SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do folks stop on the side of the road in the middle of a hailstorm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do folks stop on the side of the road in the middle of a hailstorm? Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
On a trip to South Dakota some years back, we encountered hail that was like a snowstorm. Pea sized so wasn't damaging but in such quantity that the landscape and road was coated 2 inches thick. Appeared as the ground was covered in diamonds when the sun came out. It was like driving on ball bearings. Fortunately air was warm and the hail melted quickly. I have lived in the plains states all of my 75 years and have never seen anything like this again. Even the semis were pulled over for that storm. Have no idea what the measured rainfall for that would have been but obviously substantial in a short period of time.

Hill City, sorry Hail City as we called it on several occasions used their snow plows to clear the roads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4867 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm one of the ones that always pulls over during a hailstorm (although few and far between here in Louisiana, they still occasionally appear).

My thinking is that a hailstone hitting my windshield at zero MPH, discounting whatever drop velocity is there, is better than my adding anywhere from 40-60 MPH based on my driving speed. The impact would be less, so I go with the "pull over". "Impact" can be taken a couple of different ways, so is that a pun?

Phu Bai, Vietnam, 68-69
Baghdad, Iraq, 04-05

Posts: 31 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
On a trip to South Dakota some years back, we encountered hail that was like a snowstorm. Pea sized so wasn't damaging but in such quantity that the landscape and road was coated 2 inches thick. Appeared as the ground was covered in diamonds when the sun came out. It was like driving on ball bearings. Fortunately air was warm and the hail melted quickly. I have lived in the plains states all of my 75 years and have never seen anything like this again. Even the semis were pulled over for that storm. Have no idea what the measured rainfall for that would have been but obviously substantial in a short period of time.

Hill City, sorry Hail City as we called it on several occasions used their snow plows to clear the roads.

Yup from Rockerville south to Hill City and beyond, this is NOT an uncommon occurrence, even in July. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16327 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
a nephew of mine was driving along a highway in PA a few years ago and large hail broke out his windshield. I saw the vehicle after that and it looked like it had chicken pox

Posts: 2874 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Living in central New Mexico I saw some pretty horrendous hailstorms.

U.S.60 west of Socorro I pulled off into what at the time was the Water Canyon Lodge. At the end of the storm there was probably eight inches of hail on the ground. Between what was falling from the sky as rain and hail and the slippery road surface it wasn’t safe to drive.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8197 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And!
Why do people take shopping carts from the handicapped spots in the parking lots?

Just leave four or five out there.

The handicappers might need them to get into the store.
Or
Perhaps the handicappers are bringing merch back and a shopping cart could be required.

A lot of partially disabled folks can get by with just a shopping cart and not a scooter.

Tink about the next shopper, even if they are not yet there.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54879 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Speaking of hailstorms, this took place Wednesday 25 miles from Jerkwater, where we were enjoying 97° and a dry wind:

Posts: 27024 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Why do people take shopping carts from the handicapped spots in the parking lots?

Just leave four or five out there.

The handicappers might need them to get into the store.
Especially in a hail storm! Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30922 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post