SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US forces ambushed in Niger, officials say
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US forces ambushed in Niger, officials say Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
A squad of U.S. Special Operations troops have been ambushed in the west African country of Niger, U.S. officials told Fox News Wednesday.

U.S. Africa Command confirmed that a joint patrol of U.S. and Nigerien soliders came under fire in the southwestern part of the country, near the border with Mali. The statement did not mention any casualties, but officials are concerned there may be fatalities.

The officials told Fox News that between eight and 10 troops were part of the patrol.

The U.S. military set up a drone base in Niger in 2013 and has an advisory role in the country as part of anti-terror efforts in West Africa. The landlocked country, a former French colony, is one of the poorest nations in the world.

Niger shares a border with Nigeria, where Boko Haram controls part of the country. Al Qaeda in the Islamic Mahgreb is also active in the region.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...r-officials-say.html

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's quite a bit of activity going on in that part of the world. Friend of mine just got back fulfilling a comms contract at an airport near there. He didn't go into details but basically said there's a revolving door of SOF guys and an alphabet soup of agencies going in/out. Some black but, most of it open-source available should anyone do any digging, it's all apart of the low-intensity operations trying to nip-Islamic terrorism before it becomes fully bloomed while keeping an eye on all the Chinese activity going on in AFRCOM.

This has a bit more
http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...near-the-mali-border

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man this is so fucked up. One of the soldiers killed is the son of a close friend of ours. I was texting with her when she got the news. He leaves behind a wife and kids. He was an SF medic and that was his dream. Horrible news.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
AP is reporting three Green Berets killed, two wounded. Likely attacker AL Qaida

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:
Man this is so fucked up. One of the soldiers killed is the son of a close friend of ours. I was texting with her when she got the news. He leaves behind a wife and kids. He was an SF medic and that was his dream. Horrible news.

Terrible. Condolences to his family. Hopefully they collect their vengeance, tenfold.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Damn, damn!

We lose more!!!!

Prayers, and tears, for the family members of those lost. Not to mention for the surviving team members.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see this in the news. As usual, lots of stuff going on almost under the radar.

Prayers & thoughts to family and friends.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:

My condolences to the family and friends. Frown

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Shit.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Mad Frown

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5564 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like French SOF with their air support helped save the day. For those unaware, the French are militarily, heavily involved in this region, as one of the few militaries able to conduct force projection, France doesn't get a lot of credit.

https://sofrep.com/91147/frenc...ench-soldier-killed/

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
France doesn’t get a lot of credit but they have a SOF command that is kick ass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...ions_Command_(France)

Great Movie on them is Forces Speciales very well done.

Posts: 2837 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
There's quite a bit of activity going on in that part of the world.

Has been for well over a decade.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a family member serving in and out of that area.

He stated since DJT came in the direct action missions have increased dramatically both in number and effectiveness.

I'll leave it at that.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now reporting, there's a fourth solider, who's remains were recovered from the ambush site, separate from the initial contact area.

https://sofrep.com/91218/body-u-s-soldier-missing-action-48-hours-found-niger/

quote:
So fierce was the attack that the Green Beret team was split into two and separated from one another amidst the ambush. One group of six split from the main assault and from what was explained to SOFREP, began moving themselves out of the kill box to possibly gain a more advantageous flanking position on the enemy in order to engage them. The other portion of the team was trapped inside the ambush and would fight their aggressors until the end, resulting in three U.S. Special Forces soldiers dead with two more wounded and reportedly eight Nigeriens dead or injured.

The other split element never linked back up with the other Americans after the French helicoptered in troops to assist the Green Berets and were considered missing in action after attempting to raise them over the radio. Five of the soldiers were found and accounted for, all except one, the young soldier who DoD has just announced dead today. He had been missing in action for 48 hours and was a mechanic assigned the the Green Beret team who was also driving one of the vehicles reportedly coming back from a joint direct action raid.

posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to hear who the meeting was with and if they were complicit is giving away time/date of the meeting or, who in their inner circle gave up the time/date.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/06/...er-ambush/index.html
Naturally, the CNN 'reporter' had to get a Trump dig into her report.

quote:
Johnson's group was attacked near the Niger-Mali border by up to 50 fighters thought to be affiliated with ISIS, a US official said.
The 12-member US team was leaving a meeting in unarmored pick-up trucks when they began taking fire from small arms, machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades, according to a US defense official.

With window glass exploding all around them, the service members, including multiple Army Special Forces soldiers, exited the vehicles, ran for cover, and began returning fire, killing some of the attacking militants.

Elite US special operations forces troops were flown in from the continental US to aid in the recovery effort. US Navy SEALs were deployed to a US military base in Sigonella, Sicily, in anticipation of a possible rescue attempt, but never went into Niger.

"We had everything, jets, rotary wings, (Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance), various platforms, human intelligence, signals intelligence, you name it," US Army Col. Mark Cheadle, a spokesman for Africa Command told reporters at the Pentagon Friday via a phone call. "There was a full-court press by all of (the Department of Defense), the Nigerien government, the Department of State and the French to help us recover our lost one."

You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
My deepest sympathies to the families of these brave men.

And may we rain hell down on the bastards who did this.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
God bless and be with them all. I can’t imagine.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
My deepest sympathies to the families of these brave men.

And may we rain hell down on the bastards who did this.

The calm before the storm...

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Condolences to the families of the troopers that lost their lives.

France has been kicking as there for a while. Search for Operation Serval and Operation Barkhane.

quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
France doesn’t get a lot of credit but they have a SOF command that is kick ass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...ions_Command_(France)

Great Movie on them is Forces Speciales very well done.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post