SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Cessna 172 Skyhawk
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cessna 172 Skyhawk Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I have a good amount of time in the Skyhawk, but the one made by McDonald Douglas, not Cessna. Razz

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6776 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got more than a few hours in a C172 (79 model tail number 739MY) and quite a few more in a 182RG. Both great planes but the 172 flew like a 1978 Ford 150 on a gravel road. Lots of good memories (and a few scary ones) in both.

Posts: 598 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
C172 is a great aircraft, although my favorite Cessna is the 208. Amazing what it's capable of. I've flown some larger planes (C130 and now B737) and some small experimentals but turboprops are my favorite. We're very blessed to have a large general aviation community in the US, we should protect it.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Flew both 152's and 172's years ago. The 172 was better for cross country training, but the 152 was actually more fun to fly.

I miss it. A lot.

I'll agree with this. Most fun I've ever had was an acrobatic lesson in a 152 Aerobat. Absolute blast & the instructor did her best to black me out [and nearly succeeded in a 4.7g (per the G-meter in the dash) loop]
That wasn’t Amelia Reid out of Reid-Hillview airport in San Jose was it? I never had the pleasure of flying with her but heard from multiple folks that she was a pistol!

I don’t disagree with either one of you on 150/152 over 172, but I’d take my first airplane, the Mighty Cessna 140 complete with postage stamp flaps and awesome speedbrakes/alternate rudders (doors) over either one of them. Better for cross country too, at least as long as you goal was building time. Wink

Not likely, it was out of Bergstrom in Austin, 2005 IIRC

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Took my private pilot check ride in a new Cessna Skyhawk..C172 back in 1983. I owned a C152 for 6-7 years and flew it over 500 hours. Both are great training platforms, and both will just barely kill you. The C172 is nicer for instructional purposes with the extra power and more room. But if ya want to fly something that will put an unremovable smile on your face, try a Lear 45. 6-8 thousand foot per minute climb. Yeehaw!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10993 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live near Mercer County Airport and have flown in and out of there many times, used it to stay current. I did not always enjoy that field, had a controler tell me to report left down wind for 34 and as I was working my way in he came back with "714 you'll be a little high for 24" I responded that's because you indicated 34, he proceeded to try and argue which is a big no-no. My dad was a long time FAA guy and told me they often trained controllers there. Also, my job as a service tech took me to the tower working on some IBM equipement when I heard the controller say B-17 you are cleared to land...and I got a close up view of it going by the tower and landing, my dad Flew them in WWII...I also had a service call at the county morgue and got to see a B-24 land and taxi right up top where I was, complete with the engineer sitting behind the canopy on top directing the pilot, like the old days, my dad trained on 24s... I like the 152 more than the 172, its less expensive in most regards and performed sort of equally well when I flew by my self, which was often... When I flew down to the outerbanks there was a corridor just off Norfolk that you could use to get through all the controlled airspace easily so I generally just flew all the way down the coast starting at Delaware... nice trip...

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:

I have a good amount of time in the Skyhawk, but the one made by McDonald Douglas, not Cessna. Razz
Hey everybody, wave to mojojojo as he goes by in his Skyhawk! Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:

I have time in both Skyhawks and enjoyed flying them. Both were pretty good at what they were designed for. But admittedly, one was more fun than the other.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2569 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
One of the best lieutenants I ever had on a big city PD had been a Navy A-4 pilot. He told me of some of his experiences. Fascinating stuff. Said once he left the Navy, he never flew again. I admit I was surprised that a guy with that kind of training, skill and experience never flew again, but I guess life took him in another direction. I never flew professionally, but I can kind of relate. I had just obtained my private when I started in police work. Didn't fly again for many years..

NRA Life

Posts: 1580 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
One of the best lieutenants I ever had on a big city PD had been a Navy A-4 pilot. He told me of some of his experiences. Fascinating stuff. Said once he left the Navy, he never flew again. I admit I was surprised that a guy with that kind of training, skill and experience never flew again, but I guess life took him in another direction. I never flew professionally, but I can kind of relate. I had just obtained my private when I started in police work. Didn't fly again for many years..
My dad was a B-24 pilot in WWII. He didn’t fly after coming back in deference to my Mom who lost her first husband in a midair.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my flight training was done in a C172.
I never did like the C150.

When I was doing my training they were about to change the hours to get a commercial license.

I forget how many more hours I needed quickly, but it worked out that Oklahoma to Bedford MA round trip would give me all the necessary hours.

I took a C172 From Bedford MA to Oklahoma VFR.

On the way out I remember making an unplanned stop for bad weather.

I put down late afternoon and got a ride to a local motel.

A tornado came through that night and took the roof off a nearby barn.

I stopped on the way back to see a friend in Ohio.

I got weathered in for a week, with a stalled front. I had to come back Via Montreal to go around the front.

Soon after I passed my Commercial check rides. This was in 1981

it has been a long while since I flew.

I miss it.

Every decade or so, I find a way to get some seat time, but it is way too long between flights.

Posts: 4784 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I retired from the airline in December 2021 and haven't flown since. I miss the flying and dream about it every night. But I don't miss the job.

Someday I may fly again just for fun. The cost is a deterrent for a retired person!

Posts: 9753 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post