SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    NKD: Microtech Daytona Blk/Ti Bubble Inlay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NKD: Microtech Daytona Blk/Ti Bubble Inlay Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
Like the title says, I got a new knife. Here it is compared to my Heretic Manticore E.

I decided since I don't shoot my P320 anymore (or striker guns in general), I would trade it into my local Microtech dealer that also runs a gun store. I'm also a little upset. This Microtech feels just as smooth and easy to fire as my Manticore. While the button is still a little aggressive, if my Sith Lord Blem felt like this knife's action, I never would have sold it. They even had a Sith Lord that was just like mine I could try and it also fired smooth and easy without the cheese grater button!

However, I much prefer this size/UTX 85 for EDC carry. It also fits me better than the Manticore E, and if I'm going to do a single edge blade, I'm either looking for a Tanto/Hellhound or a Warncliff/Warhound blade. The Manticore would have been much cooler as a double edge recurve with a spot for jimping like the bayonet-style blades Microtech uses.

The only downside to this knife, again, is I would have preferred to have serrations just to maximize usability with a double edge. This also means that it was just MY Microtech that I bought that I had issues with instead of all Microtechs having that issue. It also opens up to a lot more of them I can look at and be interested in buying.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
With my LUDT's disappearance Im looking hard at these. I was surprised by how long the ultratechs are, when closed. That stupid glass breaker is stupid IMO.

I need to break a window, so the first thing Im grabbing is my 400$ gucci knife. I don't think so, Tim. Stab? yes. Use like a hammer? Um no!?

I digress, I think the normal(non mini, non combat) Troodon checks a lot of boxes after seeing them in person. Not too big, not too small... UTX is very close. So is the Hera, but the Troodon has the grippiest handle.

I'm with you, gotta have partial serrations. Microtech can sharpen it haha.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DoctorSolo,

Posts: 5200 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
With my LUDT's disappearance Im looking hard at these. I was surprised by how long the ultratechs are, when closed. That stupid glass breaker is stupid IMO.

I need to break a window, so the first thing Im grabbing is my 400$ gucci knife. I don't think so, Tim. Stab? yes. Use like a hammer? Um no!?

I don't mind it because I'm not sure what I'll have on me when I need it. I've watched enough Mythbusters to realize how hand such a device is, but I do like the execution of the glassbreaker on the Heretic much better (ball bearing in the frame instead of sticking out).

quote:
I digress, I think the normal(non mini, non combat) Troodon checks a lot of boxes after seeing them in person. Not too big, not too small... UTX is very close. So is the Hera, but the Troodon has the grippiest handle.

The problem I'm finding with the Troodon is finding any in stock. There's loads of other ones out there, but maybe a couple of regular Troodons floating in the wild.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I've resolved to get on a few notify lists and try to be patient.

I keep eyeballing Heretic E's now. Good thing the right blade style and color combination hasn't appeared available yet...

ETA:
After starting at lists and lists of premium OTFs I kept going back to blade HQ's layaway option and said to hell with it. I can't find exactly what I want, so I'm gonna go bonkers and throw money at the problem.

The NFA game has gotten me used to waiting for things, sooo....to hell with "I love it, it's just 100$ more than I want to spend."

I'll be recieving a Manticore E Ultem D/E a bit before Christmas.

Another victim of the knives section!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DoctorSolo,

Posts: 5200 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post