SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the scoop on Fulton, GA? Edit - I meant Fairburn Update page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the scoop on Fulton, GA? Edit - I meant Fairburn Update page 2 Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Good? Bad? Ugly? I know the proximity to Peachtree City could possibly be a plus.

I may have an opportunity that I'm undecided on taking just yet. Unfortunately I can't elaborate just yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vulrath,

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do ya like heavy traffic?

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Not in the slightest. Manual transmission and all that.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, there's one in the minus column for you.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Fulton County is a very big County. Runs well North of Atlanta proper to well South.

Peachtree City is South of there.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Fulton County could be the "nicest" suburbs in Atlanta and some of the best schools in the state or it could be downtown Atlanta and the hood, or it could be the area around the airport or... many options.

Need more specifics.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be an improvement from your cuurent residence which appears to be Mogadishu on the River. Red clay everywhere.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
It's where I was born, so it's got that going against it too.

edit: 10000th post on the forum was me making fun of myself. I'll take it Big Grin

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own an auto repair shop in Peachtree City and live further south in Grantville. I was raised in Smyrna, so I am pretty familiar with Fulton County....its a cesspool. To loosely quote Kim Peterson(The Kimmer)...If they were going to give Georgia an enema, they would stick the pipe in South Fulton!

Poverty, crime, and MARTA.....need I say more.

OK, to be fair I commuted to Peachtree City from Smyrna from 1994 to 2004. In 95 or 96 I looked into buying a house in either Fairburn or Palmetto. I liked both little towns. Quickly realized they were in Fulton County and learned what property taxes would cost and that MARTA ran to both. Nope, ended up moving to Senoia. Having said that...Fayette County is growing too fast for its own good. This whole area is exploding.

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 148 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Fulton County on the northside, maybe. City of Atlanta or southside, not so much.
I'd suggest looking at Google maps first and if the offer gets serious, hop in your car and drive down for the weekend to check out where you'd live and work.
A general area of where you would work would be very helpful in determining the advise anyone could give.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I have lived in Roswell, the very north tip of Fulton county for 20+ years. We love it hear and almost never venture downtown. Knowing what I know now I would want to live in the same area but maybe Cobb or Cherokee county.

If you will be commuting to work, making that as short as possible will be a huge improvement in your happiness. Traffic especially during peak hours is a nightmare.

JC

Posts: 1305 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A map of Fulton, only the northern parts are inhabitable

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I'll second what others have said about Fulton.

You know Peachtree City is actually in Fayette Co? I live in Fayette. Wonderful community, raised a family here, no regrets. However, we recently (2018) moved to south end of the county because the elements of south Fulton and Clayton Cos were incurring. If Peachtree City area is your ultimate goal, also consider east Coweta Co. such as Senoia and Sharpsburg.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
My bad, I somehow read Fulton as the city. The place is in Fairburn.

I spent 3 weeks in Peachtree City (about 20 minutes south) last year for training. It seemed very upscale and quiet (though the folks on those damned carts need to learn that the heaviest vehicle is going to win in a collision), but that doesn't tell me enough about the housing situation, etc.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Grew up next door in DeKalb County. We stayed out of Fulton as much as possible. Traffic, crime, higher taxes, etc.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:

I spent 3 weeks in Peachtree City (about 20 minutes south) last year for training. It seemed very upscale and quiet (though the folks on those damned carts need to learn that the heaviest vehicle is going to win in a collision), but that doesn't tell me enough about the housing situation, etc.

For what it's worth between Newnan, Peachtree City, Tyrone and everything in between. You can find pretty much what ever type of housing you are looking for. There are good areas & run down areas in all of these.

Not a huge crime rate.

But man there is this little gas station over in Haralson that makes some awesome country sausage.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8936 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It may not take much to hop the county line to live. When we were down there it was Eastern Coweta Co, nice back then.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
As a resident of the Roswell area for over 30 years (and actually in Roswell since 1998), it's a nice area for families if you can deal with the traffic and high taxes (which pay for some of the top schools in the state and which are generally above the national average).

However, South Fulton has similarly high taxes but poorer schools, less (and generally poorer) infrastructure, and sketchier demographics in some areas. The cities of South Fulton are trying to rectify this with the education and transportation SPLOSTs but this adds to the sales tax burden and it will take years (if not decades) to make up for some of the neglect that Fulton County and some residents of the area have brought about.

All of this makes South Fulton (including Fairburn) less appealing to most. Personally, I would look at surrounding counties and possibly Newnan or Peachtree City if you're going to be working in those areas. Talk to a good realtor and let us know if you have specific questions.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:

I spent 3 weeks in Peachtree City (about 20 minutes south) last year for training…

NCR?

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was a financial CE. I left when it became painfully obvious my boss wasn't going to bump my pay from where I started at in 2020 to what they're giving new hires.

It's nice not having to wear IIIA kevlar to work every day.