SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Falcon ID
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Falcon ID Login/Join 
posted
Saw this guy perched in the tree recently. Stayed there long enough for me to get my spotting scope out and take a picture thru it with my phone.

Best I can come up with using my Birds of Michigan Field Guide is that it's an American Kestrel. Hoping someone on the forum can verify my ID or can give me a correct ID.

Usually see red tail hawks or rarely a bald eagle soaring around the area.

Posts: 271 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
How big would you estimate the raptor to be? Kestrel are pretty small and the ones around have distinct cheek/facial patterns I don’t see on the bird pictured.

Posts: 3031 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
The app I used said it is a Red Shouldered Hawk.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8755 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
The app I used said it is a Red Shouldered Hawk.

I think that is correct.

Kestrels (formerly known as Sparrow Hawks) are smaller and have a different color pattern.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8659 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post