SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Inglorious Bastards Bowie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inglorious Bastards Bowie Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
Last night I clicked on a YouTube with Adam Savage, he was building a copy of the Bowie used in the movie Inglorious Bastards.
What caught my eye was the handle made with Elk horn, I thought it was stunning and I liked the texture and roundness of the grip.
I would like to buy a similar knife but want one that's made well.
From my searches I see knock offs from Pakistan, I want better craftsmanship than that, along with a great steel, Not stainless, maybe D2, and a full tang.Nothing gaudy or overly ornate.

Hoping to find something for less that $300.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmjZL8nm3MM

Posts: 4685 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie profile is pretty close. Preordering on their custom sheet will get an elk antler handle, but emailing them with the details and pictures might get you a custom that is pretty close.

Bark River produces their knives in batches, so it might be a while until they get to it.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Bark River suggestion.
I will try to contact them.
If I can't find a maker I might buy a bowie that has what I want, then do the antler handle myself.

Any ideas for a source for antler type materials?

Posts: 4685 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I don't care for the elk handle. But am going to contact a source I trust about ordering one with the Natural canvas Micarta to see how long it will take.

Been thinking about a full size bowie in this size. Thanks for the thread. $300 for a quality blade of this size is doable and a good value.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I don't care for the elk handle. But am going to contact a source I trust about ordering one with the Natural canvas Micarta to see how long it will take.

Been thinking about a full size bowie in this size. Thanks for the thread. $300 for a quality blade of this size is doable and a good value.

Keep posting on what you discover.

posted Hide Post
https://www.buckknives.com/cus...ie-knife/?sku=CKS916

Buck custom shop 916 Bowie is customizable, adding $135 elk handles pushed the price to $400 however. Buck 420HC steel has never let me down.

Also Etsy has quite a few well under your budget. Your taking your chances on where the steel comes from based on sellers reputation I guess. Depends if you will use the knife hard or not or a decoration piece.

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post