SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everyone keeps telling me I'll regret getting dentures
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyone keeps telling me I'll regret getting dentures Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I was born with bad teeth and not enough of them. I suppose I was lucky to not have to deal with any wisdom teeth. I had two baby teeth until I was 45 and having them removed has really sucked. I can't chew using my molars so I'm always using my bicuspids and incisors. I asked the dentist if I should just have them all removed and get dentures but he tells me I'd regret it. I get the same story from older folks, too. However, I have a feeling that I'm going to regret not doing it sooner.

Anyone have dentures and hate them? Anyone have them and wish they would have got them sooner?

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Not a dentist, but I believe the issue may be the duration of remaining life without OEM teeth vs. the actual immediate performance of the fake choppers?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 5 aunts and uncles with them and mom and dad.

They said that life was very much better with ,than w/o.

It seems ,as time goes by people don't want to do anything that might want to require doing a tiny bit extra.

case in point:
C pap gizmo's , All the extra hassle is no where near worth it for me , screw that ,
If I "go" tomorrow , I will have died fortunate and happy , considering.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My grandpa has had them for decades and he's almost 80 now. He is getting implants which are supposed to be far superior.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Implants if you can afford them is the way to go.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Implants are better, but they are considerably more expensive.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I just had to choose between an implant and a cantilevered bridge. The bridge cost about a third of what an implant and a couple crowns would. Beyond price, an implant can take up to a year to be usable. Depending on age, you might not want to lose that year. But yeah, implants are the best option otherwise.

My only experience with dentures is my uncle. He had terrible teeth problems as a young guy, had them pulled and got dentures. He's 95 now and has no regrets going that way, he eats whatever he wants.

**edit** As I think about it, the cost would be well over double, not three x. At my age, the loss of time was a bigger factor.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8564 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traditional dentures should be considered the last (and worst) option. The ridge of bone that supports your teeth will begin to resorb as soon as the teeth are removed. As time goes on, there is less and less to keep the denture from sliding around. If you are only talking about replacing a few missing teeth, implants are far superior.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I just had to choose between an implant and a cantilevered bridge. The bridge cost about a third of what an implant and a couple crowns would. Beyond price, an implant can take up to a year to be usable. Depending on age, you might not want to lose that year. But yeah, implants are the best option otherwise.

My only experience with dentures is my uncle. He had terrible teeth problems as a young guy, had them pulled and got dentures. He's 95 now and has no regrets going that way, he eats whatever he wants.

**edit** As I think about it, the cost would be well over double, not three x. At my age, the loss of time was a bigger factor.

I went with an implant for last molar. It did take time. Pull tooth, wait for heal, install implant base wait, install tooth on implant base. Interesting thing they had a small torque wrench they used to tighten implant into bone. I don't remember exactly but I believe it was over 9 months.

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and warnings. I appreciate it.

I may have to get a couple of bridges so that I can chew in the back again.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Interesting thing they had a small torque wrench they used to tighten implant into bone. I don't remember exactly but I believe it was over 9 months.

That was the tiniest torque wrench I've ever seen. They also use a miniature slide hammer for lifting crowns.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Implants. Best investment you can make on yourself. Just don’t fall for the “one time visit” procedure. Done right will take time.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two stories about dentures.
My father (who had a good set of teeth), had them all pulled and got dentures at 54. He hated maintenance and didn't want to deal with teeth issues or dentists into old age. He never regretted it.
My son, who tends to not listen to his parents, ignored dentists and basic teeth/gum maintenance throughout his formative years. By the time he hit 25 he had already had 9 teeth pulled. A couple of years ago, he seemed to have some mouth pain and agreed to go to the dentist for a checkup. The dentist took some X-rays and gathered us for a meeting. He told me that my son had 3 good teeth, 3 dead teeth and the rest needed major work. We all agreed that pulling them and getting dentures would be the best move.
With pulling teeth and getting fitted for two sets of dentures (a temporary and permanent set), and an approximately one year process, I can tell you that it has changed his life.
He no longer is embarassed to meet people or has insecurity issues. A huge difference.

Posts: 161 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your son had a tough choice to make, but cases like your dad's are kind of silly. It's like amputating your legs because you don't want to cut your toenails.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad was one tough SOB. I still don't pretend to understand him. I loved him, and I miss him, but we didn't see eye to eye. I'm 55 now, and my teeth are staying right where they are as long as I can keep them there.

Posts: 161 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to need possibly 2-3 implants fairly soon. There is no way that I want another bridge, or dentures. Eating, pain free,and what I want, is one of the best things in life these days. Expensive....yes, but so are guns and ammo!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I just had an implant done. 4 months for healing after removing the remnants of the OEM (love that...) tooth and inserting the base. Then another month after having casts taken waiting for the crown to be ready.

ZERO issues. Not cheap, but worth every penny IMHO. In fact, I'm missing the same tooth on the other side and had x-rays done to see if there's bone enough to do an implant there. There is, I'm gonna go for it in the Spring assuming I can save up the cash over the Winter.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two words: bone resorption.

Your bone needs forces against it - in this case teeth / implants.

Permanently removing them - basically tells the underlying bone 'hey we don't need you anymore' and it starts to resorb vs. the natural regeneration that should be occurring.

(I am not a dentist but work in this field)

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I got full dentures about 10 years ago and am perfectly happy with them. Between hockey and football I only had a few real teeth left and they were being problem teeth so they were pulled and full dentures in their place. They don't fit as good as they did when I first got them but I don't have any problem eating anything I want. The dentist told me I might have issues with fit when (if) I see 80 but I figure my teeth won't be my biggest problem if I see 80. I'm sure implants are far superior but they're also far more expensive.

My dad and father in law wore dentures for over 40 years and both told me they ate whatever they wanted.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Two words: bone resorption.

Your bone needs forces against it - in this case teeth / implants.

Permanently removing them - basically tells the underlying bone 'hey we don't need you anymore' and it starts to resorb vs. the natural regeneration that should be occurring.

(I am not a dentist but work in this field)

---------------------------------------------

Wolff’s Law

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post