SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Skunks spraying dogs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skunks spraying dogs Login/Join 
posted
Must have been a herd of them. We now have 3 dogs who smell to the heavens. The mini dachshund got the brunt of it because while the other two backed down and ran, she decided to show her bravery and went charging in.

It was so bad our neighbor, about 3/4 of a mile away called up. "What in the hell happened up there?"

Today I put on my swim trunks and made up the solution and scrubbed all 3 down. 3 times. They aren't very fond of me.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Damn dogs. Damn skunks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe my farm dogs actually liked the smell.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we smelled it, we shut the windows and turned off the vents to the house.

The Mrs. lit some incense so now the house smells like a cross between turd and Catholic Service (she's Catholic so save me the pain).

Once I got them cleaned up, they rolled in the dirt. One while he was walking away, raised his tail and showed my his butthole like he was saying "Here's yours".

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I'm probably alone in feeling this way, but a very faint smell of skunk on a summer night while out driving is actually quite pleasant to me. I've often liked it mixed in with the scent of pines or alfalfa fields. Certainly not enough to gag a maggot of course, but just a very very faint smell mixed in with others.

I don't know...guess I'm weird.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Our two have been hit a total of 3 times in 2018. The last one was 2 months ago and she still reaks all to hell. I need to shave her bald or something.

We have been using peroxide, baking soda and blue dawn mixed to the consistency of toothpaste. Soak them and let sit for 45 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times.

The last dog to get hit, stuck her little head through the hole in the fence and got blasted at PB range. Yellow oil and all.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm probably alone in feeling this way, but a very faint smell of skunk on a summer night while out driving is actually quite pleasant to me. I've often liked it mixed in with the scent of pines or alfalfa fields. Certainly not enough to gag a maggot of course, but just a very very faint smell mixed in with others.

Help is but a phone call away. Maybe too much exposure to laughing gas. You probably like the smell of embalming fluid as well.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
Our two have been hit a total of 3 times in 2018. The last one was 2 months ago and she still reaks all to hell. I need to shave her bald or something.

We have been using peroxide, baking soda and blue dawn mixed to the consistency of toothpaste. Soak them and let sit for 45 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times.

The last dog to get hit, stuck her little head through the hole in the fence and got blasted at PB range. Yellow oil and all.

Hummm...the recipe I have calls for 1 qt of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 tsp liquid soap. Fortunately I’ve not had to use it but best of luck

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 823 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
That recipe worked on our two dogs... required several applications... and it's best to let them soak a little before rinsing.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1636 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I'm probably alone in feeling this way, but a very faint smell of skunk on a summer night while out driving is actually quite pleasant to me. guess I'm weird.

Only $7.99 at Cabela's.

A little dab behind your ears and on the wrists ...

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
quote:

Hummm...the recipe I have calls for 1 qt of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 tsp liquid soap. Fortunately I’ve not had to use it but best of luck

Mine is similar

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You probably like the smell of embalming fluid as well.
Nope, nope, nope. Formaldehyde is a stench you just can't get rid of. Funny part is, after awhile you don't smell it, but everyone else does.

I had a work study job doing dissections in a gross anatomy lab one semester. We'd go out afterwards to a local watering hole for a few and everyone always gave us a wide berth. Couldn't understand why until one of the beertenders, a really cute young gal named Rachel, pulled me aside and asked me why we smelled like dead people. You should have seen her face when I told her. Big Grin

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
quote:

This works, the soap should be Dawn. I have used it several times and it does the job. I have a Skunk Bucket for our early SD pheasant hunts. It is a Lowes bucket with 1 galloon water, a box of Arm & Hammer, a quart of hydrogen peroxide, and a handheld shower extension that fits over a hose bib. 3 X application will get rid of 99% of the odor. Oh, and don't forget the rubber gloves for you or you won't be able to eat a sandwich for a week.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
had a work study job doing dissections in a gross anatomy lab one semester. We'd go out afterwards to a local watering hole for a few and everyone always gave us a wide berth. Couldn't understand why until one of the beertenders, a really cute young gal named Rachel, pulled me aside and asked me why we smelled like dead people. You should have seen her face when I told her.

Thanks that was funny.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Hummm...the recipe I have calls for 1 qt of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 tsp liquid soap. Fortunately I’ve not had to use it but best of luck[/QUOTE]

+1. I'll add that it seemed to be in my labs pores and skin. As they sweat, more odor comes out and you'll need to repeat as needed over a week or two more.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Skunk-Off.

End of story.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Skunk-Off.

End of story.

Skunk-Off
or
Doggone

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago, a skunk casually strolled across my patio. Followed by 4 skunklets! The kids pack more punch than Mom does.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They still had the funky smell so they got another one today. All 3 actually growled at me when they saw the bucket and brush.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

No, at a large distance, it is okay, almost pleasant. Maybe it just reminds me of summer evenings.

But at spraying range, skunk smell will make your eyes water and you'll gag. It is bad.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post