SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bayliner verses Grady White verses Regal
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bayliner verses Grady White verses Regal Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm WELL out of the loop these days, but would go GW for sure. I see Regals, but know nothing about them. Knowing nothing about them, I would still buy one before a Bayliner.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My FIL had a Regal 3560 for years. Wonderful boat. Very nice finishes and systems all worked well on shore power or on genny's. Powered by dual Volvo Pentas. He upgraded to a big Prestige but the Regal was a really great boat. I've been looking at bowriders casually and regal is at the top of my list.

Grady's are known for being rugged and durable offshore boats. A heavy hitter in the center console world but never hear much about them in runabouts or bowriders.

Bayliners have always been cheap boats. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't work for you, but I think where you'll see the differences is in finishes, hardware, and systems. They are nowhere close to the class of the other two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just stand on the end of the dock, write checks, and throw them in the water? Smile

Posts: 647 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Wouldn't it be easier to just stand on the end of the dock, write checks, and throw them in the water? Smile

I spent $2500 on my first boat and enjoyed it for 3 years without spending more than $300 on parts/repairs.

Tracking down a rusty ground wire that would cause intermittent starting issues was the extent of my frustrations. Though I did get a hell of a satisfying chuckle when my father in law got zapped and we found the source of the issue. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I spent $2500 on my first boat and enjoyed it for 3 years without spending more than $300 on parts/repairs.

May your fortune continue in this regard. It certainly isn't the norm. Or maybe it is nowadays. I sold my Commander in the mid 70's, bought a canoe, and never looked back. Big Grin

Good luck in your search!

Posts: 647 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah I definitely got lucky with that boat.

Thanks everyone for the input. Many of you echoed my thoughts on the pros and cons of each boat. That is reassuring! Smile

I’m leaning towards a Regal 2100 LCR as it fits our family’s needs well and has room for friends. I also like the looks of the Regal LCR and that stepped hull quite a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Forgive me in advance for muddying the waters, but have you considered Chapparral or Stingray?

Also, do you have a preference for outboard or I/O? (I think I see both types in your photos).

That being said I like Regal and Grady White over Bayliner.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
Stickman: Do you know how they get the boats up on those wooden runners/skids shown with the Grady White? Don't want to derail your thread, just interested in how it is done.

Here is a picture of my boat on a forklift being transferred from the rack to a trailer:
html upload image

Stickman,

If I could afford a Grady White, that is the one I would choose due to the safety factor of them being unsinkable and their overall quality.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
What he said.

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Grady White, hands down. The others are lake boats. The Grady is an ocean boat you can run on a lake.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Forgive me in advance for muddying the waters, but have you considered Chapparral or Stingray?

Also, do you have a preference for outboard or I/O? (I think I see both types in your photos).

That being said I like Regal and Grady White over Bayliner.

Yeah I’ve considered Chaparral and have looked at a few of them. They are $$$$ but they are great boats. My preference is for outboard personally but as a fun family lake boat that will be used for tubing and cruising on lakes we would be fine with an I/O as long as it isn’t Volvo Penta.

The 5.0 fuel injected Mercury I/O that is in that Regal should work perfect for our intended purpose of fun on the many lakes I live near.

I really don’t see us taking it out on the ocean, the prospect of towing it 5 hours to the coast is not at all appealing.

I love the Grady White we looked at but I can’t help but wonder if something like that Regal might be a better fit for my family. The Regal 2100 LCR is certainly more affordable and allows us to get a bigger boat for our money and they seem to have a good reputation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Grady White is the best looking one for sure and they definitely have a following here in NC.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2769 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Grady White without question. Hands down better!

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
If you're going to tube, then move up to wakeboard or ski, a used inboard.

Mine: Bought in Aug 2019 for $3K. 1,100 hours. She ain't pretty, but she can dance.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think she is a pretty good looking boat 1967goat. You got a hell of a deal on it too!! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have made up your mind on a Regal. Never really knew anyone who owned one and I have spent my entire life living on or near the water. I would go with Grady White all day long. There is a reason for that.

If there is one thing I have seen over my lifetime is that peoples interest in things, like boating, are constantly changing. Kids grow up, what is fun for your wife this year may be gone in another year. However, if a guy loves the water and boating, that is something that seems to stick.

You will pay more up front for a Grady but they are almost indestructible and will hold their value for years. Who knows, you may really get into fishing and a 5 hour haul to the ocean may be no big deal. A Grady will shine on the open seas and salt water will not hurt her a bit.

But then, that's just one old guys take on things. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Grady White all the way. We have lots of them in the PNW and that will be my next boat. 23-25 feet with twin OBs.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the outcome of tonight's Mega Millions drawing,
I
Could be looking at 27 ft. Contender's
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:

Three “F’s”

If it flies, floats or fornicates - rent it!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Our family was always lake boaters since I was 15. We'd have Glastrons or Four Winns so can't comment on Bayliner or Regal plus I haven't owned a motor boat in nearly 30 years. However, when I go fishing on the ocean the two different guys I go with both have Gradys. I swore if I decide to get into boating again it will be with a Grady White.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Sounds like you have made up your mind on a Regal. Never really knew anyone who owned one and I have spent my entire life living on or near the water. I would go with Grady White all day long. There is a reason for that.

If there is one thing I have seen over my lifetime is that peoples interest in things, like boating, are constantly changing. Kids grow up, what is fun for your wife this year may be gone in another year. However, if a guy loves the water and boating, that is something that seems to stick.

You will pay more up front for a Grady but they are almost indestructible and will hold their value for years. Who knows, you may really get into fishing and a 5 hour haul to the ocean may be no big deal. A Grady will shine on the open seas and salt water will not hurt her a bit.

But then, that's just one old guys take on things. Smile

Well….full disclosure I was definitely leaning towards the Regal big time. All the glowing comments and positive reviews of Grady White has me reconsidering. I also really like that they are made in North Carolina.

There is a bicycle parts/accessories brand based in Asheville NC that gets my business because #1 they make a superb product and #2 it’s awesome that they manufacture everything in house not that far from where I live. Cool (Industry Nine)

That dual console I posted is damn close to being my perfect boat. If it was 21 feet and had a bench across the back or a little more seating I would be sold on Grady White. I love the idea of having a 300hp Yamaha outboard rather than a V8 Mercury I/O.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~