SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tips for teaching kids to fly fish?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for teaching kids to fly fish? Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
I'm pretty new to fly fishing. June 17 I am going to take my 6 YO on a llama fly fishing pack trip with my uncle-in-law. We will hike in to a remote lake that is very easy to catch rainbow trout on...I went with him last year, and I caught probably 20+ fish over 1.5 days. It was my second time fly fishing.

Anyone have recommendations for gear for a 6 YO?

Also, any general advice for teaching a child to fish?

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I recommend that Dad (aka the OP) wear kevlar gloves, thick long sleeved shirt, thick pants (not shorts), and safety glasses. As a youngster learning to fish, I certainly caught my Dad much more frequently than I caught a fish.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23378 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You're kidding, right? Seriously, if you want to get a 6 yr old into fishing, fly fishing would be a disaster. Start him/her out with a closed face spinning outfit with a bobber and a worm where they will catch a fish or two. Geesh!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let your Uncle-in-law teach him.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
When I was learning up on the Platte southwest of Denver, I hooked my buddy from New York in the eyelid. I had warned him multiple times not to walk behind me. He didn't listen of course, and was very lucky I didn't cause him great harm.

If you have the patience, you can probably pull off fishing with the youngster. But go very slow and make it fun.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10926 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The lake I am taking him to is very desolate. I bet we will be the only people on the lake. The hardest part will be the 3 mile hike in, but we have llamas to carry our gear. Last year while I was there 3 other people showed up with spinner rods. They didn't catch a single fish. I would not even bother with a hook, worm and bobber. Roll Eyes

There's also not a tree within 100 yards of where we fish from. If I was able to catch 20+ fish on my second time fly fishing, I am pretty sure my boy will catch a couple...Even if I have to cast the line then give him the rod to hold.

He just needs to get his line out in the water 20 feet. I've watched a bunch of Orvis videos on Youtube tonight and the main theme is to keep things simple. He will need waders though as the water is cold.

I'll keep looking for a starter kit, I think Orvis has some.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
My dad/uncles started me off with a regular spinning rod - and a dry fly with a small bobber. This was when we were really young. I honestly can't recall when I learned how to cast an actual flyrod. I do remember cutting off the hook of a large kind of wet fly like a wooly-buger and casting it in the yard. But that was in my early teens or there about...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2276 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I am going to practice in the back yard before we go. A dry fly with the hook barb cut off.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I think you're asking too much of a 6 year old to be able to handle and stay interested in something as complicated as fly fishing.

As someone else stated, get them a little ultralight rig with the push button reel and a bobber and they will be happy as can be.

Posts: 33947 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
To be honest, I think you're asking too much of a 6 year old to be able to handle and stay interested in something as complicated as fly fishing.

As someone else stated, get them a little ultralight rig with the push button reel and a bobber and they will be happy as can be.

I second this.

You could use floating leader with dry flies on the end. With a push button closed face real.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
When I was about six or seven years old my father took a small fishing rod and tied a little rubber ball onto the line. He sat a small bucket in the yard and had me practice casting. The object was to cast and place the ball into the bucket. (Did the same with golfing and chipping into a bucket later).

It worked tremendously well and as a result I can pretty much drop a lure, weighted fishing rig or whatever where I want it. I adapted the same with fly fishing later.

As a Boy Scout Den Leader/Scoutmaster later in life I used my dads’ training principles as some other forum folks have as well. I had kids who had never fished or handled any type of fishing rod or reel. It’s a steep learning curve but once they pick it up it goes fast in this environment. I had a line of kids and I had found closed-face spinners for starting. They got points for how many times they could cast into the bucket. We have very few that didn’t pick up on it. Hit the dollar store and they have useful buckets and small balls.

It’s a very effective way to teach rod and reel principles without getting hit and hooked.

Posts: 1508 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try it first without a fly, piece of whatever, no hook. Hit the child to try putting the object in a target. See how many times there possible accidents where a hook would be a problem. Now go get a zebco kiddie rod and real, a bobber and a baited hook with you doing the casting or get a cane pole much safer!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most closed-faced thumb release kids rod and reel combos come with a casting plug. (A little rubber fish in our case) Our granddaughters learned to cast pretty well in the living room using them. Made it even more fun when the cat would grab the fish and try to run the other way Big Grin

Posts: 1363 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others who are advising to start out with a spinning rod.

If you want to go with the fly rod though, I would recommend a rod with more of a medium to full flex action that can match the pace a 6 year old would be able to cast a rod to....maybe something in a 3 or 4 weight and less than 9 feet.

I would think dry flies for a 6 year old are almost out of the question, especially if the fish are picky. Presentation with a dry fly is everything and a 6 year old will not have the finesse. You might be better served rigging up some woolly buggers and san juan worms. If you insisted on going with dry flies I would get some smaller royal coachmans , adams, and some ant patterns. Obviously you would also want to find out what is hatching in that region at this time of year and buy some of those flies as well.

There is a reason so few people become fly fisherman and stay fly fisherman for the long haul. It is very technical and requires a lot of time and patience to become good at it. Even those who have been fishing for years know to expect days on the river where you may not catch even one fish. Most of us who have stuck with it enjoy not only the fishing but everything else associated with it, entomology, the gear, the peace of being on the water, planning out a strategy, and the satisfaction of mastering something that is difficult, just to name a few.

I truly wish you luck and that your 6 year old enjoys the experience. In all honesty maybe just the adventure of the trip and time in the great outdoors with dad will be more than enough to keep him/her smiling and wanting to do it again.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 893 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they even still make them or not, but when I was that age, Eagle Claw used to make a combination fly/spinning rod. That would be my suggestion for him. Pick up a cheapo fly reel for $20 and closed face spinning reel for about the same. That way he can do one or the other or both.

No sense in spending a few hundred bucks on Orvis gear for a 6 y/o who is going to get frustrated and end up potentially not liking it at all.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You could buy a copy of The Curtis Creek Manifesto, a comic book style guide for beginning fly fishermen. Amazon sells it for $7.00 or so. You can read it with your son. I think 6 is pretty young (and short)!to start wading and fly casting, but it may work out, if it's HIS idea to do it. If I was going to outfit a kid to fly fish, I'd probably try to find a graphite 7 1/2' or 8' 5/6 rod and reel combo. WalMart sometimes has some reasonably satisfactory setups for a beginner. Plan on having the rod tip get broken several times. Years ago Orvis combos were warranteed against tip breakage. I have no idea if that's still the case, but their combos were priced high enough to allow Orvis to replace broken tip sections a couple times and still come out ahead.

Posts: 26982 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
You could buy a copy of The Curtis Creek Manifesto, a comic book style guide for beginning fly fishermen. Amazon sells it for $7.00 or so. You can read it with your son. I think 6 is pretty young (and short)!to start wading and fly casting, but it may work out, if it's HIS idea to do it. If I was going to outfit a kid to fly fish, I'd probably try to find a graphite 7 1/2' or 8' 5/6 rod and reel combo. WalMart sometimes has some reasonably satisfactory setups for a beginner. Plan on having the rod tip get broken several times. Years ago Orvis combos were warranteed against tip breakage. I have no idea if that's still the case, but their combos were priced high enough to allow Orvis to replace broken tip sections a couple times and still come out ahead.

The Curtiss Creek Manifesto is a great idea. I own a copy and I still enjoy flipping through it from time to time.

Orvis still has the 25 year guarantee on their rods and they are very good about replacing broken rods, no questions asked.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 893 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I am going to practice in the back yard before we go. A dry fly with the hook barb cut off.

Don't even bother with a fly, just a line indicator or a piece of yarn. You're not casting the fly, you're casting the line.

ETA
There are combo spin/fly rods eagle claw makes the one I have, if you get him one of those, if the fly experience goes south, he can switch to spin casting and do better.
When you start to teach him fly fishing, start with a roll cast that's the easiest for a novice to master which will stimulate his interest.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this the first time your boy is fly fishing?

I think your really setting yourself up for disaster. While it sounds good hiking in the mountain with your boy and catching fish, I can see a lot of problems. I dont know many 6 yr olds who have the patience or skills for fly fishing. As you already know there are many technical aspects to fly fishing which I dont think a 6 yr old will grasp.

I dont think you have enough time to get him familiar with a rod and line. There is the possibility of both of you having a miserable time if things do not go right.

Posts: 5431 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Don't even bother with a fly, just a line indicator or a piece of yarn. You're not casting the fly, you're casting the line.

ETA
There are combo spin/fly rods eagle claw makes the one I have, if you get him one of those, if the fly experience goes south, he can switch to spin casting and do better.
When you start to teach him fly fishing, start with a roll cast that's the easiest for a novice to master which will stimulate his interest.

The bolded above. We use hoola hoops as the target when teaching folks new to fishing.

I worry a little about a 6 year old in waders should he fall.

If it was me I would go with the spinner rod as well. I think my goal to start would be to catch some fish and try and let him land them.

We fish a friend who brings his grandson who is that age. He gets distracted pretty quickly but gets really excited when landing a fish - even though his Grandpa hooked it.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post