SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Win10 update kills Media Player, Movie Maker
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win10 update kills Media Player, Movie Maker Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Windows 10 updates a couple days ago and now Windows Media Player Classic and Windows Movie Maker don't work.

Running MS trouble shooters, searching there and other places shows either incompatible or not supported. At some point I can't find now, there's a reference to some other MS media product apparently looking for beta testing.

I prefer the WMP Classic, much easier and less bloated. It appears dead in the water now.

The Movie Maker kind of works, kind of doesn't.

I hoping an update or fix shows up, so far nope.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 is pissing me off. Those sons of bitches need to get all their shit in one sock before they try forcing this garbage on us. Last time I update like that. I stuck with 95 until I couldn't, then I stuck with 7 until some chud friend was like, "oh man, Windows 10 is aaaaaamaaaaaaazing! Get it!" And now, if you told me that Best Korea has invaded Texas, and turned the place into a giant brothel, I'd say, "Good." Because that's where that friend lives. Hope you enjoy ass AIDS, Miller!

And that's how I feel about Windows 10 right now.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I have Media Player Classic and it runs fine on my installs of Windows 10. Have you updated your version of MPC since upgrading to windows 10? I'm using version 1.7.8 and the current version is 1.7.11.

https://mpc-hc.org/

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Yes, I tried to put Movie Maker on my new W10 laptop and found they stopped supporting it. I had the Windows Live program file backed on my W7 system and copied it to my new W10 laptop and MM loads and works fine. So if you have the file you can try that. There are several look alikes online that are hard to tell the difference in functionality.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Microsoft is killing support for 8.1 and below on the newest AMD and Intel processors.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend installing VLC as your default media player. It's free and blows the Windows player out of the water.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
running XP Pro and love it

works fine, runs all my programs

I specifically blocked W10 - when Microsoft sends you something for free and tells you to install it, it usually works as much as you paid for it

W10 is a piece of shit software and our company has forbidden its use on any of our machines

my next machine will be a Linux box - and already working on that

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I have Media Player Classic and it runs fine on my installs of Windows 10. Have you updated your version of MPC since upgrading to windows 10? I'm using version 1.7.8 and the current version is 1.7.11.

https://mpc-hc.org/

It's worked fine with Win10 until the update. I reinstalled it from your link, same problem.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need to update your codecs.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I highly recommend installing VLC as your default media player. It's free and blows the Windows player out of the water.

Thanks!! A quick look and it's doing what I want. I'll have to play with it later but yeah, good deal. Smile

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe you need to update your codecs.

I wish I'd captured a screen shot of the page indicating some new MS media product. I have a sneaking suspicion this is where my problem lies. Paranoid? Oh yeah, this is Microsoft I'm talking about. Mad

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Try going back to a restore point when it was working. Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Well, like I said, it's working for me and I have the latest patches from Microsoft as of this Tuesday. You want to blame Microsoft but since it's working for me, I can't agree that it's their fault.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, like I said, it's working for me and I have the latest patches from Microsoft as of this Tuesday. You want to blame Microsoft but since it's working for me, I can't agree that it's their fault.

My update was Friday. Both programs are Microsoft products on an MS OS. At the the MS site, the apps are shown to be either incompatible or not supported. With several versions of Win10, immediate answers are harder to ferret out but something's not right with my Win10 and my MS apps.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Media Player Classic is not a Microsoft product.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

But it was, no? I don't remember all I've had to do over the years to keep it my primary viewing app, MS's later media players haven't played well with others.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Microsoft support for 8.1 is such that it is intended to drive users to 10.

My son's gaming machine ran 8.1 but with every patch the internet connection broke causing an "invalid IP address message." Had to keep rolling back to an earlier verson to get back on the internet. Got to a point where I couldn't roll back far enough to avoid whatever "fix" it was that broke the connection. I had to upgrade to 10.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

But it was, no? I don't remember all I've had to do over the years to keep it my primary viewing app, MS's later media players haven't played well with others.

No, it was independent project designed to provide the look and feel of the MS program. It is open source now but started out as closed source by the original developer.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
^^^What he said.^^^

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

Nope. Windows Media Player is a Microsoft product. Media Player Classic is not.

That said, VLC rocks.

Reading these threads are always hilarious. "my company has forbidden the use of windows 10 on any of our machines" I hope you and your company enjoy living in the stone ages.

"Microsoft is killing support for 8.1 and below on the newest AMD and Intel processors" Uhh, maybe because 7 is already end of life, and Windows 8 will be in less than a year? Why would they continue to develop for OSes they've already declared dead? Confused

10 offers SIGNIFICANT advancements over previous versions - all of them.

Is it different? Absolutely. This is where the majority of your problems lie. I get it, it's human nature to resist change. I resisted at first, too. My company machine is still Win 7. But after using 10 for over a year on my Surface Pro, I can say with certainty that it's faster and more stable.

In terms of manageability from an enterprise standpoint, 10 is also much better, and much more secure, than it's predecessors. The ability to use Bitlocker with Network Unlock (supposedly available beginning with 8 - though it worked like crap) is simply amazing. I have several law enforcement customers that use Bitlocker on their systems, and it works a treat. When the machines are connected to the internal network, they just boot right up, and the encryption is completely transparent to the end user. When the machine leaves the corporate network, TPM prompts them for their PIN to decrypt the drive before use. The available group policies are excellent for management, everything about it.

The interface? Meh. I could take it or leave it. But functionally, it is a superior product in every way.

For the record, new releases and updates to ANY operating system cause issues with applications that run on it. I've already had to update my Android app several times to address issues with Android OS releases. It's the way things work. Your gripe about the media player shouldn't be with Microsoft, it should be with the developer of the software package for not keeping up with the times and releasing a new version that properly implements the features they are trying to sell.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post