, but it just works.

Bark River has other quality options to choose from should you want something bigger (the Bravo series is beefier and a little bigger than the Fox River), but I'm not sure why you'd need/want to. One doesn't need a Rambo knife. Function over form is what's important IMO.

Price-wise, they're a little higher than you want to go (~$200 as I recall), but worth every penny.

That's a beautiful little knife. I have several Bark River's myself, but none with a stag handle.

Posts: 2472 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Top to bottom: Scrapyard - Regulator, Swamp Rat - RatManDu, Fallkniven - S1, EnTrek - Backup Utility. All were under $150. The bottom two are currently in production, but the S1 is around $165 now.

Of my four knives, I’m of the opinion that a hatchet and a folding pocket knife would be better.

I, too, have the top three of your selection. I like them a lot, but I agree one might be better off with a hatchet (or other small-ish axe) and a small knife. I would want mine to be a small fixed-blade, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
ESEE 4, but many people find the handle a little short. You're not going to break it, though, and it comes with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

The Mora Companion HD is a super value less than 25 bucks.

The LT Wright GNS Scandi (150.00) or the LT Wright Gary Wines Buschcrafter, but that's out of you budget, with prices starting at 200.

Isn't the ESEE 4 available with a longer handle now? I seem to remember being tempted a while ago to add one; I find the standard 4's handle a bit too short, but still agree it is a really good tool to have in your stash.

As is the Mora. Or any Mora. I think they are among the best values on the planet.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
ESEE 4, but many people find the handle a little short. You're not going to break it, though, and it comes with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

The Mora Companion HD is a super value less than 25 bucks.

The LT Wright GNS Scandi (150.00) or the LT Wright Gary Wines Buschcrafter, but that's out of you budget, with prices starting at 200.

Isn't the ESEE 4 available with a longer handle now? I seem to remember being tempted a while ago to add one; I find the standard 4's handle a bit too short, but still agree it is a really good tool to have in your stash.

As is the Mora. Or any Mora. I think they are among the best values on the planet.

The Knife Connection makes handles that are longer so they cover the metal area, about 1/2" longer. The knife itself is the same.

Posts: 7332 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I installed The Knife Connection handles on my ESEE 4 and now it's perfect. I use the knife all the time outdoors. I highly recommend them as an upgrade.

Posts: 2301 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post