SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Family members and politics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family members and politics Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Have any of you ever excommunicated a family member over politics? My sister in law is just a little left of Karl Marx and is slowly poisoning the mind of my brother. I recently was accused of being an alt right white supremacist sympathizer by that little bitch for laughing at her idiotic politics and supporting our president.

She is dead to me and I'm wondering if eventually the same thing will happen with my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Exommunicate? You must be Catholic.

I just don't call them anymore, whatever that's called. Wink

And I hope your brother has a prenup.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
We have excommunicated my step-cousin, but that's about it. She doesn't know it though. She's a huge liberal with a masters in journalism.

I killed my fake-book account before the primaries two years ago. I didn't want to have to hate all my friends or family. I know I have other extreme liberal family members but I just avoid talking politics with them. My immediate family are all conservatives.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5526 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I just don't call them anymore, whatever that's called. Wink
You used to communicate. If you don't call them any more, you no longer communicate. Therefore, ex-communicate. See? Wasn't that easy? Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have always tried to get along with family members, including not mentioning political topics when in the company of simpletons. But when simpletons start shit with me, I write them off. I have a crackpot sister in law, who with her insane "life partner" have repeatedly baited me into a response, then called me a bully (and worse) for calmly disputing their opinions. If they are attending a family event, I won't.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Same here, SIL turned my brother into a non thinking dem. Believes CNN BS, and how HRC should have won, got tired of arguing about it, and told he thought I was smarter than to vote for Trump. I just quit talking to them not worth the effort.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
If my clan even notices such as they no longer get emails/txt/phone calls from me, they have the option to remedy it. If ~my~ phone don't ring, it already probably is them.....and we don't communicate over many other matters than politics.

Years ago I instituted a '2-way road' policy. Some didn't notice, some ignored the message, and a precious few reach out in their own way.

So yes, there are those who have fallen off my 'A' list.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
My sister in law is just a little left of Karl Marx

She'd get along well with my sister who is a full-on communist. The good thing is is she knows it and she knows that the rest of us aren't, so she is usually really good about tempering herself in our presence. Alcohol, though, is her weakness. Get even one glass of wine into her and she turns militant commie right before your eyes.

I just walk away.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I don't talk politics with family.

The one exception is they, after repeated reminders, warnings, and every other possible deflection... they refuse.

If you care about family... just enjoy the common ground and enjoy the company.

Once upon a time, when I was much younger.... I was the token college liberal.... I changed a lot in those 17 years.... but I am glad they didn't give up on me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Haven't had to drop the hammer on family yet. A few friends and acquaintances, yes.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't talk politics with family.

This.

I belong to a family of Liberal NY Jews. No way I'm discussing politics after living in a Free State for almost 30 years...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They mind their own business and I do the same.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Spend some time in Utah. The Mormons do that too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Excommunicate? No. I am polite, but don't have much to say to them beyond greetings. I keep it superficial. When they begin talking politics, I abruptly change the subject or excuse myself to another activity.

My brother married into an emotive family. He used to be conservative, but with his mind plugged into blue pill media and his soft headed IT coworkers all day for ten years, he has been re-educated. He was a Bernie guy.

When he began promoting Bernie's platitudes and dreamy goals, I countered with true principles. Por ejemplo: Free medical care for everyone!
DF: Sounds nice. How do we pay for it?
Knucklehead: Doesn't matter. It's a right.
DF: Not if it comes from the fruits of another's labor.
Knucklehead: But people really need it!
DF: So if I really need what you provide I can just take it?
KH: No.
DF: But you can take from others? Tell me about free and equal vs slavery.
KH: *Emotive outburst*

He and I don't talk politics much because he cannot win. I use the Socratic method based in true principle. Only the mentally ill cannot understand it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post