SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you believe felons “pay their debt to society”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you believe felons “pay their debt to society” Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Did Randy Weaver pay his debt to society?

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I voted "no" all the while acknowledging that there are sometimes exceptions to rules. But, like I always say:

"An exception to a rule doesn't negate the rule. That's why it's called an exception."

But, generally speaking, no - no way in Hell does the criminal pay his debt to society.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10710 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, we have stupid felonies, especially federal ones, such as "defacing currency" etc.

In large part, I think prison doesn't have a high enough "misery" index, for a large part of the populace.

Some people are just broken, and cannot be part of society.

Others, I think enough hard labor/public shaming/canings, etc might dissuade from engaging in a career of crime.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Some do. Others don't. So, the answer is both yes and no.

Agree. Depends on the person.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i believe there has been some 'felony inflation' over the years

i don't get as worked up over non-violent crimes esp. if they are 'one offs' by the perpetrator

violent and egregious offenses? bury them under the jail

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Here's a story from my little town newspaper. This repeat offender is a dangerous bad dog and should be put down.
Armed robbery. Goes to prison. Multiple fighting incidences in prison. Released and robs the same place again.
JOHN MORRISSEY
A Marion man was arrested by Kenton police officers on Monday night in connection with the armed robbery of the Village Pantry in Kenton early Sunday morning.

According to a press release from Chief Dennis Musser, John Morrissey, 30, is being held in the Multi-County Jail in Marion on a parole violation. Further charges, including aggravated robbery, are pending, the chief said.

Musser told the Times he could not disclose the weapon used or the amount of money taken in the robbery, which occurred at approximately 2:36 a.m.

Officers arrested Morrissey at a home in Kenton on Monday, the chief said.

Morrissey is no stranger to law enforcement officers in the county.

Court records indicate he had been released from prison in October on a term from a 2012 aggravated robbery of Jump ‘N Jim’s gas station in Kenton. The court records show Morrissey and two other men pulled a knife on the workers and customers at the business and got away with $211.

Convicted of aggravated robbery, tampering with evidence and aggravated menacing, Judge Scott Barrett sent Morrissey to prison for nine years. Several times while incarcerated, Morrissey filed motions for judicial release.

In one of the responses to the motions, Prosecutor Brad Bailey noted that while in prison the inmate had been punished for numerous infractions including fighting. In all, Morrissey was found to be in violation of disciplinary actions 29 times while behind bars.

He was released in October after having served his time for the felony convictions.
http://www.kentontimes.com/loc...ery-of-kenton-store/

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No. Not in our penal system.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in bendable's penal system
there is a line , twice a month for the pedophiles, lifers, molesters, rapists, murderers and such

In ! to ! The ! Volcano !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Some do. Others don't. So, the answer is both yes and no.

Agree. This is not a one answer fits all kind of question.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I once knew, briefly, a man nicknamed Bob the Murderer, because his name was Bob, and he'd actually murdered a young man of around 20 y/o.

In front of about fifteen witnesses, one of whom was a police officer.

He was a good man before that, and had never had any contact with the law - of any kind - not even a parking ticket. Had a good job, lovely wife and a son he was just so proud of, aged 14 or 15.

Trouble was, the son had gone to a party, where there were drugs being passed around, and his son got a few freebies from the local dealer. One of them was bad, and it killed him inside five minutes.

Someone called up his parents and told them their son was dead, and to come over right away. The dad, Bob, did just that, and very quickly found out who had given him the stuff - he was the whiny little sh*t standing outside the apartment blaming his supplier, trying to explain it all away to a police officer. Brushing the police officer to one side [Bob was BIG] he picked him up and heaved him over the balcony - the ground was fifteen floors down.

He got life, but after sixteen years it was reduced when he got terminal cancer, and got let out to spend his last few weeks with his Mrs.

He never apologised for his crime, that many thought was a bit of rough justice that had been owed.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
He never apologized for his crime
Nor should he.

And the "whiny little sh*t" had a few seconds to contemplate what he did wrong.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
He never apologized for his crime
Nor should he.

And the "whiny little sh*t" had a few seconds to contemplate what he did wrong.
IMO, the "supplier" should have gotten the same treatment. I'm surprised they could find a jury to convict him.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
short answer is no

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a county jail as a deputy sheriff. I see the same people over and over. They are often committed to life on their own terms, and to hell with everyone else. Lots of drug charges, assaults, burglaries, the occasional murder.

The little felonies, like hot checks? Yeah, those folks usually clean up their act, and I never see them again. The more serious stuff, it's like a revolving door. I've personally taken several people to prison, more than five times each.

Plea deals, short sentences, and such equals no motivation to change their ways.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to add that in most cases, convicts in my state's prison system are currently having every two days of time served count as twenty-eight. Doesn't seem like much punishment, does it?

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
In many places, someone convicted of a felony crime involving bribery or another corruption related crime is banned from running for or assuming any elected or appointed public office. Doing "X" number of months in prison, successfully passing probation or parole, or paying "X" amount of fines, doesn't change the fact that the act itself demonstrated the true nature of the offender. He/she shouldn't be allowed the opportunity to victimize the electorate again, even IF sufficient numbers of voters try to place him in office. If he/she receives a commutation or pardon based on the totality of evidence, then this can change, but as a matter of routine??? No way!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
No. If the punishment was severe enough we would not have this much crime. Fuck the criminal bastards and bitches.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9368 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Here is a perfect example, is her debt paid after 17 years?

murderer

HOUSTON — A Houston woman at the center of a case that made national headlines is now out on parole. Susan Wright brutally killed her husband, Jeff Wright, in 2003.
Susan Wright was granted parole several months ago, but was just released at around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday from the Murray Unit in Gatesville, Texas.

She had said she was abused, which is why she killed her husband. She tied him to their bed and stabbed him nearly 200 times, then buried his body in a hole he had dug in the back yard.
Ultimately, a jury convicted her of murder and sentenced her to 25 years in prison, a sentence that would later be reduced to 20 years in a 2010 re-sentencing.
In the original trial in 2004, Assistant District Attorney Kelly Siegler had the couple’s actual bed into the courtroom to re-enact the crime for jurors. She had an assistant lie down on the bed, and she straddled him to show how Susan Wright continually stabbed him while he was tied up.

Prosecutors contended at her 2004 trial that Wright killed her
husband because she wanted benefits from his $200,000 life
insurance policy and didn't want a divorce.
The new sentencing hearing in 2010 came after a judge ruled she didn’t get adequate representation during the punishment phase of her original trial.
As part of her parole, she has to continue to check in until 2024. She will be under the Super-Intensive Supervision Program.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
No, it's a flawed system. We need to go from a punitive to a system that reimburses the victim.

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was not unusual for me to stop someone for a traffic violation and on their record was a Vehicular Homicide charge.
And their license was valid.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post