SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lightweight shell for winter hiking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight shell for winter hiking Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
quote:
First Spear Wind Cheater better for husky body types. Speaking of Wind Cheater, Hill People Gear has their windbreaker type of the same name..not sure how there's no trademark infringement.

I have a First Spear Wind Cheater and really like it. It’s roomy and does need an under layer as it’s not very warm on it’s own. Fairly water resistant as well.

The Hill People Gear version has an option for a fur cuff on the hood. It is also made by First Spear under a cooperative agreement, along with some other Hill People gear.

What are the advantages of the Wind Cheater options vs something from the outdoor brand mentioned above? $250 for the HPG seems overpriced if they are the same jacket.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Columbia is having a 50% off sale right now!

https://www.columbia.com/c/mens-clothing-sale/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Im a big fan of Helly Hansen and Columbia. I'm using a HH shell in Antarctica now as my outer layer while hiking. It is one of the Oden jackets.

Which Oden do you use?

Sorry just saw this...
Odin 9

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en...rlds-20-jacket-62938

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
As usual, you people cost me money.

I have a Triple Aught shell/light jacket I really like but now that I've gone and looked at some of the stuff suggested, I can see a new fishing jacket coming up

Posts: 11228 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://www.first-spear.com/wind-cheater/

I like the pockets and pit zips are almost a must for me, plus the fit is better for my size and carrying a concealed weapon. Many of the others are made in an athletic cut that doesn’t fit my shoulders well and snug too tight at the waist and pistol.

Also, the HPG and First Spear labeled versions are made in USA.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
but my Kuiu Kenai is wearing out under my backpack straps. It's a mid layer, but gosh it worked well. Anyway, I could use suggestions for a breathable outer shell to throw over the Kenai.

When I used to do a lot of hiking also had problems with backpack straps wearing out good jackets. I started using 1 size bigger outdoor vests under the straps. Between the good jacket.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
but my Kuiu Kenai is wearing out under my backpack straps. It's a mid layer, but gosh it worked well. Anyway, I could use suggestions for a breathable outer shell to throw over the Kenai.

When I used to do a lot of hiking also had problems with backpack straps wearing out good jackets. I started using 1 size bigger outdoor vests under the straps. Between the good jacket.

Smart idea.

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Sorry just saw this...
Odin 9

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en...rlds-20-jacket-62938

Thank you!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
The Hill People Gear version has an option for a fur cuff on the hood. It is also made by First Spear under a cooperative agreement, along with some other Hill People gear.

Ahhh, co-labs....

Posts: 14669 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
So, you're looking for a soft-shell or stretchy windbreaker? Excellent direction, lots of versatility that Kenai is pretty heavy and doesn't lend itself for weather warmer than 40F. Lots of clearance sales going on right now, the marketplace is highly promotional for outdoor apparel.

I wear The North Face Stone Castle for a few years, durable, stretchy, not lined but, packable, been pretty happy. Outdoor Research's Ferosi Jkt is a long-time popular style, as is Marmot's Alsek, which replaced their super popular Approach Jkt. Arc'Teryx's Squamish Hoody has been quite popular and was the reason why BD came out with the Alpine Start. Rab's Borealis Jkt has been their most popular jkt, as is Simms' Flyweight Access Hoody both, may fit what you're looking for. I have the Davis Jkt from Flylow, stylish enough and functional for single-track rides.

For the non-outdoor side, Otte Gear's Super L wind shirt has been popular, mainly with the winter camo enthusiasts. Beyond Clothing's Ventum Ultralight is sharp. If you want tactical Gucci, Crye Precision's WindLiner is an option. First Spear Wind Cheater better for husky body types. Speaking of Wind Cheater, Hill People Gear has their windbreaker type of the same name..not sure how there's no trademark infringement.

I have the Alsek and the Ferrosi, and they seem to be constructed with the same material. The only difference I can see is that the Alsek has a thin, heavier lining. Is the Marmot stronger or more water-resistant?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I have the Alsek and the Ferrosi, and they seem to be constructed with the same material. The only difference I can see is that the Alsek has a thin, heavier lining. Is the Marmot stronger or more water-resistant?

Strong...as in more durable? Probably, the Alske replaced the Approach, which was a casual mid-weight soft-shell, I haven't played with it however, the success of the Ferrosi is a combination of its fabric stretch, durability, lack of bulk and breathability. Much more durable soft shells are usually winter styles with laminates, The North Face Apex Bionic, Arc'Teryx Gamma MX, the old Marmot Sharp Point, were very robust....but, the packed like shit and breathability was dependent on the outside air being freezing, hence why they were only available in the Fall/Winter.

Posts: 14669 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Strong...as in more durable? Probably, the Alske replaced the Approach, which was a casual mid-weight soft-shell, I haven't played with it however, the success of the Ferrosi is a combination of its fabric stretch, durability, lack of bulk and breathability. Much more durable soft shells are usually winter styles with laminates, The North Face Apex Bionic, Arc'Teryx Gamma MX, the old Marmot Sharp Point, were very robust....but, the packed like shit and breathability was dependent on the outside air being freezing, hence why they were only available in the Fall/Winter.

I don’t think something heavy that packs like crap would help me. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve invested a lot in my base and midlayers, and I look at a shell as just blocking out the wind or rain if I switch to my OR Foray. Even in single digits, I prefer light and breathable so my insulating layers can do their job without overheating.