SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sticker Shock (Found an old receipt)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sticker Shock (Found an old receipt) Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted
From time to time we come across an article listing prices for common items way back when. It's fun to look at them but most of us really can't relate to them because we (most of us) didn't experience bringing down a couple of bucks a day.

Today while going through some things in storage I happened upon a receipt I could relate to. It was from Summer of 1997 and came from Martin's grocery store. For perspective I had a pretty good job at the time and was actually making only a few dollars less an hour than I am today. I was renting a two bedroom one bath townhouse for $350.00 a month.

Cigarettes - 1.49
Cigarettes - 1.49
Martin's Bread - .66
TDK Video Tape - 2.91
Spring Water - .59

Tax .32

Total - 7.46

Amazing to see how prices and income have not kept pace over the last 20 years.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I guess that will happen when your government can't stop printing money. Wages have definitely not kept pace with the drop in the value of a dollar that's for sure. My last 6 cars were more expensive than my parents first house big enough for a family of four. Oh and cigarettes in Cook County are now over $12 per pack Smile

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Oh and cigarettes in Cook County are now over $12 per pack Smile

And yet people still decide to start smoking. Mystifies me, it does.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Finding old stuff like that is fun sometimes and saddening others.

I once found a receipt and was mortified.
Went out for a very nice dinner in High School when I was cleaning out my desk to move out after graduating college I found the receipt.
The bill was nearly $250 without tip.
While looking at the bill my jaw dropped. Apparently on my tip I left off a ZERO.
I left a $5.00 tip on a $250 bill.
My stomach dropped and felt awful. I went to the establishment the next day with a $100 bill but sadly being years later the server no longer worked there and they had no contact info for him.

Talk about feeling like a schlub!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Finding old stuff like that is fun sometimes and saddening others.

I once found a receipt and was mortified.
Went out for a very nice dinner in High School when I was cleaning out my desk to move out after graduating college I found the receipt.
The bill was nearly $250 without tip.
While looking at the bill my jaw dropped. Apparently on my tip I left off a ZERO.
I left a $5.00 tip on a $250 bill.
My stomach dropped and felt awful. I went to the establishment the next day with a $100 bill but sadly being years later the server no longer worked there and they had no contact info for him.

Talk about feeling like a schlub!

I tip (no pun intended) my hat at you Sir for trying to make it right. I’m constantly impressed by the caliber of people here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have a receipt from the 70s or 80s from when my dad purchased a 1950s-ish Brazilian rosewood d28 Martin guitar for $300 or $400. I'll see if I can find it. Last I checked they were going for 10-15k Eek I'll never sell it though, some of my fondest memories with my dad involve that guitar.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I acquired a Beretta 950 from the early 60's, box, tag, receipt and all. The original purchaser paid 39 bucks for it.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
But look at things like TV’s and computers and you don’t even need to go back 20 years. A computer that was $1,000 10 years ago is like $300 today and a TV that was $1,200 is now $500!

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
But look at things like TV’s and computers and you don’t even need to go back 20 years. A computer that was $1,000 10 years ago is like $300 today and a TV that was $1,200 is now $500!

Yep. Around the time of that receipt I posted, perhaps a year or so prior, I got a hellava deal on a computer. A pentium machine, Trigem I think, with ONE GIG of storage, 8megs ram, Monitor, canon printer, and a flat bed scanner, for $1300 bucks! Windows 95 was the bomb.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread made me dig up up my receipt for the Colt Python that I bought in 1983. $325. It gave me buyers remorse because I thought that I paid way too much and it busted my budget for a couple of months. It's value today is $0.00 dollars because I'll never see the gain. It will become my son's gun.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Don't have the receipt.
But as I recall, purchased an M1 .30 carbine, from the DCM for $20.00 .
$17.50 for the rifle and $2.50 shipping.
It came directly to me; no FFL involved.
This was in the 1960s.
Sadly, I sold it.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the early 70s, $10,000.00 would buy you a bunch of cool stuff.

These days, probably a museum-quality Yugo.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have the original green tag and law away receipt from a K-Mart purchase I made in 1985. (with my dad)

A Remington 12 gauge Featherweight Wingmaster.

$189.95

I still have it !!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Cigarettes - 1.49

When I took up smoking (1967), cigarettes were $.25/pack from the vending machine, or $.20/pack if you bought them by the carton.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
From time to time we come across an article listing prices for common items way back when. It's fun to look at them but most of us really can't relate to them because we (most of us) didn't experience bringing down a couple of bucks a day.

Today while going through some things in storage I happened upon a receipt I could relate to. It was from Summer of 1997 and came from Martin's grocery store. For perspective I had a pretty good job at the time and was actually making only a few dollars less an hour than I am today. I was renting a two bedroom one bath townhouse for $350.00 a month.

Cigarettes - 1.49
Cigarettes - 1.49
Martin's Bread - .66
TDK Video Tape - 2.91
Spring Water - .59

Tax .32

Total - 7.46

Amazing to see how prices and income have not kept pace over the last 20 years.

The funny thing is if you find a receipt for guns from that same time they are probably cheaper now

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The funny thing is if you find a receipt for guns from that same time they are probably cheaper now

Depends on the firearm. ARs absolutely. But I paid $120 bucks for a never issued Norinco SKS that came with a sling, bandoleer, cleaning kit, and ten stripper clips. This was somewhere around 1987. In '94 I bought a brand new 4" Smith and Wesson model 66 for $350 bucks.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have somewhere in a cigar box a utility bill from circa 1973 a monthly Electric, Water and Sewer bill COMBINED including tax for a 2 person household, it was ~$10.xx

I had just got married and I made $99.98 take home a week. Gas heat and water heater and no AC. But still...

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

While TV's have definitely dropped a ton in price I'm not convinced computers have. While you can get the computing power of that $1000 laptop for much less today, the price on a basic top tier computer has pretty much remained the same for the past 30 years. I've been building computers since the early 80's. The cost of a reasonably top of the line computer has always seemed to be around $2K whether it was a new 286 processor or a 2018 i7. Truly amazing the speed at which computers have advanced in the past 30 years.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I didn't go to safe and dig up the receipt for a couple of firearms bought through the NRA back in the 50's. $35.00 for a 30-45 Krag and $25.00 for a Model 1911; that a pistol and rifle shipped to the house for well under $100.00.

Also remember (mid 70's) buying a Ruger Blackhawk .357 for $69.00, Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag for $79.00, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag for $89.00 at Montgomery Wards.

Also remember the purchase of a first year 1964 Mustang for $2300.00 out the door in June of '64

Posts: 1896 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My father found the receipts from his birth in 1935 when he cleaned out his parents' house. The hospital bill was $50 and the doctor's bill was $35.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post