SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FTC fines GoodRx $1.5 million for sending consumer health data to Google and Facebook
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FTC fines GoodRx $1.5 million for sending consumer health data to Google and Facebook Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted
A few people I know use GoodRX to get discounts on prescription medications. I never used GoodRX because I knew there had to be a catch. As it turns out, there was.

FTC fines GoodRx $1.5 million for sending consumer health data to Google and Facebook
https://www.theverge.com/2023/...vacy-google-facebook

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
$1.5 million? Pocket change. They need to make it hurt and put people in jail. This fine will accomplish nothing.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Only 1.5 mil? Pocket change for them. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
$1.5 million? Pocket change. They need to make it hurt and put people in jail. This fine will accomplish nothing.

You're right. $1.5 million is nothing. To me, the ridiculously low fine speaks volumes.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Only 1.5 mil? Pocket change for them. Roll Eyes

One Million Dollars - Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (2/5) Movie CLIP (1997) HD

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
One of my generics is 806 per month. Goodrx is 21 bucks. I am not on Facebook and figure that is not a bad bargain. It is not like they are the only ones data mining. They should have been upfront about it.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
"There's no such thing as a free lunch." -- Milton Friedman, American economist and statistician

"If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you're the product being sold." -- Andrew Lewis (aka: "blue_beetle")

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

"If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you're the product being sold." -- Andrew Lewis (aka: "blue_beetle")

This was my first thought when someone asked me if I would like to try it.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
One of my generics is 806 per month. Goodrx is 21 bucks. I am not on Facebook and figure that is not a bad bargain. It is not like they are the only ones data mining. They should have been upfront about it.

Can you get your medications from Canada? If so, are they significantly cheaper?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jupiter,

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you get your medications from Canada? If so, are they significantly cheaper?

^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably but not worth the hassle for one medication. Just checked it is actually more with a Canadian pharmacy.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hahahahaha.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37119 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably but not worth the hassle for one medication. Just checked it is actually more with a Canadian pharmacy.

For that kind of savings, most people would sell their prescription history to Satan. Big Grin

-- George Orwell

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
No, it was not posted by me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Pffft…GoodRx can find that pocket change in the sofa cushions. Big whoop… Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
No, it was not posted by me.

Corrected. Copy and paste gets me every time. Smile

-- George Orwell

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have no clue what goodrx is or how it works. All I know is one of my prescriptions came up to $46 unexpectedly yesterday. I asked them to check goodrx (whatever it is), she said it will be $21 instead. Not sure if she picked up the phone and called Facebook when I left or how that works, but for 60% I don't care if she tells zuck all my medicines.

I'm not sure if I'm a goodrx customer or not or what their service is, just if a prescription seems high I tell them to check there vs my insurance.

What I do know if I can save 60% with a few keystrokes, I am getting ripped off.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The fact that we even have to rely on something like a GoodRx shows how broken and corrupted the entire medical insurance system in this country has become.

A $800 a month drug “magically” turns into $21 a month? Something is VERY wrong here.

I was getting bottles of Flonase for $12-15 each via a prescription for about a year until I realized those very same bottles were around $5 each via Amazon and Costco Roll Eyes

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

A $800 a month drug “magically” turns into $21 a month? Something is VERY wrong here.
Roll Eyes

I agree.

Facebook and Google have been trying to get our medical data for years. The scheme is working.

-- George Orwell

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m know I was around but I must have missed it. There was a time when I would buy something and anything shared was just between me and the company. When did sharing personal info become a thing? And when/why is it acceptable?

This sharing and breaching of information should be criminal.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12750 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’m know I was around but I must have missed it. There was a time when I would buy something and anything shared was just between me and the company. When did sharing personal info become a thing? And when/why is it acceptable?

This sharing and breaching of information should be criminal.

It was about the same time that people started convincing themselves that companies can sell you a product with a 95 percent reduction in price through what is tantamount to magic. They’ve convinced themselves that businesses can buy medication though “buying in bulk” or my personal favorite “negotiating with big pharma to pass the savings on to you”. Or “one weird trick to save......”.

Let’s face it, people were cool with the idea of GoodRX commuting a crime as long as pharma was the victim. Now, that it is perceived that the user is the victim (which I’m
Going to guess there is fine print that the user agreed to in this) it’s totally a double cross and someone needs to go to jail.

Fact is, people are gullible.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37119 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 95% reduction in a drug's price seems normal in the healthcare world. Comparing various drug's cash prices with the contract rate for various insurance companies, discounts like that are normal.

It always reminded me of Harbor Freight prices where there are around five prices for any item depending on the store, sale, and coupons used. For healthcare, though, there are likely dozens of prices for any procedure or drug.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post