SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Downloading music
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downloading music Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
I haven't downloaded any music since the old days of (free)Napster.
I would like thoughts on the best ways to start doing it again. Thinking mainly of older stuff, late 50s, 60s, and early 70s mainly.
Not really puter savy so I need the simple sites.
Would like reasonable cost as I assume the free days are gone.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime members can stream just about any song/album/genre they desire. It is included with prime membership. The service is awesome and i use it almost exclusively to listen to music. No ads either. For anybody with prime, I highly recommend it. The app is Amazon Music.

Posts: 581 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
My Bro-In-Law would go to the library and check out CD's - 100's and 100's of all sorts of music. Amazing what a selection he put together. He would RIP them to Digital MP2's and play them from anything he had - I copied his collection. 250gig -
Xmas, Halloween, Oldies, Country, Rock ...

I keep my traveling music on a cheap USB Drive to play on a PC or copy My Favorites to my Phone or Tablet.

I do still buy CD's at Concerts and RIP them my self along with all my personal CD's.

Great way to store, Listen with my Tin Ear and share if you can.

Posts: 504 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't download much music. Still buy it mostly on CD Smile

But, when I do download, I buy it from Amazon.

Come to think of it: I probably won't be buying many CDs any more. The new-to-me Jeep doesn't sport a CD player. I've begun ripping my CDs to an SD card.

Thanks for reminding me, btw. I meant to download a couple Blondie songs (The Tide Is High, which was popular when I met my wife, and Heart Of Glass), which will go onto another mix album I'll eventually make.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Probably Amazon for buying actual songs or albums and having a format you can move around.

There are free options for computers and smartphones. IHeart radio will let you make your own channels and play music related to that. You get a few skips per day. You could make a 70s Rock channel or a Led Zepplin channel and get a variety of similar music free. I think Pandora works the same way too.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you buy a CD from Amazon, you can immediately download it as high-quality (320kbps) .mp3.

If you don't know where to go, it's somewhat difficult to 'just download' music & you probably won't find much of the obscure stuff. Not to mention virii & the RIAA looking to bone you.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
Amazon Prime members can stream just about any song/album/genre they desire. It is included with prime membership. The service is awesome and i use it almost exclusively to listen to music. No ads either. For anybody with prime, I highly recommend it. The app is Amazon Music.

And..... you can download much of the oldie stuff to your device. Like Patsy Cline. George Jones.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime is not currently something we use. We have no internet except via our phone data package. I can hotspot my computer/Ipad through the phones. No cable service is available for me and satellite internet just plain got too expensive.
We tried Prime but the cost was more then the savings on shipping that it provided so we cancelled it. Would Prime give cost savings on music down loads compared to doing it with out Prime?

Any suggestions for a good "ripping & converting" program for use on my computer (Win 8.1)?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have prime, but it seems I need Amazon unlimited to listen to stuff I want to hear.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:

I have prime, but it seems I need Amazon unlimited to listen to stuff I want to hear.

Yeah, all their plans are getting confusing. Seems like they're trying to devalue and push people off of the "free" service.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
5k player allows you to download youtube videos. plenty of music videos on youtube. you have the option of downloading only the audio part or outputting the downloaded video to audio only. It's free.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
My Bro-In-Law would go to the library and check out CD's - 100's and 100's of all sorts of music. Amazing what a selection he put together. He would RIP them to Digital MP2's and play them from anything he had - I copied his collection. 250gig -
Xmas, Halloween, Oldies, Country, Rock ...

I keep my traveling music on a cheap USB Drive to play on a PC or copy My Favorites to my Phone or Tablet.

I do still buy CD's at Concerts and RIP them my self along with all my personal CD's.

Great way to store, Listen with my Tin Ear and share if you can.

You seem quite proud of his/your thievery... steal anything else worth noting?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I find a lot of tunes, including live performances, on YouTube.

You can record the audio using a free "streaming media recorder" - it records what's coming out of your computer speakers.

You start the recorder recording, then start the video, then can go back and edit out the delay. When done you will have an mp3 or whatever file to save or burn onto a CD.

I had good results with Audacity but there are other recorders.

https://www.techsupportalert.c...g-media-recorder.htm

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post