SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Tired of buying terrible steak knives - recommendation for a knife?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Tired of buying terrible steak knives - recommendation for a knife? Login/Join 
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I may try Mercer Renaissance and/or Genesis. And also another model of Victorinox. If these don't work out, then I'm done. Aesthetics be damned, I'm gonna use my deba and a cutting board at the dinner table whenever a steak knife is called for. I'm too old to be chasing this shit. I just wanna eat.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
the cutco 2 pk. they have a special edge that has to be sharpened a the factory but I have been using mine for a year and they still cut steak like its butter!!
 
Posts: 8319 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I forgot about a steakhouse here that serves steak on wooden cutting boards.

Works well.




Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
 
Posts: 8541 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Messermeister Avanta Forged 5” Fine Edge Steak Knife Set - German X50 Stainless Steel w/ Pakkawood

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017P0GXWG

These were purchased as a replacement/upgrade to our 30 YO Henkels steak knives. We've had them for three years now and we've got ZERO complaints.

We purchased them based on positive reviews from multiple online sources, and they've proved worthy of all of the praise I had read at the time. Messermeister has a full line of kitchen cutlery and seem to be an excellent value. They're definitely worth a look IMO.


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Checking.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
the cutco 2 pk. they have a special edge that has to be sharpened a the factory but I have been using mine for a year and they still cut steak like its butter!!


I apologize for this but I've got to tell the truth. Cutco is vastly overpriced trash with a good guarantee. Their "Special Steel" is 440A stainless. Lower end Cutlery steel. Special edge?? They probably don't want people sharpening it and finding out what cheap steel they used.

Look at this knife:

https://www.amazon.com/Santoku...id=1788733943&sr=8-1

A $200 knife with steel that's not any better than a $20-$50 Mercer or Victorinox. The handles on Cutco kitchen knives are uncomfortable junk. You could buy 2 quality Japanese knives for the price of this junk. You can find a REALLY nice Japanese knife or Wustoff for this price.

Sorry to rain on your parade but Cutco is one of those brands that people need to be warned about to not fall into their advertising BS. My Brother had a pair of their Kitchen shears that rusted shut. I saw the pair he had at Costco for $174.99, On Amazon I bought the Highest rated OXO Kitchen Scissors for $21.95.

They have a "lifetime" guarantee and they will resharpen them for you but You can buy far better tools than Cutco for 1/5th to 1/10 the price! If you got them as a gift or whatever good for you but there are so many better knives for far less money, nobody should be buying them for themselves if they know anything about knives. Look up 440A on a knife steel chart, spend $20 on a Mercer and feel how a good knife handle is in the kitchen. But don't waste you money on overpriced Cutco.

I asked Grok about 440A.....

https://x.com/i/grok/share/e1a...4816a9e863bcd75f225b

"It is not a steel you buy for long edge life or hard use. Geometry and heat treat still matter more than the name on a $20 knife"

I guess I'm just aggravated with Cutco because they charge people (like my Brother) top end prices for low end junk and I'm the one that ends up sharpening it for them. If they had asked first they could have gotten far better knives for less and I'd only have to sharpen 1/2 to 1/3rd as much!

Forgive the accent but I saw this video to go with my CUTCO rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHvf4pMCRiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbqih3bOi20

This message has been edited. Last edited by: djpaintles,


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4205 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
We use Victorinox paring knives as steak knives. Inexpensive and a breeze to sharpen. The fancy steak knives are reserved for guests and that is rare.
 
Posts: 6111 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
neither I nor cutco said it was special steel. I realize that is cheaper steel. I am saying that i have a set that I have been using for over a year and it is still just as sharp as when I bought it .

OP didnt ask for the kives with the best steel.. We can both have our opinion on it. its fine.
 
Posts: 8319 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
neither I nor cutco said it was special steel. I realize that is cheaper steel. I am saying that i have a set that I have been using for over a year and it is still just as sharp as when I bought it .

OP didnt ask for the kives with the best steel.. We can both have our opinion on it. its fine.


Again, I apologize for my strong Opinion I didn't mean it as a personal attack on you. And yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. LOTS of people buy CUTCO knives including my Brother, one of my best Freinds etc. so you are by no means alone in liking your Cutco knives, they sell TONS of them.

That being said they sold almost 8 MILLION Ginsu knives which were trash. CUTCO's are better than GINSU of course but the point is just because people buy them doesn't mean they are the best. The OP stated that he was tired of bad knives and I was hoping to save him and others some money.

But again nothing at all personal with you, I can't recall anything else we much disagreed on and you are a valuable member here.........dj


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4205 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Follow up on my earlier thoughts that Mora wouldn’t be good as a steak knife. I tried last night on a 16oz bone in NY strip. The handle does get in the way, the blade is too short, too thick, and too wide. I trimmed a whole packet brisket with it and it’s not a good knife for that either.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks guys. Checking.


I just saw one you need to look at:

https://warthercutlery.com/col...oducts/5-steak-knife

AMERICAN Made 5" Chef's Knife out of MAGNACUT Steel! $75

Magnacut Steel is one of my Favorite Steels ever. I'm going to have try a knife or two from here as soon as I can afford to. It's AMAZING to get a hand made in America knife with MAGNACUT Steel for less than CUTCO!


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4205 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I received these as a gift some years back. They're fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BC...07-3f4e65a4b666&th=1




NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
 
Posts: 10122 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Look for a vintage set of Gerber Miming steak knives. They're like scalpels. I have a problem with buying a set every time I see them for sale.

https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfro...pg?v=8DDD61247D25300

Bruce






"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
 
Posts: 4298 | Location: Sin City | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Look for a vintage set of Gerber Miming steak knives. They're like scalpels. I have a problem with buying a set every time I see them for sale.

https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfro...pg?v=8DDD61247D25300

Bruce


Very good recommendation, you can look for Gerber Pixies or even their B&T with Armorhide handle.



"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
 
Posts: 3698 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Tired of buying terrible steak knives - recommendation for a knife?

© SIGforum 2026