SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    White Pocket / Peekaboo Canyon (near Kanab) - worth a visit?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Pocket / Peekaboo Canyon (near Kanab) - worth a visit? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Agree completely.

And FYI for others: I took Skutumpah in its entirety. There is a troublesome spot now - ranger was there guiding folks since the spot seems newly challenging and many people were getting stuck. We were advised to walk the spot and decide if we wanted to risk it. He was turning away vehicles that weren’t 4wd, high clearance with aggressive tread.

We came to a rough spot, assessed it and got through ok. And one more spot. Turns out neither was the rough spot the ranger was warning about.

I got to the spot he was talking about and it gave me serious pause. Pretty deep pits and ruts with deep powder sand on a petty step incline as you round a bend. Easy to see vehicles getting stuck in the sand or high centered. At least it seemed very bad to me. Several vehicles came and turned around. But then a few made it. The ranger said you need a capable vehicle and skill to get through. I thought my car was similarly capable as the vehicles that made it. Although an Outback didn’t go through (awd like mine). I decided to take a chance. I thank the lord for helping me make it through. This time, it was definitely worth trying.

If my truck can get through that when I don’t have any skills, I’m thinking it’ll get me through some interesting situations when I finally have some skills.

I’m probably exaggerating and embellishing a little because as a novice, it seemed like a good chance I wasn’t going to make it. But I applied all the tips and powered through. It’s nice a ranger was out there warning folks.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
It was fun getting together with you and your wife. I was impressed with how well the Lexus did, that was not an easy 8 mile R/T. At the trailhead is a sign that says "No 2WD or AWD - High clearance 4WD Only". I hadn't been there in 12 or 13 years, it's the same slot but tour vehicles everywhere.

Our group:

In the slot:

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
UTsig, it was truly a pleasure meeting you, mrs utsig and your friends. And including the four legged ones. Smile I was very fortunate to have joined one of your outings, including the fantastic breakfast - it was the best I had the whole trip. By far and no joke. Amazing company, amazing excursion and learned a lot. Please thank your friend for paving the way - both in how to drive through the sand and through the myriad of trail branch offs.

We enjoyed the slots much more than we imagined we would. Thank you kind sir.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post