SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thread about being alone for Christmas inspired this post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thread about being alone for Christmas inspired this post Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
My health isn't the best so traveling a couple thousand miles back East to be with family (94 yo parents and baby sister and her family) hasn't been in the cards in recent years. And my sons were not able to be here with me this year, so yeah Christmas alone.

But I have some great neighbors. One from next door dropped off a huge grocery bag filled with all the fixings they had for their family Christmas meal. The almost 4" thick slab of prime rib was way over the top. They had used their green egg outside in the cold to do up a couple a good sized roasts from what they told me. These are the same folks who help me by putting out my trash bin on collection day and bringing my mail to my door. They are truly appreciated. Big Grin

As an aside they are seemingly forever lauding me for what I did for their careers in years past, hiring one, and recommending / advocating for both subsequently. They earned the opportunities and accolades. Much of this before they moved in next door unaware of where I lived. That was an interesting episode of discovery. LOL

And then a good friend just over the rise behind my house called to say a freshly baked loaf of pumpkin-walnut bread would be delivered tomorrow. Smile

So alone, yes, but not forgotten. I am blessed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16515 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
That is awesome and what Christmas is all about. Merry Christmas to you!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8009 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas! May your health improve, and you get the opportunity to see those boys of yours soon. Sounds like you have some wonderful neighbors- extended family, so to speak Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5498 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas bald1. You’ll always have SigForum!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas. You live in a great place.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13489 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife suggested we invite our next door neighbour on one side. Single guy from a foreign country. I really didn't feel like having guests over, yesterday, so I demurred. Late in the evening I felt selfish and regretted it Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Late in the evening I felt selfish and regretted it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I forgive you. Do something kind for someone else. Your instincts may have been correct.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Merry Xmas, my friend

You've got plenty of friends, even this far south of the Rio Grande Wink

You will never be alone, just a little distracted, maybe.
We got you covered. ALWAYS.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12264 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

My wife suggested we invite our next door neighbour on one side. Single guy from a foreign country.
Just a bit off topic -- the traditional dinner that marks the start of Passover (right around Easter, dates vary a bit due to drift between the Hebrew calendar and the Gregorian calendar), is the Seder.

We (Jews) are supposed to invite a stranger to the Seder.

I was the invited stranger when I was stationed at Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in Puerto Rico.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
bald1, it is indeed a blessing to have neighbors who care and offer assistance. I'm sure you find ways within your means to reciprocate.

I pray that your health will improve soon and you will be able to meet with your family again. Until then there are phones and e-mail.

We here at SF are always willing to read and answer, so don't hesitate to involve us.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the well wishes. Truly appreciated!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16515 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
she went to her kin, the dog and I stayed here,
be the same thing tomorrow .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55173 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post