SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellowstone trip in late May
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellowstone trip in late May Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
If you drink, do not try to ride or get on a buffalo.

One of my best friends was a doc at the local hospital. They had more drunk folks get gored that anyone else.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nail down your hotels. It is not like driving to Florida where every exit has gas,hotels, and food. I forget how long we had to drive to find something. Jackson Hole was booked. Ate at a gas station and was thankful. Local hotel was booked (road construction) so more driving in the dark.
Was told that Buffalo eyes do not reflect headlights and at dark they like the pavement heat. Drove many miles after dark seeing signs "cattle not fenced in".
Made it alive and it was a great trip

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I live just 2-3 hours away...ain't never goin back to Yellowstone Park. Awesome scenery, the log jam of idiot Bison bait and their cars stopping traffic is out of control. May will be chilly in the morning and evening, a jacket and head gear is a good idea to wear over your street duds.

So many awesome sights and hiking in the region, and outside of the bus loads of "I think this is a zoo" crowd.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above, the cookout, either by horseback or wagon out of Tower-Roosevelt was good. Lake Yellowstone charter fishing was great too. Watching Old Faithful from the sun deck of Old Faithful Inn is very cool.
Will reinforce: 1. all large animals will get on the roads after dark. 2. Don't plan on a late dinner, as everything closes early, stores too. Take food with you in case.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Visit the Western Plains museum in Cody. You can spend two days there if you take your time. Stop in Thermopolis on the way and visit the hot springs there. You have a choice of 3 places there. They also have a dinosaur museum as well. I would not expect everything to be open in the park due to much of the snow not being gone yet. That's what we experienced on our early June visit. Have fun.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10912 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I am also contemplating a trip there, my first, in July. I would be driving in from Ky, so I'll be following this thread!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2500 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
Make sure you stop at the Irma in Cody and get dinner one night.

Also, since this is a gun forum, you really should go through the Cody Firearms Museum. It's so freakin' awesome.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You may find Day 8 through Day 14 of this 2009 tour interesting: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622664139564/.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Visit the Western Plains museum in Cody. You can spend two days there if you take your time. Stop in Thermopolis on the way and visit the hot springs there. You have a choice of 3 places there. They also have a dinosaur museum as well. I would not expect everything to be open in the park due to much of the snow not being gone yet. That's what we experienced on our early June visit. Have fun.

This for sure. The snowfall this year has been on the high side so I think you will see a lot of closures in May. We went in June 7 years ago and there was a number of roads closed. Here is an interactive map showing new snowfall and current snow depths in Yellowstone.

http://weatherstreet.com/city_...ne-MT-snow-depth.htm

That last trip there will be our last. Too many dumb idiot and clueless city dwellers that ruined the experience.

Spend at least 2 days in Cody. You won't regret it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just remember , you are going in too someone else's back yard.

act like you would want people to act in your back yard , you'll be fine

talk to the park rangers , ask them stuff, they are the there all the time , they know whats going on at what time and where.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Go out the north entrance and drive the Beartooth Highway. Unforgettable!

RMD

Beartooth Highway usually doesn't open until Memorial Day and can close temporarily if there is a snow or ice storm after the initial opening. That happen to us in 2006 but we were able to drive to the NE entrance via Cooke City-Silver Gate and then drop into the Lamar Valley the first day it reopened.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3468 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Some of you headed up there may find this helpful. 2019 Best of Jackson Hole

Winners

Posts: 13305 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Are you members of AAA or know someone that is? Get their tour books - they have a lot of info. I'd also get maps.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4888 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post