SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kuiu, First Lite, or another puff jacket?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kuiu, First Lite, or another puff jacket? Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
It’s 100 degrees outside, but Kuiu sent me a coupon, and I was thinking of finally buying their Super Down Ultra Hooded Jacket to use as a mid-layer. It will be kept in my pack and used for glassing or when I stop to rest snowshoeing. First Lite has a Brooks Down Sweater in that same price range.

Is there going to be a big difference between the two? Are they worth the extra money vs. something from Eddie Bauer/North Face, or am I paying for the name?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ackks,

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Edited: because the original post was edited.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both are solid, however keep in mind Kifaru is a backpack brand, attempting to build apparel versus First Lite is an apparel brand first.

Both brands have their strengths however they produce apparel in small volume (when compared to more well known technical brands) and that shows up in certain aspects in construction/design/textiles. Personally, I've found fit can be an issue, I'd recommend ordering both and returning the one that doesn't 'fit right' for you. I live near the Kuiu showroom/HQ (another brand worth looking into for 'technical hunt/fish brand') its not unusual for guys buying sizes that are a bit different compared to what they 'normally' buy, which is usually Wal-Mart/Sportsman Warehouse low-end/mass-market brands.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Following.

I have an OTTE Gear LV hooded jacket that I really like. 100gram PrimaLoft Gold insulation. It’s turned into my go to. Great with a tshirt or a light weight under layer. For me, it’s a roomier fit than the Arcteryx and other slim trim fits. It also has a good hood design I like.

They sent me the HV by mistake and that could only be worn, for me, in really cold non active events.

Neither would compress down super small but the LV is pretty wind tight and water resistant.

https://ottegear.com/collectio...roducts/lv-insulated

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Kuiu and First Lite are made over sea's. Probably Chicom.

Kifaru makes at least some if not all state side.

If you want down which is great. Look at Feathered Friends.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant Kuiu in my opening post. I have an OTTE gear jacket as well that works well. I'm looking for more of a mid-layer to throw in my pack. I normally wear a shell and an alpaca hoodie while moving.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Are the jackets made by Kuiu, Kifaru, and FL more durable since they are made for hunting and FF is more of a backpacking brand?

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, unfortunately Kuiu gear is now made in China. However the quality is absolutely top
notch.
I have an old guide jacket I believe that is made in Canada and there is zero difference in quality.
I’d love to see an American equivalent that is even remotely close in price.
I’d gladly switch but I have yet to find one.

————————————————

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Yes, unfortunately Kuiu gear is now made in China. However the quality is absolutely top
notch.
I have an old guide jacket I believe that is made in Canada and there is zero difference in quality.

What would set their down jackets apart? Is it the fill? The durability?

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I respect BlackLX, but disagree Kuiu is the best you seek. I have owned some of it. It is OK, but not the best, by a long ways imho. And overpriced a bunch imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

notch.

What would set their down jackets apart? Is it the fill? The durability?

The thing that sets them apart for me is how quiet the material and fill is. Many of these jackets/gear whatever you want to call it are rather loud and scratchy sounding with movement. I have the Kenai and it is nearly silent even when you rub the materials together trying to see how much noise it will make just because you are shocked at how quiet it is in normal use.

The warmth to weight/bulk ratio with breathability is very impressive.

Durability seems to be on par or better than any big solid company.
I have a Guide Jacket I bought 2nd hand from a member here 6 years ago (not sure how long they had it) and for me it sees wear about 6 days a week from September to April. It is the older model made in Canada and it is in top shape.
All my other stuff does not get worn nearly that much but have had zero issues.

My biggest gripe is their athletic fit on nearly everything and I have to size up.

Under layers I am a Large Tall (in companies that do that) or an XL but the XL is good length wise but generally boxy or baggie.
Outerwear I am an Xl mainly for length but the bigger size helps when layering.

I have to get an XXL across the board from Kuiu.
I can’t wear their underwear as it has quite the low rise waist and to get the waistband anywhere near where it should be put way too much material up in my crotch.

quote:
I respect BlackLX, but disagree Kuiu is the best you seek. I have owned some of it. It is OK, but not the best, by a long ways imho. And overpriced a bunch imho.

Of the Brands mentioned a couple not mentioned I really like Kuiu.
I am not familiar with Kifaru but just a quick site peek they have like 2 jacket options.

Kuiu is quite expensive but so is everyone in this market. I buy 2nd hand or from the outlet.

I am certainly open for suggestions on who makes a better product in the price range.

Prior to Kuiu Marmot was my go to brand. I started buying their stuff in the late 90s. My light 1-2 day pack is a Marmot Granite bag I bought in 2001 when I went to college. It has been beaten consistently and been all over the world. Still going strong.

I started to bulk up around 2016/17 and needed to get some new things as the Marmot was a bit snug but still very usable. I also started hunting and a buddy at work introduced my to Kuiu.
I’ve tried Sitka and First Light and their stuff is good I prefer Kuiu.

————————————————

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I'm going to second Kuiu. Technically, very advanced outerwear and very lightweight.
Expensive
Athletic fit--usually upsize x 1
Outlet is the best option for price.

Kuiu was the original designer for the Sitka digital camo. He sold out to Gore-Tex, then rebranded as Kuiu. He's now deceased-wife running company.

Kuiu Technology--Nuyarn, Dot Air, Primaflex, Karuishi Fleece, DWR 3DeFX+, Torain and K-DWR.

Mid-layer use is Nuyarn or DotAir.
Based on your post--100 degrees out and you want to glass while snowshoeing--> Dot Air would be my recommendation.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I also second KUIU, I have several of their jackets, Pants, and shorts.

I have had the guide jacket for several years, and it's just as nice as when I got it, I use it from Sept - May, I also have the Super Down Ultra Jacket, and for warmth and weight it is the best I have found, and it wads up to fit in a pack and it only weighs 6.4oz.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a pair of Kuiu shorts (Switchback) and have been evaluating them given their price. They are made in Vietnam which is
a let down given their price point. They however have been wearing very nice in Houston high 90 degree heat. They seem to breath well, have an thinner cut, long inseam.

This is my first Kuiu purchase but so far I would purchase from them again.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

I looked at what FF has for down options and their Eos is $389, which is around the price for the Super Down Pro at Kuiu. What makes Kuiu overpriced compared to what I'd get at FF? I'm trying to understand before making my purchase.

Unless they are designed as an outer layer, there probably won't be much of a difference in terms of durability catching it on something, right? I read some Kuiu reviews saying people would store or cover the Super Down Ultra if they were moving. That's probably true regardless of the brand.

and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I have a Kuiu Super Down Ultra jacket (no hood). It’s great as a super-light, mid-layer down jacket. I can’t speak to the FirstLite jacket, but I’m very happy with the Kuiu.

If you do decide to buy the Kuiu, just know that their Founder’s Day sale satarts tomorrow (07/08). You may be able to get that jacket at a slightly deeper discount. They’re promising 30-40% off, but sometimes that is on select items.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TannerBoyl:
I have a Kuiu Super Down Ultra jacket (no hood). It’s great as a super-light, mid-layer down jacket. I can’t speak to the FirstLite jacket, but I’m very happy with the Kuiu.

If you do decide to buy the Kuiu, just know that their Founder’s Day sale satarts tomorrow (07/08). You may be able to get that jacket at a slightly deeper discount. They’re promising 30-40% off, but sometimes that is on select items.

The flyer I got in the mail says some items up to 60% off.
Looking forward to browsing tomorrow!!

————————————————

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It sounds like I asked at the right time.

quote:
Originally posted by TannerBoyl:

How was the sizing on the Ultra Down vs other jackets you wear?

and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I wear between a Large and an XL depending on how snug I want the jacket to fit. I had originally purchased the Super Down Ultra in XL. It fit decently, but I wanted it to hug a little closer, so I returned it and got a Large. I think the large works the best for me.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It looks like the prices for the sale are up already. Most of the deals seem to be on the camo versions.