SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for a slip on shoe to make a trip outside
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for a slip on shoe to make a trip outside Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of winter Merrell Mocs that I wear a lot. Insulated and a sole that is supposed to be grippy on ice. When I need more it's a pair of Boggs boots.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/...2=arcticGrip&start=1

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11880 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I also have Quoddy "dorm boots" and slippers. I have some mocs by these folks too...

https://www.itascamoccasin.com/men-s-cota

They make them based off a foot tracing you send them.

I've been through two pairs of the Quoddy boots, over the past five years. I've had the Itasca mocs for a year now. I wear them both outside regularly.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks K, how durable do the itasca's seem. Easy on/off? For this pair I prefer hands freeSmile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19675 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I slip into mine, and they're a mid-height that they apparently don't make anymore. So the lows should be effortless. Mine were made with a tracing, which I recommend. The first pair I bought using their size guide, and they were much too small. I sent them back with a tracing, and they squared me away. I'd also recommend the glossy leather, as opposed to sueded; the sueded is floppier, and makes slip-on not as easy. That first, wrong pair I got was sueded.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Skecher slip ons for me.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14032 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muck Muckster Low have been my go to for the last 4 or 5 years. I wear them to take out the trash, walk the dogs or check on something that goes bump in the night. Warm, waterproof and comfortable.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The Birkenstock Arizona rugged looks really good at $145 and made in Germany.

posted Hide Post
I have been using the skecher slip ons for about two years. Soles can get slippery on wet surfaces

Posts: 1454 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Vans

Posts: 1701 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I like Sketchers or Crocs for quick trips but I find Crocs are very dangerous when it's wet.

Posts: 2335 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will say that the footwear I recommended isn't ideal for outdoors in rainy/wet conditions. Light/shallow or hard-packed snow would be OK.

I am a footwear weirdo. I don't wear anything on my feet that's not US-made (except the rubber boots I wear in the chicken houses). I think American made footwear is worth it, even if the quality is no better than a foreign made alternative. If I had money to burn, I'd probably have even more different shoes, boots, and slippers.

Those Itasca slippers I have were made for me, using a tracing of my feet, by a woman named Sam in Minnesota.

My Quoddys were, as previously noted, made in Maine. One of my feet is a bit bigger than the other (something that makes the tracing a cool feature), so I wore through the toe on that foot. I sent them to a somewhat local cobbler, and had them repaired. Made in the USA, and then repaired in the USA by a "dying breed" tradesman much like a gunsmith.

They're neat things to wear on my feet. I have a respect for things like moccasins. Lewis and Clark crossed the friggen Rockies in moccasins; though theirs were much more rugged than the slipper-type we're discussing here.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sketchers" slip ins

Link

Bought my 87 year old dad a pair, he loves them since he no longer can easily tie shoes, then Bought myself 3 pairs. Easy to slip into, fit nicely, even wear a pair when riding the motorcyle.

Also have some inexpensive slip on moccasin style shoes, bought several pairs that were 50% off after the holidays where they didn't sell all the inventory at Dillards, and sometimes get them on Woot.

They have rubber soles with non slip pattern, are lined and keep your feet warm, and still are good in the summer. Not snow/mud level stuff, but then again, we don't have those problems here.

Of course they'll get joked about but if you're just heading out into the yard to let the dog out and take a wiz, get a set of Croc's, in Camo...

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
I like Keens, and they have a couple slip on varieties. I have no experience with the slip on type. Also, they are a bit off road if that matters.

Posts: 371 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, just about all of the suggestions here are chicom or third world made stuff. Which I get.

The birkenstock which I understand the lefty hippie connotation with them. But they are quality made and German made and not wildly expensive and would do what I am wanting to do and probably outlast me.
So while I could spend $70 on up on chicom stuff. Spend $150 on something made in Germany and is known for quality has an appeal.

And I am no hippy Razz so there is that!

Still not sure what I am going to do.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
There's a new shoe around, my kids love 'em. They're called, Hey Dudes. Big R and other sell them.

Posts: 5809 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My house shoes are cheap JCrew faux-shearling lined, suede slippers. I do like them and they can handle trips to the mailbox just fine. If I were fancier, I'd have the LL Bean double sole slippers https://www.llbean.com/llb/sho...ttrValue_0=926&pos=9. If I was real fancy, I'd have a pair of Easymocs. https://easymocs.com/collectio...ucts/easymoc-grizzly

Or

For heavier lifting my go-outside shoes are one of 3 pairs of LL Bean duck boots. Height depends on if I have to cross the creek. If I could only have one pair, I'd probably get the 6".

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Hey Dudes, popular down here in Florida for easy slip on and comfortable very casual shoe. Not much support to do much walking or work.

Posts: 2335 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Trade off between Crocs and Skecher walker depending on the weather and how far into the backyard I’m going. Front drive to mailbox is inclined and hazardous with Crocs in wet weather. Crocs also are a goat head magnet in the backyard. Even the Merrell Mocs suffer in the backyard from rocks and thorny things. I’m finding the Skecher Walkers more comfortable and so the Crocs aren’t worn as much. Shame, as my sister gave met a new set of Crocs for my birthday with a spiffy cannabis leaf design.

Posts: 5745 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Crocs, cant beat them.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Crocs. I have the fur lined slippers and regular ones. As far as slippery, In the summer,
I wash the boat I run wearing Crocs. Now, if the tread is worn down, oh yea, slippery as hell.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post