SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Which would you choose?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which would you choose? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I did some computer work for a friend of a friend this past week, and he insisted on paying me. I told him no, but he won't let it go. Long story short, he knew I was looking for a backpacking/camping knife and offered me a choice between one of the following two knives he has in his gun safe right now. Both are brand new in box. They're both very similar in size, weight, and make up.

Buck Selkirk

Cold Steel - Master Hunter

So if you had a choice between these two knives, which one would you choose?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Buck, but then I am a life long fan of Buck knives. I also like the shape and appearance of the Buck better.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
No experience with the Selkirk or Master Hunter.
I did own a Buck 110 folder and it was very difficult to sharpen.
My Cold Steel SRK remains sharper longer.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I would go for the Cold Steel.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I prefer the look of the buck. If one is USA made I would go that route.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the Cold Steel with VG-1 San Mai III is a better steel than the Buck 420HC blade.

If you could handle both- Ergonomics and Sheath would be the deciding factors for me.

Watch the video- "Sometimes when you're hunting you want a snack....."
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ith-concealex-sheath
It's worth the laugh.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given your (justified) complaint about the sheath on the Rat 5 you bought, the Buck looks like it has a much nicer sheath to my eye and also appears to come with a fire starter.

I would say Buck.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well. it currently stands at 3 to 3, so I still have no idea which to choose yet. Razz

Just to add to the discussion, I think the handle on the Cold Steel is just slightly better in terms of feel. But not much. The CS also doesn't include an exposed pommel. Not sure how I feel about that. The sheath on the Buck is nicer. The ferro rod with the Buck is really neither here nor there given I have a favorite ferro rod already that stays in my pack, so that rod would see little to no use.

More votes, more votes! Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Buck for sure!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I prefer the CS Master Hunter.

FYI: The Amazon link shows a pic of a Master Hunter but the title and description are of a Master Hunter Plus, which has a gut hook.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Buck.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buck.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I would go with the cold steel. I think you'd be surprise as to how sharp it is and can get.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buck.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Buck.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Have you determined where they originate from? Or do you care?

Happy 4th everyone.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
No experience with either, but just from the descriptions on Amazon I would go with the Cold Steel Master Hunter.

VG-1 steel and made in Japan gives it an edge over whatever the Buck might be throwing at us.

It also retails for $160 and has a $95 street price.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've only had experience with their larger knives, but just bases on the steel that they are made from I'd choose the Cold Steel.

It really is a better steel and will stay sharper longer. The gripping surface works really well when wet and provides a very secure grip.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel. Have one in Carbon V steel. Works great.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigabrig
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Benchmade!!
Oh wait... That wasn't an option.
The Buck would be my 2nd choice.
Good luck with whichever you choose!

Posts: 268 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post