SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple TV questions and opinions!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple TV questions and opinions! Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Well, I think it's time to shut down Comcast. Too much money for what we watch. We only do some Netflix and local news for the most part, and I just cannot justify $200 plus every month for such limited viewing. I ordered a couple of Apple TVs and I am gonna have Comcast shut down everything except for internet. Any feedback on the Apple units and is it easy to set-up? Any "needs to know"? Thanks for this wonderful forum once more!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I found that the AppleTV did little for me without cable subscriptions for content I wanted. AppleTV is in cahoots with content providers, and just because you see a CNN or FoxNEWS tile to select doesn't mean it actually exists on the unit. There is a log-in process that never stayed functional for any number of channels, and a multi-step process of going to a computer, proving I was subscribed, and then keying in that code on the AppleTV.

What free content it could provide was rather unusual. I recall some free content of Anime cartoons, and other odd programming.

I also found that the price for internet alone was jacked up as a single feature, and that my internet was actually cheaper for a given speed as part of a package deal that included TV. One way I did it was to pick the cheapest local TV package of 12 channels, and a high-speed internet.

Finally, I found that the Amazon Prime units were cheaper, and that the Prime subscription had more free content and more Prime-funded original Amazon series that were actually quite good.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
We're happy with our Apple TV. As long as it's close enough to your wireless router to get a good signal, it's pretty easy to set up and use.

You may also want to look at an HD Antenna. This one from Moho is highly rated and gets 51 channels in my area, costs $32 to buy and has no monthly fees.
Moho ReLeaf

You can go to this page, enter your zip code and see how many channels each of Mohu model can pull in. Moho Zip Code

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon Firestix and a subscription to Sony Vue network will give you 90 channels of live streaming tv. Netflix and Amazon prime will give you movies and a large library of content. Cost for above around $70 per month plus your hi speed internet access. Firestix has made my Apple TV obsolete.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have Amazon Fire tv and a Amazon Prime subscription. I coupled that with DirecTv Now live tv streaming and couldn't be happier.
DirecTv Now is awesome. I get 100 plus channels of live tv for $37 a month. This was a introductory offer and I think the same package now runs $60 a month but still a good value vs. cable or satellite.

I just received a email from DirecTv Now last week and they gave me HBO free for a year on top of everything else. In addition to live streaming of channels you get a ton of on demand stuff from DirecTv Now.

You have to add your on demand stuff to your watch list from their web site there is no search function on their app. Took me awhile to figure that out.

Between Amazon Fire and DirecTv Now I have many more choices at about a third of the cost.

Lots of negative reviews out there on DirecTv Now and it had some serious issues at first. Constant buffering and app the would randomly crash frequently. I stuck with it figuring they would fix it and apparently they did.

Still get a bit of buffering and the app will crash about once a week or so but it takes me all of 10 seconds to relaunch it. I can live with that for the money I'm saving.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have an Apple TV and an Amazon Fire Tv on my set. I tend to use the Fire more but really like the ability to stream from my iPad to the Apple TV.

I still have dish at $100 a month but I see the end in sight for them.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Apple TV has yet to be the "go to"" for live streaming.. nothing new there. There is nothing difficult about setting up the Apps for Fox, CNN, etc. I love ours for entertainment tv. If your an apple person and have an iTunes collection it's awesome.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7067 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The apple tv box is great for using your ipad to control the tv or stream to it. I use Roku for that.

HOWEVER, I dropped Comcast and went to the Sony VUE TV, the elite plan price ($55) is my all in price. It is great, free DVR, can watch it on 5 devices for the same price, they have an app you can watch it on your tablet. The only downsides are you can't watch it away from your house, and it's not quick to change between channels if you flip back and forth between 2 shows at the same time. The plans are cheap. I went with the $55 plan which has EVERYTHING comcast did,all of the sports channels, NFL ticket is $35, if you want HBO and Cinemax it's only like $20 more per month. But they have plans as cheap as $40. You can use a apple tv box to access it, you do need internet which you have. The Sony vue offers more channels than the apple tv IMO.

https://www.playstation.com/en...etwork/vue/channels/

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just be careful with telling Comcast you're cutting the cord and going internet-only, as they will try to punish you with a more expensive standalone internet service. I'd check into something like one of their bare bones "double play" packages where you get local channels via cable and Internet. It often will be cheaper than a standalone internet package.

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post