SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Deere 2305 tractor help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Deere 2305 tractor help Login/Join 
posted
So, I'm in the market for a compact tractor with a front end loader and 60+ inches deck. An acquaintance of mine is selling his 2008 John Deere 2305 with 430 hrs with the attachments I'm looking for. The question for the tractor experts in what do you think would be a reasonable offer on the 2305?

Before this came up for sale, I was ready to buy a Kubota BX series with a FEL and 60" deck. Kubota is offering 84 months interest free with a $1000 instant rebate along with 6 years powertrain warranty. My mind says go with a new with a warranty but a chance at getting what I need at a lower cost is tempting as well.

Should I make an offer on the JD or just go with a new Kubota and the peace of mind that it has a warranty.

Thanks.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Here are some current listings for that model to get some idea.
https://www.tractorhouse.com/l...HN+DEERE&Mdltxt=2305

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Both are great machines but With the limited info you've given I'd probably go new. '

2305's with a loader and deck usually run $10K-11K. Even if you got it at a stellar price (lets say $8K), you just made a large lump sum investment in a nine year old machine that has no warranty or guarantees.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4576 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The worst thing about John Deere is the cost of parts which can be outrageous at times.

I would be more inclined to go with a new one.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2305 was not their best machine by far. I would not buy one new or used. They overheat and the aluminum plate the rear pto shaft bearing passes through is paper thin. If you get the pto in a bind it has a tendency to grenade the plate and you have to replace the whole rear chunk which costs more than the machine is worth. The Kubota BX is a far better machine.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'm swaying more and more towards a new machine. Smile

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2003 JD 4410.
My experience with JD Dealer service skills and overall repair costs causes me to suggest you go the new Kabota route.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I owned a John Deere for 28 years, a 750 compact built by Yanmar.

I still own a John Deere LX178 lawn tractor that I bought in 1995.

Having said that, I didn't even slow down as I whistled past the JD Dealer on my way to buy my new Kubota.

Modern compact JD's are NOT the tractor they were 20 years ago, too much plastic and electronics. Plus, as others have noted, Mother Deere is extremely proud of her parts.

Go new, go Kubota.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:
My experience with JD Dealer service skills and overall repair costs causes me to suggest you go the new Kabota route.

Amen!

No more JD for me.....

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
A new Kubota BX sounds more attractive to me as well. You might want to also check out the Kubota B2301 which might not be much more than a BX and it has additional features such as a 3-speed transmission.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
Here are some current listings for that model to get some idea.
https://www.tractorhouse.com/l...HN+DEERE&Mdltxt=2305

The for sale ads are about useless for determining value. As you can see, prices are all over the board.

The best way to use Tractorhouse to determine used values it's to look at the auction results. This is what money has exchanged hands for, typically after people bidding against each other.

Based on that I wouldn't give him more than $7500, maybe $8K if it's super clean. And that's only if I decided the 2305 was the machine I had to have (which would never happen). Want to steer while you're using your loader function? Nope. How about the fan blowing the air from the engine back at you while you're mowing on a 92 degree day? 4" clearance on the deck vs Kubota's 6" - I could go on and on.

The Kubota with the deals they have right now is a no brainer. Make sure they are figuring in the $300 DSA (Dealer Sales Allowance) discount on top of the $1,000 Orange Plus Rebate.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'm headed to the Kubota dealer this afternoon. The collective knowledge on SF is amazing as always. Smile

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have a Bobcat tractor that is a rebrand. It's also sold as a Kioti here in the US. They have a strong following and tend to offer more features at a lower price point that the Kubota.

I only have about 200 hours on 2012, and it has been 100% trouble free. I run a loader, forks, and box blade on it to maintain my property. I also have used it with a 72" finish mower to keep the grass mowed, and with a regular rear blade to push the occasional snow we get.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i would look at bigger units. By used if budget is an issue. In smaller tractors, bigger is always better. You will never say "I wish i would of bought a smaller one"!

Smile Wink

You will thank me later!!!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19707 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own two JD tractors, a 1020 gas with front end loader (mid - 1960's about 35 hp) and a 110 tractor loader backhoe (2003, diesel, 43 hp). Both are obviously older, heavily built and reliable. The TLB is more complex (read expensive) to fix and not quite as heavy duty.

I have looked at and compared Kubota and JD for some time and have recently had the opportunity to use a new Kubota tractor/loader/backhoe. IMO, JD has been resting on its laurels for some time, made a half hearted effort to improve, has made their equipment more complex but not better in the effort. The Kubota TLB was a refined, well thought out, well built, comfortable and easy to use machine. For comparable money, Kubota would be my choice. Since I fix my own equipment, I will keep and use my old machines.

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1991 Ford diesel. I have 900 hrs. I have only had one small issue on it since I bought it new. It is heavy duty, sips fuel and works all day. I use it for snow removal in the winter too. I do put it in my pole barn every night.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of the Kubota bx25d's last year.
Only real complaints I have about it is the ground speed.high range, flat out about 8mph..
Other is the cost of everything else.
Because I had to have the backhoe ( only takes a few minutes to take off/ put on ) .
Then a rototiller for the garden, then a post hole digger for the fence around the garden.
Then a brush-hog for the field out back. Oh and a back blade and landscaping box for the yard, ( just to get the bumps out and level everything off.
And don't forget a place to put it. that was the new pole barn ( but i got to use the post hole digger )
Then there's a trailer, your going to need a trailer. Because everyone you know is going to need you and your new tractor.
Oh and the new truck to pull the trailer and your new tractor to your new friends places, because your going to have a ton of new "friends".
But the most expensive cost is trying to pacify the wife/ girlfriend with all the money/ time your spending with/ on the tractor..
And lastly... For the love of God and all things on heaven and Earth, don't let your
significant other on the tractor or you may find yourself looking to buy another for yourself..

Oh btw.. I'm really happy with the Kubota, it's done everything that I could do with one of the bigger tractors, with less damage to the yard and in places I couldn't get something bigger. just takes a little longer, and definitely more fun

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post