SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speed Queen still the gold standard or have others caught up?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speed Queen still the gold standard or have others caught up? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
4 to 4.5 cubic feet is the norm for washing machines these days, with 4.5+ becoming increasingly common.

This is why I was saying, if you are going top loader, make sure she has no issue reaching into the washer and able to get to the bottom of the tub, the large new washer tubs are very deep.

Wife is 5'4 and could not reach the bottom, which means a top loader would create more work for me Razz

GF is 5’2 and is prone to loading a washer to the top of the tub. She manages already reaching the bottom. But can’t grasp the concept modern washers don’t fill completely and has the notion stuck in her head they don’t wash as well. She’s also broken the suspension on hers a couple of times overloading. Why I’m considering the classic wash or a commercial series from another manufacturer

She’s also the person that thinks the vacuum cleaner always has to be at its lowest setting regardless (she burns belts often). Can’t complain too much she’s OCD about a clean house

I’m a supplier to Home Depot and speak with the appliance people often. They dislike selling Samsungs and LG because of the horrible customer service. I had a set of Samsungs and experienced the CS first hand. Never again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I bought a brand new SQ washer. Iirc it lasted about 3 years. Not buying another.

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
I bought a brand new SQ washer. Iirc it lasted about 3 years. Not buying another.

Not sure why yours would have gone fully kaput after only 3 years, but they have a 5 year parts and labor warranty (some even have 10 years), and are easy to work on even past that. They have an average lifespan of 25 years, compared to 10-13 years for other washers.

Did you make a warranty claim? What caused it to totally fail after just 3 years?

Posts: 32563 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I dont remember. I replaced it and moved on.

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went by an appliance place yesterday and looked at the SQ’s

Decided on the FF7 front loader washer for a bit more capacity (and I prefer front loaders) with the matching DF7 dryer

Placed deposit since they have to order the right hinge washer. Should be on their next truck. Figure a few weeks until delivery and install

Thanks for the input (my bank acct hates me. Lol)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We bought a SQ washer/dryer set in 2017 and they have been flawless in operation, my wife likes them more than the old Maytag top load stuff we had prior.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get two sets just to keep the wife and the girl friend from fighting over whome is using what when.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54717 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I'd get two sets just to keep the wife and the girl friend from fighting over whome is using what when.

Hahaha. They already have learned to share. I just let them figure it out

Will make for good comedy lol

In seriousness, I’m 58 and never been married. But looking like that will now happen. Parts and pieces are ordered and being put together currently. Not from our member in CA. But through personal friends in AL (2ct Montana rock creek mine sapphire, 2cttw Mozambique Rubys)

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
We bought a Whirlpool HE set at *least* 10-12 years ago. Been running fine ever since and does what I expect a washer/dryer to do.
(I’ve never owned a Speed Queen)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We've been very happy with our Maytag front loaders. However: we developed a problem with the washer controls acting up. The warranty guy said detergent had gotten into the control board, so not covered by warranty.

No problem, I ordered a new control board in October. It arrived in February. The entire country was out of those for about six months.

Don't store your big detergent dispenser above your control board.

Posts: 18095 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
My parents love theirs after trying and replacing a couple of other brands. As others have said, capacity is small but if you want a simple, reliable machine speed queen seems to check those boxes.

They also have different models with more features if that's what you're looking for.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3520 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
My wife loves our Speed Queen set.

Got the 7 yr warranty models and have not looked back.

Our teenage kids who did their own laundry living with us, loved to over fill it full when we were not watching. The washer and dryer both survived them and are doing just fine now with the kids away in college.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Cabrios are doing just ok after nine years

Posts: 54717 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Maytag Front loaders, since you are going to need the capacity with the addition to the home, run great, get the pedestals to raise them up, or if you leave them on the floor, the tops become a nice place for a folding table.

Handles large loads, LE detergent, less water.

If your GF isn't tall, the top loaders today have very deep drums, she'll need a step stool and one of the old folks grabbers to get clothes out of the bottom of the washer... or, she'll be yelling for you to "help get the clothes out of the washer" all the time.

This is funny because a few months ago we looked into both Speed Queen and Maytag. The local appliance store did not have the Speed Queen we wanted so we went to Best Buy and purchased a Maytag top loading washing machine without the agitator. We love it. The funny part is that my wife is 5'2" and has a hard time getting the clothes out of the washer. Most of the time I do it but lately she hasn't asked for any help. She has figured out a way to get the clothes out without help.

The capacity is great and it does a great job of cleaning clothes.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of fellas on you tube that say fabric softener is the silent killer.

A local repair man said that most people use 50% to 70% too much.

He has told dozens of people to run their machines empty for a full cycle if they have to use too much softener.
And they do it.

Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
You want the best washer but rule out the two best brands.

That's like saying you want a Corvette...........but must not be made by Chevrolet!

Posts: 175 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywag:

That's like saying you want a Corvette...........but must not be made by Chevrolet!

Are you referring to the original post? Samsung and LG appliances are commonly suggested against, not only by owners but also by knowledgeable repairmen.

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve previously owned Samsung washer and dryer set. They SUCKED. The customer service SUCKED when I made a warranty call within 3 weeks. I got rid of them as soon as I could

LG is no better

I’m around appliance sales people in a big box every day. They only sell them of absolutely requested. They, including store management, deal with repair calls daily from both brands and even their response from the manufacturer SUCKS

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

More like saying you want a sedan, but must not be made by Yugo or Saturn.

Posts: 32563 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Walked into the laundry room last Friday and the 18 year old GE is making bad sounds during the spin cycle. I knew its time was near.

Checked out Consumer Reports and it was worthless with LG and Samsung as top choices. No Speed Queen anywhere. Called my youngest sister who spent time as an appliance tech for Sears back when there WAS a Sears. She said Speed Queen commercial without a lid latch.

Spousal Unit/Master Shopper immediately took the bait and went on the search. Found one right here in the arm pit of Alabama, Montgomery. It will be here Friday. Not cheap, but the last one I will have to buy given my age.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post