SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grand stupidity makes for a spectacular crash
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand stupidity makes for a spectacular crash Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, many years ago- the late 1980s, I think- GSP stopped me for speeding on I-75. I don't know if they still do it, but back then, if they issued you a ticket they would take your driver's license until you paid or appeared. I asked him if he would make an exception, because I was planning on going to the gun show that weekend and would likely make a purchase. He said yeah, he was probably going to that show, too. He thought about it for a second and said "Tell ya what. Here." and he gave me my license. "Just slow it down a bit, OK?" Smile

Sometimes I need reassuring that we live in a great country. Your post is proof we do.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, many years ago- the late 1980s, I think- GSP stopped me for speeding on I-75. I don't know if they still do it, but back then, if they issued you a ticket they would take your driver's license until you paid or appeared. I asked him if he would make an exception, because I was planning on going to the gun show that weekend and would likely make a purchase. He said yeah, he was probably going to that show, too. He thought about it for a second and said "Tell ya what. Here." and he gave me my license. "Just slow it down a bit, OK?" Smile

In the early 80's I got a speeding ticket in company truck, took my license said I would get it back when ticket was paid.
When I got back to work we had a new HR guy, retired FOP chief. He yelled they can't do that.
Next morning he had my license and the ticket disappeared Big Grin

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I've said it before, anyone stupid enough to run from a state highway trooper is a fool. Those guys rule the highway, you can't run from them without 1) going to jail, 2) going to the hospital in handcuffs, or 3) going to the morgue. You gotta be stupider than stupid to mess with those guys. And don't forget the helicopters, road spikes, and K9 dogs, they got those too you stupid idiot. So yea you can still escape if you just drive faster, yea that's the ticket, just drive faster.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I've said it before, anyone stupid enough to run from a state highway trooper is a fool. Those guys rule the highway, you can't run from them without 1) going to jail, 2) going to the hospital in handcuffs, or 3) going to the morgue. You gotta be stupider than stupid to mess with those guys. And don't forget the helicopters, road spikes, and K9 dogs, they got those too you stupid idiot. So yea you can still escape if you just drive faster, yea that's the ticket, just drive faster.

In my younger stupid days my bike broke down, got on the back of my friends new Vmax. doing about 85 on the interstate
passed a cop sitting under an overpass, looked back and saw his lights come on. my buddy nailed it. I looked over his shoulder,
I think we were going about 130. Had such a big head start on him, got off at the next exit parked behind a bar for a few hours.
Sold the bike at the end of summer,have never owned another. I'm lucky I survived that summer. These days with cell phones
I would never get on another.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Can’t say as I recall this story, I mean they’re all pretty much the same. Have them daily here in Atlanta, although most don’t in fatality.

This story dates back almost a year. Local TV News

One less thug:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mjlennon,

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
And don't forget the police choppers. There's nothing stupider than a perp fleeing a police helicopter, particularly after they crash the car, and start running on foot, spotlighted the whole time by helicopter spotlights. Yea, just run faster. The faster you run the more likely you can escape from the police helicopter following your on foot with a spotlight, guiding the officers and K9s chasing your ass on the ground. Yea just run faster, that's the ticket to freedom.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
All for failure to use turn signal.

His death was in vane. Turn signal use is no better today than before his death.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

In today's installment, we see an escaped prison, running from the Georgia State Police on a stolen motorcycle, make a poor judgement of the spatial relationship of his vehicle and another on the road.

I had a similar crash on a motorcycle, and though I was going easily as fast (but not running from the cops on a stolen bike), the car I hit at 60 mph was stationary. Those accidents happen in an instant, but I remember a lot of the details of my airborne adventure.

In this case, the miscreant dies in the accident.

Trust me, I know how blessed I am to have survived, much less largely uninjured.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31453 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

I personally commend his professionalism given what he was just involved in, the result, what he just saw and what the rest of his day week, etc., is going to be like.

Yeah, that officer was as cool as a cucumber.

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those guys have done it before: #1. Don't kneel at a crash scene (broken glass hurts), and #2. Keep your uniform clean.

Another day at the office.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That was pretty fast driving. If he hadn't crashed, he might have gotten away.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I witnessed something similar a couple weeks ago. Traffic was moving along about 75 mph, three lane highway. Asshat in riced out Infinity doing roughly 90, using all three lanes like he was playing a video game. Lost control, hit leading edge of guard rail, launched himself, tumbling ass over tea kettle about 15 feet in the air and flew off into the woods.
I stopped and called it in. Gave a full description of the events as I saw them. Another guy stopped and waited for the responders. I went to work.
There's no way the driver could have survived.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post