SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    reimbursement for cancelled flight?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reimbursement for cancelled flight? Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I guess I won't complain about the cancelled flight last week that another airline. THey put me in a cab to another airport. A 3.5 hour cab ride.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
heat is interesting

last summer we had a 117 degree day and not only did TUS close, but so did David Monthan

the runways were not long enough for the F16's to take off, they were close to idle operating limits on the engines

TUS closed for density altitude issues and a small runway heave

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the next trip I would recommend travel insurance wi5 a reputable comapny. They cover these types of losses.
Some credit card companies have it covered automatically. You may want to check with your card agreement. It may be a benefit you didn’t know you’ve had.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Travel is an exercise in bleeding money; you just try to minimize the damage.

Those on tight budgets are bound to get the shaft at some point.

I have done some interesting things, like deplane when it was obvious we weren't going anywhere for 8+ hours due to fog, get a 1-way rental car and drive 4 hours to the destination. People on the flight looked at me like I was crazy, yet they got to deplane and board, deplane and board again before finally launching - while I was already at home for 4 hours.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]I have done some interesting things, like deplane when it was obvious we weren't going anywhere for 8+ hours due to fog, get a 1-way rental car and drive 4 hours to the destination. People on the flight looked at me like I was crazy, yet they got to deplane and board, deplane and board again before finally launching - while I was already at home for 4 hours.

That makes good sense. Have done the same. In the past the airline would send the luggage to my residence. Is this still the case?

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I have done some interesting things, like deplane when it was obvious we weren't going anywhere for 8+ hours due to fog, get a 1-way rental car and drive 4 hours to the destination. People on the flight looked at me like I was crazy, yet they got to deplane and board, deplane and board again before finally launching - while I was already at home for 4 hours.

I did that a couple of months ago. I had a connection through Chicago, getting to work, and we got held outside Chicago, then diverted to Kansas City. The flight didn't go that night, and they rebooked me for the next day, but back to Chicago then a gamble getting downrange from there.

I rented a car and drove 10 hours, as I had an assignment I couldn't miss. I took my luggage with, when I got off the diverted flight.

Then the assignment cancelled, per Murphy.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Ok I get that the weather issue is complicated. Have you ever known an airline to be dishonest in saying the weather is a problem, when it is not? Is there a way to confirm? This question is directed to pilots or those who work in the airline industry. Thanks

I've never seen that. I've been on regionals that coughed up excuses and had a mechanical, turning it into a "pilot duty issue," most likely because it was a later flight in the pilot's duty cycle and they were pressed for time. That's largely because the regionals tend to push their people harder; longer days, more legs, more duty time, more flight time, less margin. By the time the weather or maintenance or gate delays went on, the crew couldn't go and the airline was short staffed enough that they didn't have a reserve crew...

I've never seen flights cancelled frivolously with a made up excuse. You can be absolutely assured that if I have issues with the weather, it's in everybody's best interest to listen. Remember that the pilot is the first one to the scene of the crash. I won't accept a flight that's not legal, or that's not safe. Legality in aviation is a really big deal; it's not like getting a speeding ticket. FAA enforcement action can be career damaging or ending, and most pilots will not take any chance of harming their career, or infringing safety or the regulation.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post