SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage lights - temporary on while getting to the car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage lights - temporary on while getting to the car Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've had a motion detector switch for my garage lights. When I enter the garage from the house, the motion detector senses me and turns on the lights for a set period of time (by which I'm in my car and driving away).

However, I've just replaced all the fluorescent fixtures with LED strips. The LEDS overall are brighter and better (well, just installed so we'll see).

The problem is that the LEDs are flickering when the lights are turned on by detecting motion. They are fine when the switch is just set to "on" manually.

Known issue with switches and LEDs? What's causing this? What's the solution? Do I need to avoid motion detecting switches? Will a timed switch like this be better? Other thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using these for 8 years in my garage,

two hundred watt bulbs work fine, just fine
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Al...ight-MS34W/205351317

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
My bet, you could probably install one of these and solve the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton...on+led+motion+switch

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
It's probably an older switch that isn't designed to run LEDs. You'll just need to replace it w/ an LED compatible motion sensor switch.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What the last two posters said. ^^^

Older dimmers, photoeyes, motion sensors, etc don't always play nice with LEDs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I wonder what makes the old switch not compatible with LEDs.

Okay - looking for an explicitly LED compatible solution. The suggestion above looks good.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some motion sensor don't play well with flouroscent lights either (depending on the ballast type) so it's not just an LED thing.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Is there any option for a switch that has a countdown timer triggered once on, or if pushed twice quickly, etc? I could actually put one of those to good use.....

eta - WTH! I should have just Googled this first. Very cool. Other options as well.

quote:
OPERATIONS
Timer Mode
To enter timer mode, press and release the push button (for less than 2 seconds) repeatedly to select one of the four time set- tings or OFF ( 5 minutes - 10 minutes - 15 minutes - 30 minutes - OFF). The illuminated LED
indicates which time setting is selected and the connected load is turned ON. Timer starts counting down until time out is reached, all 5 LED’s go off and the connected load turns OFF.
Hold Mode (Continuous Operation)
To turn timer ON for extended periods of time, press and hold the push button for more than 2 seconds. Timer enters HOLD mode, HOLD LED turns on, and the connected load is turned ON. To exit HOLD mode press and release the push button, all 5 LED’s go off and the connected load turns OFF.

Their tech spec sheet also says these are LED and flouro compatible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. I wonder what makes the old switch not compatible with LEDs.
Solid state vs. relay contact outputs.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post