SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rapper is murdered in Memphis, black-on-black crime, and the mayor calls for a curfew to prevent rioting
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rapper is murdered in Memphis, black-on-black crime, and the mayor calls for a curfew to prevent rioting Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I recall reading that Memphis, for several years, had the fastest growing PD in the country. Stands to reason.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I recall reading that Memphis, for several years, had the fastest growing PD in the country. Stands to reason.

In the late 90's it was growing rapidly. Around 2010 the City made some questionable decisions regarding the pension and health care that drove away nearly a quarter of the department and killed hiring dead. Depending on which numbers you look at Memphis is currently between 500 and 800 officers under staffed.

The city eventually reversed the pension and health care decisions (after several years, a lawsuit, and a tax referendum where the community voted to give themselves a half cent tax increase to pay for it) but the damage is done and finding qualified people who want to do this work is challenging. Constant bad press in the media for several years hasn't helped either.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
Amazing how the “community” always seems to take out it’s frustrations on cell phone, clothing and shoe stores.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
quote:

My Son is a Memphis Police Officer and patrols some of the worst parts of the City.
He lost count of the number of shootings he's worked. A lot of good people are trapped in bad neighborhoods and fed up with the violence.

I may know him then. I've been here since '93 and working in LE since 98. Memphis hasn't gotten any better in that time period...

It's a good chance you may. He managed to get a Bravo shift after his first year. I'm not sure he would still be there otherwise.
I moved away from Memphis back in the 70s. I went to Treadwell. It was a great city back in those days. It still had some issues but nothing close to what is going on now.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Young Dolph has got some street cred now.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19667 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Young Dolph has got some street cred now.

I hope you'll forgive me, but I've slightly amended your post to read 'The forever-Young Dolph has got some street-cred now'.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was not supposed to be a murder but just a shooting. You know, the Fleshy Part of the Thigh

Posts: 7260 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post