SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update last post: Doggie dementia question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update last post: Doggie dementia question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So my girl is 14 now is she showing signs of the sundowners syndrome a bit.

Her health has been great. She eats, plays with my other dog. Can go for shorter walks. 1/2 mile or more.
Loves me like there is no tomorrow. Has every since I brought here home from a shelter 12 years ago. Loyal as all get it. I can only lover her a fraction of the love she has for me. No matter how hard I try. She has been the best dog. She is an Australian Cattle dog.

Now at night she does not want to sleep. I am sure she is confused and maybe a bit scared. The vet agrees it is some dementia. She gave us some suggestions on some supplements like DHA, maybe a pure form of previgin. We are looking into it. Just wondering if any of you have had to deal with something similar.

Thanks for the help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
My vet recommended melatonin for our 13 year old dog showing signs of dementia. He has been on it about a year. He definitely sleeps better and seems alert more than before.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 year old cattle dog too that’s starting to show her age. Mine doesn’t seem to have dementia at this point, just a few other age related issues.
Years ago we had another dog that had what the vet thought was dementia. She would casually wander around the house during the daytime. She didn't seem to have any other problems and lived several more years but continued the wandering.

Posts: 9533 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Following this thread. Our 14 year old Lab is doing a lot of walking around the house at night and waking Mrs. 'Hook up. Wants to be let out, stands around the yard, then wants back in. Happens 5 or 6 times a night. She's still just as food-motivated as she's always been though.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 year old Shiba Inu that has the beginnings of dementia, not serious yet.

In a Shiba oriented internet group I am in, owners with dogs suffering from this recommend CBD supplements.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY. I posted about this issue with our Belgian Malinois last year and got some great guidance from the members. He was diagnosed with Dementia by our Vet.

His symptoms are constant panting and at night he will bed down and then maybe an hour later he is up, pacing the room, panting, it's like he was afraid of the dark. It is absolutely like he has reverted to a puppy, looking for the wife and pacing to find her, or just afraid of the dark. Wife would lay on the floor with him and try to get him to sleep and then get back in bed. It progressed to him pooping and not even knowing he was doing it. i.e., laying there asleep on the floor and a nice smelly poop log at his tail.

We put him on Acepromazine, a tranquilizer, which has been a tremendous help to keep him asleep better through the nite. He gets it about 2 hours before OUR bedtime and by then he is pretty much out for the night. this helps ALOT but he can still be a pill at night.

Another thing to watch for is the digestive track. Some things there also change with age. He has had diarrhea issues and put on antibiotics to clear them up. There really is some correlation to the antibiotics as they appear to help him rest and control the constant panting issue.

Hope this helps

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1379 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys and gals. We started her on a DHA supplement from Walgreens this morning per our vet. Will see if it helps.

The vet was not hot on the idea of drugs to help her sleep. She said it will cause other issue's. Wanted us to try these supplements as they have a track record of helping.

Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
My GSD is on Prozac and Vet Classics - Anxiety & Stress Calming Support. It contains Melatonin Chamomile, Ginkgo biloba and Passion flower.it seems to help 9/10 nights

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3810 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
A Lot of 14 year old dogs in this thread. I have one, too and Barney is slowing down but still does ok. Seldom makes it through the night w/out wanting out and then often he just sits and looks. We brought a puppy in a couple years ago and I think the young dog keeps Barney from declining as fast.

When we got Barney as a 12 wk old puppy we had a 14 yr old tiny toy poodle who was fading. Barney caused the old dog to perk up and he had a couple more good years before his heart gave out.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
This thread hits close to home. My 13 year old yellow lab Lily will often want to go out in the middle of the night and then just stand there in the yard. Other than that she's doing pretty well and still loves to go for short walks with me. After reading the posts here I am going to look in to supplements.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
We have a 14 year old Nofolk Terrier which we rescued when he was 1. He has symptoms of sundowners syndrome and our vet prescribed CDB oil. He gets a couple drops before bed time and it works. He would pant and get up off the bed in the middle of the night. Now rarely does either.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have two Border Collies. One 14, still pretty good, other just a pup.

Suggestion if possible - ours sleep in the basement on dedicated beds. We leave a stairway light on for them all night, ever night. It is a sight they are familiar with. If/when they wake up they always see the same thing. Figure they are comforted with the sight.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Our 11 year old Boston Terrier has cataracts. One eye is bad and second eye is starting to show signs.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Cognative Dysfunction Syndrome , or “doggie Alzheimer’s “ has been recognized for many years now and can be truely heartbreaking. It often leads to euthanasia if we can’t not manage the signs. There are many things that have been used over the years, some with data, many with out. The drug that many have tried with some success originally is called Anapryl. You can ask your vet about it. I am not a huge fan of acepromazine- yes the tranq effect is nice short term, but the dog often develops a tolerance and it is just masking the signs, not treating anything.
The pathophysiology of CDS is thought to be related to plaque deposition secondary to oxidative damage in the brain, so treatment with antioxidant and anti inflammatorys is recommended ( the DHA is a good start) Purina’s NeuroCare diet, and Hill’s b/d diet are two slightly different takes on a diet packed with these AO’s and AI’s. Both have data to support they can help, and you gotta feed em anyway so give these a month or two and see if it helps.
There are a number of supplement marketed with little research that may help and likely won’t hurt - SeniLife, NuTriks, Denemarin etc. Your results may vary.
Google “ canine CDS Ohio state university CVM” if you want more info.
Good luck, and I hope you find a combo that helps your pup !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Our 11 year old Boston Terrier has cataracts. One eye is bad and second eye is starting to show signs.

Bostons are wonderful. We have had many in our lifetime and have a Boston X currently. At one time , we had 5. They do have Eye issues, as any breed that has bulging eyes do.

Some of ours developed cataracts.

The dementia discussed is prevalent in Shiba Inu.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
Cognative Dysfunction Syndrome , or “doggie Alzheimer’s “ has been recognized for many years now and can be truely heartbreaking. It often leads to euthanasia if we can’t not manage the signs. There are many things that have been used over the years, some with data, many with out. The drug that many have tried with some success originally is called Anapryl. You can ask your vet about it. I am not a huge fan of acepromazine- yes the tranq effect is nice short term, but the dog often develops a tolerance and it is just masking the signs, not treating anything.
The pathophysiology of CDS is thought to be related to plaque deposition secondary to oxidative damage in the brain, so treatment with antioxidant and anti inflammatorys is recommended ( the DHA is a good start) Purina’s NeuroCare diet, and Hill’s b/d diet are two slightly different takes on a diet packed with these AO’s and AI’s. Both have data to support they can help, and you gotta feed em anyway so give these a month or two and see if it helps.
There are a number of supplement marketed with little research that may help and likely won’t hurt - SeniLife, NuTriks, Denemarin etc. Your results may vary.
Google “ canine CDS Ohio state university CVM” if you want more info.
Good luck, and I hope you find a combo that helps your pup !

Thank you for the info on Purina's NeuroCare food.

美しい犬

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yes, thank you dgrdvm, All good info and is pretty much is what are vet told us.

We ordered some senilife and will start her on it this week. Vet also suggested the Hills BD food so will likely get her on it soon too.

Again, thanks to those of you who provided info and support. And for your professional knowledge dgrdvm.

I am grateful.

Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
It’s my pleasure ORC.
Sounds like you and your vet have a plan, and always remember to give it a bit of time to assess response.
Feel free to message if there are ever any questions

Dave

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
One of our Greyhounds will be 14 next month and several of you have described her behavior to a T. I'll grab some DHA tomorrow and start her on it.

Posts: 3465 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I thought I would update some result with my pup.

We have had her on two 300 mg cap. of DHA
About a week ago we got the Senelife XL and give one cap of that as well now.

It has helped a lot. She is sleeping the night now. She is not nervous and agitated at night now.

I am really grateful. We are all sleeping better!

This is not a cure obviously. But it has definitely helped.

I love this pup. She has been a great dog, friend, protector, companion. We have done a ton or wonderful things together. She started life with us as a rescue. We got her as a companion for an older dog I had. He was my best bud. She bonded to him right away which sealed her place in my heart from the start.

We will just keep taking it a day at a time.

For those of you dealing with a similar situation I would definitely give it a try.

Sincerely, orc