SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fasting is becoming quite popular.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fasting is becoming quite popular. Login/Join 
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
The benefits of fasting occur when you are in ketosis. If you are eating the Standard American Diet (SAD) and think you can try a fast, I'd bet you'll make it 8 hours before you think you are going to die.

If you are in ketosis and fat-adapted, a 24-48-hour fast will be no big deal at all. In fact, I've done many unintentional 24-hour fasts simply because I wasn't hungry.

...and yes, I have worked out, hard, during those fasts with zero difference noted from a non-fasting workout.

It's hard to explain to people that are eating the SAD, because your hunger signals are SO STRONG that you can't fathom not eating for extended periods.

If you want more info, Google Dr. Jason Fung.

Read his books, The Obesity Code, The Complete Guide to Fasting, and The Diabetes Code if you want more in-depth info.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I did three days a month ago or so with no problem. Mostly it's mental, you keep thinking you should eat. The actual "hunger" part of it (an empty tight feeing in the stomach) passed fairly quickly. The only other related issue was lots of extra noise lol, grumbling and growling.
On the third day I did get a bad headache, but I pretty much knew the cause of it. All I did was sprinkle some salt in my hand, lick it and in a couple minutes the headache was gone.

I recently started back with "eating hours". Years ago I was 10 to 10. Now I'm doing noon to 8pm. I feel better during the day, worrying/thinking less about food oddly enough, I'm sleeping a little better, waking up MUCH better. (I learned some years back that carbs and sugar (usually soda) at night made sleep better, but made me an unresponsive zombie in the morning, unable to wake up. I wake up early and on my own now.)

The only issue I'm having is hydration. Remembering to keep drinking even though I'm not eating, because usually the went hand in hand.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Is it safe for a type ii to fast?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

Yes and no.

I am type II and on metformin, which is not insulin lowering, thus it should be safe. I do however keep a close eye on my blood sugars regardless.

If you are on insulin or other BS lowering medications, you should definitely consult your doctor about reducing medication before beginning a fast or low carb diet. Hypos are no fun.

Dr Jason Fung (a Canadian nephrologist) has written three books about fasting. I recommend reading them first. Also lots on Youtube.

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
https://www.amazon.com/Obesity...&keywords=jason+fung

The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally
https://www.amazon.com/Diabete...&keywords=jason+fung

The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended
https://www.amazon.com/Complet...&keywords=jason+fung

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
If you are in ketosis and fat-adapted, a 24-48-hour fast will be no big deal at all. In fact, I've done many unintentional 24-hour fasts simply because I wasn't hungry.

I have been on and off of keto / sugar for several years. I am a sugar addict, a total junky. I am no more capable of eating sugar/carbs in moderation than an alcoholic can have just one glass of wine at dinner.

Recently, I have been off-the-wagon and hitting the carbs hard, particularly in the evenings. The primary reason for starting this fast was to try and break the carb binging. So while I was certainly not in ketosis when starting the fast, my body is well used to going into ketosis as needed.

I suspect that much of the difficulty in switching from SAD to Keto or Fasting is not just the transition itself but that for most people, their body has never done it before.

I did continue several vitamin supplements and salts. The only one I didn't have was phosphorus, but will definitely get it before trying a longer fast. Many say that this is unnecessary, but I tend to be overly cautious.

Also, I think refeeding should be a small and low carb.

The "promises" of the fasting promoters that attract me the most are reducing insulin resistance and lowering the body's weight set point. The weight/water loss is an added benefit.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

Yes and no.

I am type II and on metformin, which is not insulin lowering, thus it should be safe. I do however keep a close eye on my blood sugars regardless.

If you are on insulin or other BS lowering medications, you should definitely consult your doctor about reducing medication before beginning a fast or low carb diet. Hypos are no fun.

Dr Jason Fung (a Canadian nephrologist) has written three books about fasting. I recommend reading them first. Also lots on Youtube.

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
https://www.amazon.com/Obesity...&keywords=jason+fung

The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally
https://www.amazon.com/Diabete...&keywords=jason+fung

The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended
https://www.amazon.com/Complet...&keywords=jason+fung

Obesity code is a great book. I do time restricted eating from 12-7 every day. 16-8 or 17-7 fasting.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Obesity code is a great book. I do time restricted eating from 12-7 every day. 16-8 or 17-7 fasting.

I just re-listened to it while walking the treadmill, while on my 3 day fast. Wink

Kinda trying to brain wash myself into keeping going.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and yes, I have worked out, hard, during those fasts with zero difference noted from a non-fasting workout.

There are two basic strategies for surviving a famine (or fast). The first is to get off your ass and go look for food, maybe even migrate great distances. The second is to hunker down and wait it out.

It is my theory that the body responds differently to these two strategies.

When pursuing a strategy of food searching, mental acuity and muscle is critical.
Thus the mind remains alert, and the body consumes almost exclusively fat stores, thus preserving muscle for the search, hunt, fight. This maximizes the opportunity to cover greater distances and acquire new food sources. And it is all about the hunt for food.

When pursuing a strategy of waiting it out, the mind and body become lethargic to minimize caloric expenditure, and the body consumes muscle to a greater degree. Fat is far more efficient at storing energy than muscle, which actually burns extra calories even when not being used. This maximizes survival time, and it is all about survival time when waiting out a famine.

But I suspect this is why some researchers find that fasts decrease muscle mass, and others find the opposite. It is dependent on whether the fast is accompanied by exercise or not. I find long walks/hikes (treadmill) work well for me.

Also, there are more sources of protein than just muscles. For example, excess skin is a possible source of protein. In fact, Dr Fung claims that he has never had to refer a patient for skin reduction surgery. But if a researcher is only measuring protein loss, then this would make it appear that there is a reduction in muscle mass.

Just my thoughts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fenris,

posted Hide Post
When in the heck did eating become so complicated?

The obesity explosion in the US is relatively new. Maybe the last 20-30 years. Back in the 60s or 70s (when BMI was much lower) no one ever fasted except at Lent. For that matter, no one went to the gym, ran for "fun", or rode a bike after they were 16 and could drive a car.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

The obesity explosion in the US is relatively new. Maybe the last 20-30 years. Back in the 60s or 70s (when BMI was much lower) no one ever fasted except at Lent. For that matter, no one went to the gym, ran for "fun", or rode a bike after they were 16 and could drive a car.

There are many and varied reasons for this. During the same 20-30 years, the low-fat/high-carb diet has been promoted as the "healthy" way to eat. In that same time frame, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease have skyrocketed. I realize that correlation =/= causation, but where there is smoke...

Low carb/Keto/Paleo/Carnivore/No Sugar No Grains, is far closer to what we ate prior to the invention of agriculture. It's what our ancestors were eating for hundreds of thousands of years vs. the 5000 or so that we have been consuming wheat and the 100 or so that we have been eating pre-packaged processed foods.

There are piles of books on this topic. Some of the best are by Gary Taubes and Nina Teischolz.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe food was different back then and the current nutrition guidelines (food pyramid) were fairly new at that point.

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
quote:

I believe food was different back then and the current nutrition guidelines (food pyramid) were fairly new at that point.

The food pyramid was created by the dept of agriculture not the department of health. Think about that for a second.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me hungry...

After doing a little research, I will try this. Hard part is going to be in the mornings. I drink coffee with milk and sugar. Maybe I'll have a glass of water and go for a jog.

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a 5 day fast in late Jan, it was no big deal. Mostly mental, kept working out like normal with no loss of strength or energy. It was a total mind-screw not to eat for an entire work week! I go dinner to dinner a bunch, couple times per week.

Currently, I'm pursing a crazy endurance goal and running a bunch in train up. My long runs are 17 miles and climbing, I do them in a fasted state, I want to know when I hit the wall or "bonk" as the runners call it. I find this all very interesting a d like experimenting on myself and also proving the info on fasting is true ( it is for me at least.)

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

I have been on and off of keto / sugar for several years. I am a sugar addict, a total junky. I am no more capable of eating sugar/carbs in moderation than an alcoholic can have just one glass of wine at dinner.

That absolutely describes me. Even talked to the wife about finding an Overeaters Anonymous. No shit.

Started Keto in April. Down 40 pounds, from 235 to 195. Once I hit 184lbs, likely next month, I will weigh less than I’ve weighed since I was 19.

I’m rarely hungry, no “hangry” mood swings, and I feel much better in general.

I fished a $400 leather coat out of storage that hasn’t fit well since 2004. My wife chuckled at the fact that I still had it, but couldn’t deny it looked good on me!

Once I get down to 175 I plan to add strength exercise. Right now it’s running and body weight.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

No reason why body weight can't be your "strength" exercise as well, that's all I do and I'm way stronger than average. Check out "Get Strong". https://www.amazon.com/Get-Str...r=8-1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Answer: Ancel Keys and McGovern's 1977 Dietary Guidelines (government low fat / High Carb dogma which is still spouted today) - the origins of skyrocketing obesity and type 2 diabetes (and Alzheimer's, MS, Parkinson's, NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, etc., etc., etc).

The lucrative story of cotton seed oil

The Odious Dietary Guidelines 1977 – Hormonal Obesity II - Dr. Jason Fung

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gots da beetus, so no.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I gots da beetus, so no.

So? Read Fung's books and talk to your doctor. Seriously talk to him. The feet you save may be your own.

posted Hide Post
I did 42 days on a detox fast called the Master Cleanse..... while biking 12 miles a day and doing a manual labor job. It was far, far easier than I thought it would be.

I'm a cynic in that I believe that most things are a chump's deal. Testing viable and well researched ideas is mandatory from this point of view.

Fasting is one of those freaky, alternative medicine subjects that delivers as advertised.

Highly recommended.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post